Re: [z_scale] Banner ads in postings

  • jjabour
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
      Jeffery and the group

      These banners that are appearing are causing a stir in all the
      groups I belong to. Because Egroups is free, Egroups has to get
      their money some where and to do this they now put the ads
      at the top (they used to be at the bottom and every one ignored
      them). They will remove them from the top for $4.95 a month
      (or $59.40 a year). The lists that wanted them removed asked
      for donations (about 5 dollars each) and had the $60 in about
      2 days. However those lists have more members and more traffic
      per day then ours. I, for one, don't mind them but if the lists wants
      to get rid of them then I would contribute. This list is so valuable
      it would be worth the money.
      My 2 cents worth
      John

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
        At 9/3/00 07:03 PM, you wrote:
        >Jeffery and the group
        >
        >These banners that are appearing are causing a stir in all the
        >groups I belong to. Because Egroups is free, Egroups has to get
        >their money some where and to do this they now put the ads
        >at the top (they used to be at the bottom and every one ignored
        >them). They will remove them from the top for $4.95 a month
        >(or $59.40 a year). The lists that wanted them removed asked
        >for donations (about 5 dollars each) and had the $60 in about
        >2 days. However those lists have more members and more traffic
        >per day then ours. I, for one, don't mind them but if the lists wants
        >to get rid of them then I would contribute. This list is so valuable
        >it would be worth the money.
        >My 2 cents worth
        >John

        While I consider these ads a minor annoyance, I too am willing to
        contribute to get rid of them. If the list members wish this, let's all
        make sure that Jeffery doesn't have to contribute as the moderator.

        My only problem is that I'm a member of half a dozen egroup lists,
        and this could get expensive, far more expensive than just ignoring
        them. I try to make sure I delete them from replies, just as I do most
        signatures.

        Scott Whitmire
        whitmire@...
      • bjkronen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
          Scott, Reynard and others:

          There are well over 100 members on this list. Perhaps the list owner, or
          even one of us, could take up a collection of just $1 each, with the balance
          either going to charity, or held for the next year's ransom? A simple buck a
          year.

          Alternative: move to another free list service. Just a thought.

          I would hate to send $5 to all the lists I belong to.

          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston

          > >They will remove them from the top for $4.95 a month
          > >(or $59.40 a year). The lists that wanted them removed asked
          > >for donations (about 5 dollars each) and had the $60 in about
          > >2 days. However those lists have more members and more traffic
          > >per day then ours. I, for one, don't mind them but if the lists wants
          > >to get rid of them then I would contribute.
        • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
            At 01:43 AM 09/04/2000 -0400, Bill Kronenberger wrote:

            >Alternative: move to another free list service. Just a thought.
            >
            >I would hate to send $5 to all the lists I belong to.

            I think it just takes a little effort on our parts to lessen the impact of these ads to the minimum. If you turn of the HTML in your mail and set your preferences to text only the impact is minimized considerably.

            I see only text advertising and no flashy HTML stuff at the beginning of my e-mail because I set E-groups to text only output to me. I get about 5 to 6 lines of text at the beginning of each message which I skip over to get to the message and then when I reply to a message I edit the trash and other non essential parts out. If we all take time to do this I think you will find the situation quite tolerable. The cost may be 60.00 at present to get rid of the banner ads but there is no guarantee that will not increase over time.

            Garth