Re: [z_scale] egroups ads and reply feature

  • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
      At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:

      My Groups | z_scale Main Page | Start a new group!

      Sorry all.

      How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.

      Is this a new egroups thing?

      Humble apologies,

      Glen
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
        At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:

        ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
        >
        >Sorry all.
        >
        >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
        >
        >Is this a new egroups thing?
        >
        >Humble apologies,
        >
        >Glen

        This time I forced it into text only mode.
        This is what happens if I just hit the reply key without editing the message
        and you can see the difference in the two messages. This one has mixed mode because the original was in HTML and my reply is in text mode. If I allow the message to go without forcing it into text only this is what you get.

        Garth
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
          Hello All,
          Wow, I didn't release how unintended (on our part) these banners were foisted off on us and that our egroup was innocently blasting this garbage all over the place. I just thought certain parties were sending these things for extra money or something. These banners wreak havoc and have caused some screen freezes on my computer so I am not going to continue to participate in this egroup if this spaming continues. It just isn't worth it. I'll give it another week but if they don't go away I am going to have to de-subscribe.

          Regards to all,

          "Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO" wrote:

          > At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:
          >
          > ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
          > >
          > >Sorry all.
          > >
          > >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
          > >
          > >Is this a new egroups thing?
          > >
          > >Humble apologies,
          > >
          > >Glen

        • Ole Rosted
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
            On Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:51:10 -0500, Reynard Wellman
            <micron@...> wrote:

            >so I am not going to continue to participate in this egroup if this spaming continues.
            > I'll give it another week but if they don't go away I am going to have to de-subscribe.

            Believe me: It will NOT go away!! On the contrary - it will grow as
            time passes. The 6 lines will soon become 50 or more.

            It makes me really mad to be a sitting duck for innovative people
            trying to wringle money out of the Internet by forcing unwanted stuff
            on me, then letting me pay for getting rid of the spam. But I wouldn't
            dream of contributing to pay the ransom for not getting
            harassed/spammed. Not because of the money but by principle!

            I wonder what benefits the advertisers think they'll get from
            pestering their potential customers?

            I wouldn't even dream of quitting the z_scale list, though.

            Instead: let us go to somewhere else. There must be a list operator
            less greedy somewhere. I understand their/everyone's need for money,
            but they can do their advertisements on their web pages instead of
            pestering list members by forcing ads on them with each and every
            letter.

            regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
          • A H-Ellary
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
              i did not send advertising

              that is egroups put it in all the lists mail

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                actually i can help here if you want

                i am an isp and i can do email lists

                mail me of list to discuss

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                  At 07:39 AM 09/04/2000 +0100, A H-Ellary" <ahellary@... wrote:

                  i did not send advertising
                  that is egroups put it in all the lists mail

                  You are unwittingly sending the banner ads by replying to the mail and not editing the incoming banner ad out of the e-mail and not sending text only e-mail. IF you can colour your text and do other fancy things with the text in your e-mail then you are sending HTML and not plain text ASCII  code.

                  The HTML banner ads look like this at the top of the e-mail in HTML type e-mail.

                  My Groups     |  z scale main page   |  start a new group!
                  the text will be underlined and in colour and this is HTML Code that calls up the banner style ad. This is the result.

                  My Groups | z_scale Main Page | Start a new group!

                  In text mode the result looks like this
                  ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
                  and now you can see the hyper link that created the banner on your page but at least in text mode you do not see the banner.

                  If you edit this stuff out and you set your e-mail preferences to text only at e-groups then the banner add that you see is the text one from e-groups something like this.

                  GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                  Apply NOW!
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/14/_/487547/_/968071455/

                  E-groups is smart enough to know when you reply and include the banner ad not to add a second one to your reply whether in text mode or HTML mode.

                  The mail programs in Netscape and Explorer's Outlook Express may not enable you to readily shut off the HTML in you replies when replying to HTML mail but if you set the preferences in e-groups to text only this will go along way to cutting the problem down to size.

                  My apologies for the banwidth to those who know this but obviously there are many among us how do not.

                  Garth
                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                    Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
                    I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
                    banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
                    bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
                    nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.

                    I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
                    tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
                    we send our emails that way.

                    It was fun while it lasted.

                    Regards to All
                    Reynard

                    "Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO" wrote:

                    > At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:
                    >
                    > ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
                    > >
                    > >Sorry all.
                    > >
                    > >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
                    > >
                    > >Is this a new egroups thing?
                    > >
                    > >Humble apologies,
                    > >
                    > >Glen

                  • Jeffrey MacHan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                      Whoa, hold on there, Raynard! You don't have to quit the group to avoid the
                      banners. You have several options when it comes to receiving messages from
                      the server.

                      I suspect that you are receiving individual emails at the moment. Try
                      changing your message option to "web" or to "daily digests" although the
                      digest probably have the banners. If you use "web", you can go to the
                      Z_Scale message board any time you please. The messages are listed in order
                      of their date of posting. You can also check past messages since they are
                      archived for easy retrieval.

                      Use this link to go directly to the message board. There are no banners in
                      the archived messages.

                      http://www.egroups.com/messages/z_scale

                      Check this out before you decide to leave the group, Raynard. I'd hate to
                      see you go.

                      Jeffrey MacHan

                      >From: Reynard Wellman <micron@...>
                      >To: z_scale@egroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [z_scale] egroups ads and reply feature
                      >Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:21:10 -0500
                      >
                      >Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
                      >I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
                      >banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
                      >bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
                      >nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.
                      >
                      >I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
                      >tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
                      >we send our emails that way.
                      >
                      >It was fun while it lasted.
                      >
                      >Regards to All
                      >Reynard

                      http://profiles.msn.com
                    • Ed Scullin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                        I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
                        don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
                        banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
                        web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
                        provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
                        recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
                        mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
                        annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
                        SORRY)
                        If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
                        contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
                        Ed Scullin
                      • jjabour
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                          Ed
                          I highly recommend going the cable modem route if it's available to you
                          In my area it is less expensive the the modem route and it's great.
                          When members point you to their layouts, you can spend more time
                          looking at their layouts. You can get more Z inless time so now you
                          have more time to work on that layout (and maybe someday we will
                          catch up to Jeffery - but I doubt it)
                          John

                          >I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
                          >don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
                          >banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
                          >web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
                          >provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
                          >recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
                          >mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
                          >annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
                          >SORRY)
                          > If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
                          >contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
                          >Ed Scullin

                        • A H-Ellary
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                            hello all

                            as stated I am an isp I have just created a list that I guarantee
                            will not have banners to subscribe to the list send a blank email to
                            z-gauge-subscribe@...

                            A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

                          • megott@ufl.edu
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                              Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                              to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                              company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                              access to my computer that I never even knew went on.

                              Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                              computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                              You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                              acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                              keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                              permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                              get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.

                              Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                              --
                              Manfred
                            • Ole Rosted
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:54:50 -0400, you wrote:

                                >Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                                >to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                                >company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                                >access to my computer that I never even knew went on.
                                >
                                >Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                                >computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                                >You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                                >acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                                >keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                                >permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                                >get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.
                                >
                                >Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                                >--
                                >Manfred
                                >

                                >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

                                WHAT?? Did someone pay the ransom?

                                If not - then please tell me how Manfreds letter (cited in full above)
                                got here without any adds at all.

                                To stay off-topic: PC Viper (www.pcwiper.com) is a good alternative to
                                ZoneAlarm (betterr logging of events)

                                regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                              • megott@ufl.edu
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                  Ole,

                                  I don't know how or even if. I never recieved a copy of the message from
                                  the server. could it be possible that egroups put a program on all our
                                  computers to include the messages and it is Zonealarm and the fact that
                                  I got rid of some unknown programs that were accessing the internet that
                                  caused my message not to have an add on it?

                                  BTW is Viper also free? The original version of Zonealarm is. I was lead
                                  there by a link from another page that said zonealarm was the only
                                  program to compleatly make your computer disappear. It blocks all
                                  response from all the ports on the computer. Other programs leave some
                                  "openings" for your ISP to see if you are there and who you are. It is
                                  not really good netiquet to block that, but supposidly other people use
                                  this to find your computer and send spam. Also some ISPs will not
                                  connect you if this is blocked so you have to tell zonealarm to unblock
                                  it. I'm lucky in that I don't have to unblock it.

                                  Seems to work for me. ;-)
                                  --
                                  Manfred
                                • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                    Hi all

                                    We may have stumbled on a means of fooling the computer at eGroups.
                                    I am going to send this with this message with an http link in place. If it comes through with advert attached then the answer is to use the scale web site in each and every message.