Re: [z_scale] web page

  • moglen
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
      Surely the same applies for attachments?

      Glen
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
        Sorry all.

        How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.

        Is this a new egroups thing?

        Humble apologies,

        Glen

        A H-Ellary wrote:

        Hello allmy page about by railway has just hat is end of the month update. for thos of you who dont know it .. its a mythical rail wain set in trainsilvanya ( any loco that i like gets run) its modern image and is controlled by digitrax dcc system and winlok computer program... the site is very new as is the railway in fact construction only started on the railway back in dec 1999 so please email me with any tips or advice www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + w1nlok 2.1 now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

        Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

        Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

      • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
          At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, "moglen" <moglen@...> wrote:
          Sorry all.
          How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
          Is this a new egroups thing?

          There are several things you can do to remove these pests from your e-mail.

          First - to get rid of the HTML type adds you need to set your e-mail preferences in your profile to text only.
          second - turn off the HTML in your e-mail program and send your e-mail as text only.

          Once you have done one and two then there is a third.

          When replying to e-mail using the reply feature or reply all feature of your e-mail program take a second or two to edit out the parts that are not essential. and replace the "you wrote" in the first line so the line looks like this instead.

          At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, "moglen" <moglen@...> wrote:

          Then I edited out all of the trash and left just the part I am replying to

          Sorry all.
          How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
          Is this a new egroups thing? .

          The advertising problem is more noticeable now because e-Groups has started putting the ads at the beginning of the free e-mail instead of at the end of the e-mail. When it was at the end of the e-mail we selectively edited it out in our minds and it did not bother us. Now that it up front it is in the way and it is harder to ignore. E-Groups can now also charge to remove the advertising from the mail.

          Garth
        • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO

            A H-Ellary wrote:

            Hello allmy page about by railway has just hat is end of the month update. for thos of you who dont know it .. its a mythical rail wain set in trainsilvanya ( any loco that i like gets run) its modern image and is controlled by digitrax dcc system and winlok computer program... the site is very new as is the railway in fact construction only started on the railway back in dec 1999 so please email me with any tips or advice www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + w1nlok 2.1 now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

            Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

            Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

            Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

            This is what happens if I just hit the reply key without editing the message
            and you can see the difference in the two messages. This one has mixed mode because the original was in HTML and my reply is in text mode. If I allow the message to go without forcing it into text only this is what you get.

            Garth
          • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
              At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:

              ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
              >
              >Sorry all.
              >
              >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
              >
              >Is this a new egroups thing?
              >
              >Humble apologies,
              >
              >Glen

              This time I forced it into text only mode.
              This is what happens if I just hit the reply key without editing the message
              and you can see the difference in the two messages. This one has mixed mode because the original was in HTML and my reply is in text mode. If I allow the message to go without forcing it into text only this is what you get.

              Garth
            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                Hello All,
                Wow, I didn't release how unintended (on our part) these banners were foisted off on us and that our egroup was innocently blasting this garbage all over the place. I just thought certain parties were sending these things for extra money or something. These banners wreak havoc and have caused some screen freezes on my computer so I am not going to continue to participate in this egroup if this spaming continues. It just isn't worth it. I'll give it another week but if they don't go away I am going to have to de-subscribe.

                Regards to all,

                "Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO" wrote:

                > At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:
                >
                > ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
                > >
                > >Sorry all.
                > >
                > >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
                > >
                > >Is this a new egroups thing?
                > >
                > >Humble apologies,
                > >
                > >Glen

              • Ole Rosted
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                  On Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:51:10 -0500, Reynard Wellman
                  <micron@...> wrote:

                  >so I am not going to continue to participate in this egroup if this spaming continues.
                  > I'll give it another week but if they don't go away I am going to have to de-subscribe.

                  Believe me: It will NOT go away!! On the contrary - it will grow as
                  time passes. The 6 lines will soon become 50 or more.

                  It makes me really mad to be a sitting duck for innovative people
                  trying to wringle money out of the Internet by forcing unwanted stuff
                  on me, then letting me pay for getting rid of the spam. But I wouldn't
                  dream of contributing to pay the ransom for not getting
                  harassed/spammed. Not because of the money but by principle!

                  I wonder what benefits the advertisers think they'll get from
                  pestering their potential customers?

                  I wouldn't even dream of quitting the z_scale list, though.

                  Instead: let us go to somewhere else. There must be a list operator
                  less greedy somewhere. I understand their/everyone's need for money,
                  but they can do their advertisements on their web pages instead of
                  pestering list members by forcing ads on them with each and every
                  letter.

                  regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                • A H-Ellary
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                    i did not send advertising

                    that is egroups put it in all the lists mail

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                      actually i can help here if you want

                      i am an isp and i can do email lists

                      mail me of list to discuss

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                        At 07:39 AM 09/04/2000 +0100, A H-Ellary" <ahellary@... wrote:

                        i did not send advertising
                        that is egroups put it in all the lists mail

                        You are unwittingly sending the banner ads by replying to the mail and not editing the incoming banner ad out of the e-mail and not sending text only e-mail. IF you can colour your text and do other fancy things with the text in your e-mail then you are sending HTML and not plain text ASCII  code.

                        The HTML banner ads look like this at the top of the e-mail in HTML type e-mail.

                        My Groups     |  z scale main page   |  start a new group!
                        the text will be underlined and in colour and this is HTML Code that calls up the banner style ad. This is the result.

                        My Groups | z_scale Main Page | Start a new group!

                        In text mode the result looks like this
                        ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
                        and now you can see the hyper link that created the banner on your page but at least in text mode you do not see the banner.

                        If you edit this stuff out and you set your e-mail preferences to text only at e-groups then the banner add that you see is the text one from e-groups something like this.

                        GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                        Apply NOW!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/14/_/487547/_/968071455/

                        E-groups is smart enough to know when you reply and include the banner ad not to add a second one to your reply whether in text mode or HTML mode.

                        The mail programs in Netscape and Explorer's Outlook Express may not enable you to readily shut off the HTML in you replies when replying to HTML mail but if you set the preferences in e-groups to text only this will go along way to cutting the problem down to size.

                        My apologies for the banwidth to those who know this but obviously there are many among us how do not.

                        Garth
                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                          Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
                          I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
                          banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
                          bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
                          nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.

                          I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
                          tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
                          we send our emails that way.

                          It was fun while it lasted.

                          Regards to All
                          Reynard

                          "Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO" wrote:

                          > At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:
                          >
                          > ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
                          > >
                          > >Sorry all.
                          > >
                          > >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
                          > >
                          > >Is this a new egroups thing?
                          > >
                          > >Humble apologies,
                          > >
                          > >Glen

                        • Jeffrey MacHan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                            Whoa, hold on there, Raynard! You don't have to quit the group to avoid the
                            banners. You have several options when it comes to receiving messages from
                            the server.

                            I suspect that you are receiving individual emails at the moment. Try
                            changing your message option to "web" or to "daily digests" although the
                            digest probably have the banners. If you use "web", you can go to the
                            Z_Scale message board any time you please. The messages are listed in order
                            of their date of posting. You can also check past messages since they are
                            archived for easy retrieval.

                            Use this link to go directly to the message board. There are no banners in
                            the archived messages.

                            http://www.egroups.com/messages/z_scale

                            Check this out before you decide to leave the group, Raynard. I'd hate to
                            see you go.

                            Jeffrey MacHan

                            >From: Reynard Wellman <micron@...>
                            >To: z_scale@egroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [z_scale] egroups ads and reply feature
                            >Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:21:10 -0500
                            >
                            >Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
                            >I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
                            >banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
                            >bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
                            >nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.
                            >
                            >I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
                            >tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
                            >we send our emails that way.
                            >
                            >It was fun while it lasted.
                            >
                            >Regards to All
                            >Reynard

                            http://profiles.msn.com
                          • Ed Scullin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                              I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
                              don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
                              banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
                              web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
                              provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
                              recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
                              mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
                              annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
                              SORRY)
                              If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
                              contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
                              Ed Scullin
                            • jjabour
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                                Ed
                                I highly recommend going the cable modem route if it's available to you
                                In my area it is less expensive the the modem route and it's great.
                                When members point you to their layouts, you can spend more time
                                looking at their layouts. You can get more Z inless time so now you
                                have more time to work on that layout (and maybe someday we will
                                catch up to Jeffery - but I doubt it)
                                John

                                >I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
                                >don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
                                >banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
                                >web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
                                >provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
                                >recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
                                >mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
                                >annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
                                >SORRY)
                                > If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
                                >contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
                                >Ed Scullin

                              • A H-Ellary
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                                  hello all

                                  as stated I am an isp I have just created a list that I guarantee
                                  will not have banners to subscribe to the list send a blank email to
                                  z-gauge-subscribe@...

                                  A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

                                • megott@ufl.edu
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                    Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                                    to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                                    company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                                    access to my computer that I never even knew went on.

                                    Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                                    computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                                    You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                                    acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                                    keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                                    permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                                    get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.

                                    Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                                    --
                                    Manfred
                                  • Ole Rosted
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                      On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:54:50 -0400, you wrote:

                                      >Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                                      >to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                                      >company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                                      >access to my computer that I never even knew went on.
                                      >
                                      >Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                                      >computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                                      >You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                                      >acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                                      >keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                                      >permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                                      >get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.
                                      >
                                      >Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                                      >--
                                      >Manfred
                                      >

                                      >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

                                      WHAT?? Did someone pay the ransom?

                                      If not - then please tell me how Manfreds letter (cited in full above)
                                      got here without any adds at all.

                                      To stay off-topic: PC Viper (www.pcwiper.com) is a good alternative to
                                      ZoneAlarm (betterr logging of events)

                                      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                                    • megott@ufl.edu
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                        Ole,

                                        I don't know how or even if. I never recieved a copy of the message from
                                        the server. could it be possible that egroups put a program on all our
                                        computers to include the messages and it is Zonealarm and the fact that
                                        I got rid of some unknown programs that were accessing the internet that
                                        caused my message not to have an add on it?

                                        BTW is Viper also free? The original version of Zonealarm is. I was lead
                                        there by a link from another page that said zonealarm was the only
                                        program to compleatly make your computer disappear. It blocks all
                                        response from all the ports on the computer. Other programs leave some
                                        "openings" for your ISP to see if you are there and who you are. It is
                                        not really good netiquet to block that, but supposidly other people use
                                        this to find your computer and send spam. Also some ISPs will not
                                        connect you if this is blocked so you have to tell zonealarm to unblock
                                        it. I'm lucky in that I don't have to unblock it.

                                        Seems to work for me. ;-)
                                        --
                                        Manfred
                                      • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                                          Hi all

                                          We may have stumbled on a means of fooling the computer at eGroups.
                                          I am going to send this with this message with an http link in place. If it comes through with advert attached then the answer is to use the scale web site in each and every message.