RE: [z_scale] uhlenbrock?

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
      Ted,

      Yes and no - don't forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
      to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
      you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses (albeit very quickly)
      and that builds up heat awful fast.

      I have had best results when I lower the entire DCC system's voltage to
      10 volts. Most DCC systems still work fine, and I can lower the voltage
      at the power supply level. It is a fairly easy solution.

      Best,
      -Rob

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
        >Dont forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
        >to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
        >you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses

        Right!! Thanks - I remember that now. I've never had to pay attention
        with my HO gear. :)

        Thanks, Rob!