Re: [z_scale] uhlenbrock?

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
      >which will limit (or boost?) the
      >voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale

      It would seem to me that you could just alter the "speed table" in the
      decoder in order to limit the voltage. 16 volts on a Z dcc system
      shouldn't be an issue, as the decoder gets the current, not the locomotive.
      The loco only gets juice delivered from the decoder.

    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
        Ted,

        Yes and no - don't forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
        to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
        you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses (albeit very quickly)
        and that builds up heat awful fast.

        I have had best results when I lower the entire DCC system's voltage to
        10 volts. Most DCC systems still work fine, and I can lower the voltage
        at the power supply level. It is a fairly easy solution.

        Best,
        -Rob

        >voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale

        It would seem to me that you could just alter the "speed table" in the
        decoder in order to limit the voltage. 16 volts on a Z dcc system
        shouldn't be an issue, as the decoder gets the current, not the
        locomotive.
        The loco only gets juice delivered from the decoder.

        "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
        DoseZ!

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
          >Dont forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
          >to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
          >you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses

          Right!! Thanks - I remember that now. I've never had to pay attention
          with my HO gear. :)

          Thanks, Rob!