Flex - Marklin or MT?

  • Flayrah
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      I've decided to try and use most, if not all, flex-track in a small
      layout. I've read good and bad points about both Marklin and Micro-
      Trains track - what are your experiences with either or both? I'll
      be making small curves (equivalent to Marklin 8510), and plan on
      soldering the pieces together before making any bends.

      I tried Peco and was disappointed in the results.
    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Flayrah" <flayrah@y...> wrote:
        > I've read good and bad points about both Marklin and Micro-
        > Trains track - what are your experiences with either or both?

        Have tried both Peco and MT track. Prefer MT. Never tried Marklin
        other than turnouts, but MT track is compatible.

        The good:

        Retains shape away from the ends, really helps when soldering joints
        on curves, ends try to spring straight just like any other flex track
        where tie retention is reduced. If you end a flex track in a curve
        where plastic insulated rail joiners (unsolderable) are used, you
        might want to end the curve with a short piece of sectional track
        instead soldered to the flex, or spike the rails (not the ties) of
        the flex firmly and hide under ballast.

        Close tie spacing, nice appearance.

        The bad:

        Available only in short lengths 317.5mm (12.5"), so rail joints on a
        180 degree curve cannot be avoided. MT has no plans to change
        production length at this time. Maybe if they received more requests
        for this...

        Fragile; excessive force during install of joiners can make the rails
        pop out of the ties. Don't bother trying to fit back in, start a new
        piece. Best to start joiners on rails with the tracks lying on a
        flat surface. (This is not really a fault of the MT track, more the
        price we pay for realistic looking scale molded spikes).
      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          >I've read good and bad points about both Marklin and Micro-
          >Trains track - what are your experiences with either or both?

          I like them both.

          I use MT for visible/mainline track and Peco for spurs and staging.

          I like the longer length of the Peco, but prefer the bending qualities of
          MT.

          If I had to use only one it would be MT.