Re: [z_scale] uhlenbrock?

  • kurtulueck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
      Wow! Much traffic on the DCC list!

      DCC can be used on Z scale - the frequency is not the problem with the
      control unit or the boosters, because this is a kind of standard at NMRA DCC Systems
      like Lenz, Digitrax,... and Uhlenbrock. Frequency is an issue of the used
      decoder and types of motors in your s Z scale equipment. Standard decoder using
      relative low frequency PWM may cause damage to Faulhaber motors, normal 3 or 5
      pole motors should be OK with them. Most of the modern small DCC decoder
      provide high frequency PWM to the motor and so they are also suitable to Faulhaber
      and similar motors.

      The really important issue is the current. This needs to be limited! A 12 V
      supply to my Lenz systems provides about 10V to the motor. This has been proven
      due to several sessions on the Red Rock Railroad - the last took 7 hours more
      or less continous operation.

      Try to limit the input current at your Intellibox as low as possible - just
      do a test with a standard train transformer connected to the Intellibox. Put a
      voltmeter at the output of the transformer and start at full throttle. Then
      turn the voltage down until the Intellibox quits. So yo will know what is
      feasible. Then measure the voltage at the track at minimum input voltage. If it is
      just between 10V and 11 V you are OK.

      Good luck

      Kurt

      The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
      http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html

    • stacyeisenmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
        Kevin,
        Thanks for the input. What you recommend sounds familiar in
        conversations I've have months ago. I haven't committed to a z scale
        digital format yet, but I've gone with uhlenbrock decoders for the ho
        christmas set.

        The intellibox is enticing because of the 'one box' solution that's
        convenient, upgradeable, and pretty. It's route controller functions
        are enticing too. I am purchasing it mainly because for the ho sets,
        I can run either trix 2 rail, markling 3 rail or whatever and run on
        the same layout (this is nice). At nearly $500, I only want to buy
        one system that works with Z too.

        thanks,
        david

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jager6863" <jager6863@s...> wrote:
        > Hi David,
        >
        > I've been considering using the Intellibox for my Z-scale layout as
        well as
        > my Marklin HO Christmas layout. I want to go digital, however I
        don't want
        > to own two different systems. This what I have dsicovered;
        >
        > The smallest decoders for Z-scale are made by MUT/Digirail. These
        are the
        > same decoders available installed by Schmidt in Z-scale locomotives.
        > MUT/Digirail only uses the Selectrix (Trix) digital system which is not
        > compatiable with DCC or Marklin Motorola format.
        >
        > The Intellibox works with DCC, Marklin Motorola Format 1 and 2 and
        Selectrix
        > decoders, plus others. The Intellibox needs 16volts of input power,
        usually
        > supplied by a Marklin 6001 transformer. This is great for Marklin
        HO, but
        > for Z-scale you need to do something different. I have been told
        that you
        > can use the Intellibox for Z-scale by using the "N-scale" setting
        and then
        > routing this to a Lenz LV101 booster which will limit (or boost?) the
        > voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale. Keep in mind that I
        haven't
        > tried this, only been told that it will work.
        >
        > Hopefully this inf
        ormation is correct, if not I'd love to hear additional

      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
          >which will limit (or boost?) the
          >voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale

          It would seem to me that you could just alter the "speed table" in the
          decoder in order to limit the voltage. 16 volts on a Z dcc system
          shouldn't be an issue, as the decoder gets the current, not the locomotive.
          The loco only gets juice delivered from the decoder.

        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
            Ted,

            Yes and no - don't forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
            to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
            you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses (albeit very quickly)
            and that builds up heat awful fast.

            I have had best results when I lower the entire DCC system's voltage to
            10 volts. Most DCC systems still work fine, and I can lower the voltage
            at the power supply level. It is a fairly easy solution.

            Best,
            -Rob

            >voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale

            It would seem to me that you could just alter the "speed table" in the
            decoder in order to limit the voltage. 16 volts on a Z dcc system
            shouldn't be an issue, as the decoder gets the current, not the
            locomotive.
            The loco only gets juice delivered from the decoder.

            "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
            DoseZ!

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
              >Dont forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
              >to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
              >you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses

              Right!! Thanks - I remember that now. I've never had to pay attention
              with my HO gear. :)

              Thanks, Rob!