Re: [z_scale] uhlenbrock?

  • jager6863
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hi David,

      I've been considering using the Intellibox for my Z-scale layout as well as
      my Marklin HO Christmas layout. I want to go digital, however I don't want
      to own two different systems. This what I have dsicovered;

      The smallest decoders for Z-scale are made by MUT/Digirail. These are the
      same decoders available installed by Schmidt in Z-scale locomotives.
      MUT/Digirail only uses the Selectrix (Trix) digital system which is not
      compatiable with DCC or Marklin Motorola format.

      The Intellibox works with DCC, Marklin Motorola Format 1 and 2 and Selectrix
      decoders, plus others. The Intellibox needs 16volts of input power, usually
      supplied by a Marklin 6001 transformer. This is great for Marklin HO, but
      for Z-scale you need to do something different. I have been told that you
      can use the Intellibox for Z-scale by using the "N-scale" setting and then
      routing this to a Lenz LV101 booster which will limit (or boost?) the
      voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale. Keep in mind that I haven't
      tried this, only been told that it will work.

      Hopefully this information is correct, if not I'd love to hear additional
      comments from members of the list.

      Thanks,

      Kevin
    • Manfred Geister
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hi David!

        As you already mentioned, the main problems of all H0-digitalsets are
        output frequency(!!!) and output voltage, which is always at the
        maximum of about 16 Volt. So therefore (here in Europe) we all don't
        use H0-Sets. It's definitly destroying the motors of your Z-locos!
        Z-locos should not be used with more than 10 Volt! Some of my friends
        tried to use a different (means lower-voltage) power supply for the
        controlbox, but the result was, that there have still been some
        problems left frequency, ...). I'm sorry for you, having no better
        informations,

        yours,

        Manfred (Austria, Europe)

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
          I notice that Mut (www.muet-gmbh.de) controller has a Z scale option. I
          can't figure out what the actual difference is from their website, perhaps
          someone with better german can confirm (I assume it's voltage) Personally
          I'm getting tempted to go down the Selectrix route, but merg
          (www.merg.org.uk) here in the UK have self build DCC controllers which I
          quite like the idea of and changing the voltage is easy if you have the
          circuit diagram. Merg also have their meetings local to me so I might be
          able to get some help with making drop in PCBs for the larger diesels. Also
          CT Elektronik (www.tran.at) are threating to make even smaller decoders than
          the DCX74 (and they seem Z friendly).
          Unhlenbrook do however have some of their manuals in English and have an
          active support group on yahoo.
          Since at the moment I'm not in a position to go digital (Moving house some
          time soon, so I'll wait until I do a new layout) I'm sitting back and
          waiting however the whole digital arena for Z folks is still up in the air,
          particularly as PIC seem to have some very slim packaging which should
          shrink the next generation of DCC decoders.

          --
          Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
          Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
            Wow! Much traffic on the DCC list!

            DCC can be used on Z scale - the frequency is not the problem with the
            control unit or the boosters, because this is a kind of standard at NMRA DCC Systems
            like Lenz, Digitrax,... and Uhlenbrock. Frequency is an issue of the used
            decoder and types of motors in your s Z scale equipment. Standard decoder using
            relative low frequency PWM may cause damage to Faulhaber motors, normal 3 or 5
            pole motors should be OK with them. Most of the modern small DCC decoder
            provide high frequency PWM to the motor and so they are also suitable to Faulhaber
            and similar motors.

            The really important issue is the current. This needs to be limited! A 12 V
            supply to my Lenz systems provides about 10V to the motor. This has been proven
            due to several sessions on the Red Rock Railroad - the last took 7 hours more
            or less continous operation.

            Try to limit the input current at your Intellibox as low as possible - just
            do a test with a standard train transformer connected to the Intellibox. Put a
            voltmeter at the output of the transformer and start at full throttle. Then
            turn the voltage down until the Intellibox quits. So yo will know what is
            feasible. Then measure the voltage at the track at minimum input voltage. If it is
            just between 10V and 11 V you are OK.

            Good luck

            Kurt

            The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
            http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html

          • stacyeisenmann
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
              Kevin,
              Thanks for the input. What you recommend sounds familiar in
              conversations I've have months ago. I haven't committed to a z scale
              digital format yet, but I've gone with uhlenbrock decoders for the ho
              christmas set.

              The intellibox is enticing because of the 'one box' solution that's
              convenient, upgradeable, and pretty. It's route controller functions
              are enticing too. I am purchasing it mainly because for the ho sets,
              I can run either trix 2 rail, markling 3 rail or whatever and run on
              the same layout (this is nice). At nearly $500, I only want to buy
              one system that works with Z too.

              thanks,
              david

            • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
                >which will limit (or boost?) the
                >voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale

                It would seem to me that you could just alter the "speed table" in the
                decoder in order to limit the voltage. 16 volts on a Z dcc system
                shouldn't be an issue, as the decoder gets the current, not the locomotive.
                The loco only gets juice delivered from the decoder.

              • Robert Allbritton
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Ted,

                  Yes and no - don't forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
                  to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
                  you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses (albeit very quickly)
                  and that builds up heat awful fast.

                  I have had best results when I lower the entire DCC system's voltage to
                  10 volts. Most DCC systems still work fine, and I can lower the voltage
                  at the power supply level. It is a fairly easy solution.

                  Best,
                  -Rob

                  >voltage to around 10 volts, perfect for Z-scale

                  It would seem to me that you could just alter the "speed table" in the
                  decoder in order to limit the voltage. 16 volts on a Z dcc system
                  shouldn't be an issue, as the decoder gets the current, not the
                  locomotive.
                  The loco only gets juice delivered from the decoder.

                  "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                  DoseZ!

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2003
                    >Dont forget that almost all DCC decoders use pulse power
                    >to *simulate* the desired voltage. If you feed your rails 16 volts, then
                    >you Z Scale loco is going to get 16 Volt pulses

                    Right!! Thanks - I remember that now. I've never had to pay attention
                    with my HO gear. :)

                    Thanks, Rob!