coil car?

  • Charles Kuttner
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
      I saw several cars, as I was driving by a local switching yard, of a
      type I don't think I'd ever seen. I'm asking not so much because I want
      them on my Z layout, as I just don't know what the prototype is for.

      They were old, I would estimate dating from the late 1940s to early
      1950s by the weathering of the paint, which was approximately olive
      drab, and they looked industrial. The cars almost looked European,
      being relatively short (perhaps 40 feet = 12 meters), essentially a
      half a cylinder that ran the length of the car, with the flat side down
      and the curved side up.

      On the frame of the side, they had lettering saying "Coil Car."

      Anyone have an idea what this car does?

      thanks in advance,

      Charles Kuttner, MD
      Portland, OR
      USA
      http://cmug.com/~ckuttner/

      Propietor, psychopathist and microferroequinologist, Oakville &
      Poorfarm RR
    • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
        Carries coils of steel sheet between the mills and the fabrication plants.
        The tops are lifted off and the coils hoisted off with a crane.

        John C. La Rue, Jr.