Re: Train Shows

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi guys,

      I have found a listing of some of the larger UK shows on the UK
      hobby shop list (see our Links area). I have also listed a good
      sample of the larger international shows in our database area.

      The NMRA Bulletin lists shows that are run by NMRA divisions
      and regions. Additionally some club shows are listed, but far
      fewer than actually take place since these listings must be sent
      to the magazine 3-4 months in advance. These listings are not
      repeated on the NMRA.org web site.

      I have found that the majority of NA shows receive very little
      publicity on the web. Most are publicized by local flyers and
      community media. The larger annual shows may have a web
      presence but they can be hard to find unless someone in their
      organisation posts a notice on rec.models.railroad or
      uk.rec.models.rail. Model railroad clubs that have web sites may
      also list local events.

      I have also found that a good way to find out about shows taking
      place during a trip is to post a question to RMR or UKRMR.
      Usually somebody will provide some info.

      Other sources of info are Model Railroader Magazine, and
      Google (keywords: hobby show "destination") and Trains.com
      under their hobby show listing.

      Good luck on your project, Larry. I think that it will be rather
      difficult to keep up to date as many shows come and go with no
      prior warning.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
      > Don:
      >

      > > There are a lot more shows than GATS.
      >
      > A lot of them appear in the monthly NMRA bulletin. I haven't
      check the NMRA
      > website to see if they are duplicated there as well. But it would
      be worth a
      > look.
      >
      > Bill K.
      > Houston

    • Melissa Musante
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
        While we're on the subject... Trainfest is fast approaching. It's next
        weekend (11-7&8) at the Wisconsin State Fair grounds in Milwaukee.
        There isn't a lot of z there but there's usually some, and by now I
        think the dealers know to bring some z stuff too. I was hoping to have
        a layout there but I just didn't get it finished. It is far enough
        along that I can say, definitively, that it will be there next year!
        (maybe I'll pop the "not quite finished Indiana Jones layout in my bag)
        Anyway, despite the lack of z there are a lot of layouts, and big
        ones, and I always come away with a lot of great ideas :)

        if anyone out there wants to hook up on Saturday that would be peachy.

        melissa
      • Bill Powers
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
          Hi, My wife And I are planning to be at the show. Big guy with a short cut beard and a special for. green beret. Bill Powers 262-279-6591
          While we're on the subject... Trainfest is fast approaching. It's next
          weekend (11-7&8) at the Wisconsin State Fair grounds in Milwaukee.
          There isn't a lot of z there but there's usually some, and by now I
          think the dealers know to bring some z stuff too. I was hoping to have
          a layout there but I just didn't get it finished. It is far enough
          along that I can say, definitively, that it will be there next year!
          (maybe I'll pop the "not quite finished Indiana Jones layout in my bag)
          Anyway, despite the lack of z there are a lot of layouts, and big
          ones, and I always come away with a lot of great ideas :)

          if anyone out there wants to hook up on Saturday that would be peachy.

          melissa

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Larry Donsbach
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
            My original message requested any information on a comprehensive site where
            one could find information on train shows in North America. I received many
            replies which included suggested sites.

            I wasn’t idle while I waited for feedback. I used the “Google” search
            engine to see what was available and was really surprised that there were 74
            pages of hits.

            You maybe thinking that I should have used a search engine in the first
            place and I probably should have. Had I not broached the question to the
            membership of this group, I would not have received or found the most
            comprehensive site of the many, many that I went to. After visiting the
            first ten pages listed by Google, I have to vote www.trainshowschedule.us
            <http://www.trainshowschedule.us/> the best of the sites for listing U.S.
            trainshows. (I want to thank Russell Straw of the n_scale group for
            providing the information [Google never listed this site}).

            I hope that everyone that reads this will pass the web address to those
            individuals they know that are sponsoring a train show in the US.
            webmaster@... <mailto:webmaster@...>

            Just a reminder to all:

            November is National Model Railroading Month.

            And

            It is always the “Worlds Greatest Hobby”

            Larry Donsbach
            San Antonio, TX

          • jmac_han
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
              Thanks for unearthing this resource for train show listings.
              Judging from the number of visitors it doesn't appear to be very
              well known. I checked out some of the areas that I am familiar
              with and the show coverage is spotty. The major population
              centres are well documented but the coverage of activities in
              New England and the central states is pretty thin. Several states
              had no listings at all.

              Perhaps this site will "pick up steam" over time. In my opinion it
              should not be considered authoritative but just one resource
              among many. Unfortunately, "comprehensive" it is not.

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Donsbach"
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                If more and more people send in input, it should be better than most of the
                sites I visited. From what I could see, it was not restricted to any one
                group of shows but listed all that are provided. “Comprehensive” may be a
                little strong at this time but it is better than any of the other sites that
                I visited.

                Larry Donsbach
                San Antonio, TX