RE: [z_scale] Train Shows

  • Larry Donsbach
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
      There are a lot more shows than GATS. I would like to know where shows are
      when I travel without a lot of WEB searching. Even here is South Texas
      there are shows I don’t know about that might be of interest. In addition,
      there must be a lot more people out there that would be interested in shows
      both in NA and in Europe, especially Z scalers.

      Larry Donsbach
      San Antonio, TX

    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
        Don:

        > There are a lot more shows than GATS.

        A lot of them appear in the monthly NMRA bulletin. I haven't check the NMRA
        website to see if they are duplicated there as well. But it would be worth a
        look.

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • jmac_han
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi guys,

          I have found a listing of some of the larger UK shows on the UK
          hobby shop list (see our Links area). I have also listed a good
          sample of the larger international shows in our database area.

          The NMRA Bulletin lists shows that are run by NMRA divisions
          and regions. Additionally some club shows are listed, but far
          fewer than actually take place since these listings must be sent
          to the magazine 3-4 months in advance. These listings are not
          repeated on the NMRA.org web site.

          I have found that the majority of NA shows receive very little
          publicity on the web. Most are publicized by local flyers and
          community media. The larger annual shows may have a web
          presence but they can be hard to find unless someone in their
          organisation posts a notice on rec.models.railroad or
          uk.rec.models.rail. Model railroad clubs that have web sites may
          also list local events.

          I have also found that a good way to find out about shows taking
          place during a trip is to post a question to RMR or UKRMR.
          Usually somebody will provide some info.

          Other sources of info are Model Railroader Magazine, and
          Google (keywords: hobby show "destination") and Trains.com
          under their hobby show listing.

          Good luck on your project, Larry. I think that it will be rather
          difficult to keep up to date as many shows come and go with no
          prior warning.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
          > Don:
          >

          > > There are a lot more shows than GATS.
          >
          > A lot of them appear in the monthly NMRA bulletin. I haven't
          check the NMRA
          > website to see if they are duplicated there as well. But it would
          be worth a
          > look.
          >
          > Bill K.
          > Houston

        • Melissa Musante
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
            While we're on the subject... Trainfest is fast approaching. It's next
            weekend (11-7&8) at the Wisconsin State Fair grounds in Milwaukee.
            There isn't a lot of z there but there's usually some, and by now I
            think the dealers know to bring some z stuff too. I was hoping to have
            a layout there but I just didn't get it finished. It is far enough
            along that I can say, definitively, that it will be there next year!
            (maybe I'll pop the "not quite finished Indiana Jones layout in my bag)
            Anyway, despite the lack of z there are a lot of layouts, and big
            ones, and I always come away with a lot of great ideas :)

            if anyone out there wants to hook up on Saturday that would be peachy.

            melissa
          • Bill Powers
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
              Hi, My wife And I are planning to be at the show. Big guy with a short cut beard and a special for. green beret. Bill Powers 262-279-6591
              While we're on the subject... Trainfest is fast approaching. It's next
              weekend (11-7&8) at the Wisconsin State Fair grounds in Milwaukee.
              There isn't a lot of z there but there's usually some, and by now I
              think the dealers know to bring some z stuff too. I was hoping to have
              a layout there but I just didn't get it finished. It is far enough
              along that I can say, definitively, that it will be there next year!
              (maybe I'll pop the "not quite finished Indiana Jones layout in my bag)
              Anyway, despite the lack of z there are a lot of layouts, and big
              ones, and I always come away with a lot of great ideas :)

              if anyone out there wants to hook up on Saturday that would be peachy.

              melissa

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Larry Donsbach
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                My original message requested any information on a comprehensive site where
                one could find information on train shows in North America. I received many
                replies which included suggested sites.

                I wasn’t idle while I waited for feedback. I used the “Google” search
                engine to see what was available and was really surprised that there were 74
                pages of hits.

                You maybe thinking that I should have used a search engine in the first
                place and I probably should have. Had I not broached the question to the
                membership of this group, I would not have received or found the most
                comprehensive site of the many, many that I went to. After visiting the
                first ten pages listed by Google, I have to vote www.trainshowschedule.us
                <http://www.trainshowschedule.us/> the best of the sites for listing U.S.
                trainshows. (I want to thank Russell Straw of the n_scale group for
                providing the information [Google never listed this site}).

                I hope that everyone that reads this will pass the web address to those
                individuals they know that are sponsoring a train show in the US.
                webmaster@... <mailto:webmaster@...>

                Just a reminder to all:

                November is National Model Railroading Month.

                And

                It is always the “Worlds Greatest Hobby”

                Larry Donsbach
                San Antonio, TX

              • jmac_han
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                  Thanks for unearthing this resource for train show listings.
                  Judging from the number of visitors it doesn't appear to be very
                  well known. I checked out some of the areas that I am familiar
                  with and the show coverage is spotty. The major population
                  centres are well documented but the coverage of activities in
                  New England and the central states is pretty thin. Several states
                  had no listings at all.

                  Perhaps this site will "pick up steam" over time. In my opinion it
                  should not be considered authoritative but just one resource
                  among many. Unfortunately, "comprehensive" it is not.

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Donsbach"
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                    If more and more people send in input, it should be better than most of the
                    sites I visited. From what I could see, it was not restricted to any one
                    group of shows but listed all that are provided. “Comprehensive” may be a
                    little strong at this time but it is better than any of the other sites that
                    I visited.

                    Larry Donsbach
                    San Antonio, TX