Train Shows

  • Larry Donsbach
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
      Does anyone know if there is some one actively working on a web site
      that will list all the trains shows throughout the North America and
      beyond the North American borders? If there is one, how far along is
      it?

      Before I start a new group devoted to listing trains shows, I want to
      know if it would be for naught.

      Larry
      San Antonio, TX
    • Joe Brum
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
        Go to gats.com/ Joe
      • Larry Donsbach
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
          There are a lot more shows than GATS. I would like to know where shows are
          when I travel without a lot of WEB searching. Even here is South Texas
          there are shows I don’t know about that might be of interest. In addition,
          there must be a lot more people out there that would be interested in shows
          both in NA and in Europe, especially Z scalers.

          Larry Donsbach
          San Antonio, TX

        • zbendtrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
            Don:

            > There are a lot more shows than GATS.

            A lot of them appear in the monthly NMRA bulletin. I haven't check the NMRA
            website to see if they are duplicated there as well. But it would be worth a
            look.

            Bill K.
            Houston

          • jmac_han
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
              Hi guys,

              I have found a listing of some of the larger UK shows on the UK
              hobby shop list (see our Links area). I have also listed a good
              sample of the larger international shows in our database area.

              The NMRA Bulletin lists shows that are run by NMRA divisions
              and regions. Additionally some club shows are listed, but far
              fewer than actually take place since these listings must be sent
              to the magazine 3-4 months in advance. These listings are not
              repeated on the NMRA.org web site.

              I have found that the majority of NA shows receive very little
              publicity on the web. Most are publicized by local flyers and
              community media. The larger annual shows may have a web
              presence but they can be hard to find unless someone in their
              organisation posts a notice on rec.models.railroad or
              uk.rec.models.rail. Model railroad clubs that have web sites may
              also list local events.

              I have also found that a good way to find out about shows taking
              place during a trip is to post a question to RMR or UKRMR.
              Usually somebody will provide some info.

              Other sources of info are Model Railroader Magazine, and
              Google (keywords: hobby show "destination") and Trains.com
              under their hobby show listing.

              Good luck on your project, Larry. I think that it will be rather
              difficult to keep up to date as many shows come and go with no
              prior warning.

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
              > Don:
              >

              > > There are a lot more shows than GATS.
              >
              > A lot of them appear in the monthly NMRA bulletin. I haven't
              check the NMRA
              > website to see if they are duplicated there as well. But it would
              be worth a
              > look.
              >
              > Bill K.
              > Houston

            • Melissa Musante
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
                While we're on the subject... Trainfest is fast approaching. It's next
                weekend (11-7&8) at the Wisconsin State Fair grounds in Milwaukee.
                There isn't a lot of z there but there's usually some, and by now I
                think the dealers know to bring some z stuff too. I was hoping to have
                a layout there but I just didn't get it finished. It is far enough
                along that I can say, definitively, that it will be there next year!
                (maybe I'll pop the "not quite finished Indiana Jones layout in my bag)
                Anyway, despite the lack of z there are a lot of layouts, and big
                ones, and I always come away with a lot of great ideas :)

                if anyone out there wants to hook up on Saturday that would be peachy.

                melissa
              • Bill Powers
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                  Hi, My wife And I are planning to be at the show. Big guy with a short cut beard and a special for. green beret. Bill Powers 262-279-6591
                  While we're on the subject... Trainfest is fast approaching. It's next
                  weekend (11-7&8) at the Wisconsin State Fair grounds in Milwaukee.
                  There isn't a lot of z there but there's usually some, and by now I
                  think the dealers know to bring some z stuff too. I was hoping to have
                  a layout there but I just didn't get it finished. It is far enough
                  along that I can say, definitively, that it will be there next year!
                  (maybe I'll pop the "not quite finished Indiana Jones layout in my bag)
                  Anyway, despite the lack of z there are a lot of layouts, and big
                  ones, and I always come away with a lot of great ideas :)

                  if anyone out there wants to hook up on Saturday that would be peachy.

                  melissa

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Larry Donsbach
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                    My original message requested any information on a comprehensive site where
                    one could find information on train shows in North America. I received many
                    replies which included suggested sites.

                    I wasn’t idle while I waited for feedback. I used the “Google” search
                    engine to see what was available and was really surprised that there were 74
                    pages of hits.

                    You maybe thinking that I should have used a search engine in the first
                    place and I probably should have. Had I not broached the question to the
                    membership of this group, I would not have received or found the most
                    comprehensive site of the many, many that I went to. After visiting the
                    first ten pages listed by Google, I have to vote www.trainshowschedule.us
                    <http://www.trainshowschedule.us/> the best of the sites for listing U.S.
                    trainshows. (I want to thank Russell Straw of the n_scale group for
                    providing the information [Google never listed this site}).

                    I hope that everyone that reads this will pass the web address to those
                    individuals they know that are sponsoring a train show in the US.
                    webmaster@... <mailto:webmaster@...>

                    Just a reminder to all:

                    November is National Model Railroading Month.

                    And

                    It is always the “Worlds Greatest Hobby”

                    Larry Donsbach
                    San Antonio, TX

                  • jmac_han
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                      Thanks for unearthing this resource for train show listings.
                      Judging from the number of visitors it doesn't appear to be very
                      well known. I checked out some of the areas that I am familiar
                      with and the show coverage is spotty. The major population
                      centres are well documented but the coverage of activities in
                      New England and the central states is pretty thin. Several states
                      had no listings at all.

                      Perhaps this site will "pick up steam" over time. In my opinion it
                      should not be considered authoritative but just one resource
                      among many. Unfortunately, "comprehensive" it is not.

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Donsbach"
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003
                        If more and more people send in input, it should be better than most of the
                        sites I visited. From what I could see, it was not restricted to any one
                        group of shows but listed all that are provided. “Comprehensive” may be a
                        little strong at this time but it is better than any of the other sites that
                        I visited.

                        Larry Donsbach
                        San Antonio, TX