Re: Need someone to help put together a layout

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2003
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "z43boy" <z43boy@y...> wrote:
      > I bought a Kibri "Ammergau" layout and I have all the tracks,
      > structures and landscaping that I need but I can not get started
      > because I do not know how to get started. I am intimidated although
      > I've set up the Marklin starter sets before. How do I lay the
      > tracks? Do I nail them or glue them? I have only one Marklin Power
      > Pack. Do I need more? I have 3 Left Handed Electric Switches, 2
      > Right Handed Electric Switches and 1 Left Handed Electric Curved
      > Switch. I have control boxes. Do I need insulated and normal rail
      > joiners? If someone from New York City can help me get started, I
      > would appreciate it. Thank you.

      Don't be intimidated. This is an opportunity to learn. We all
      started were you are now, and will answer your questions as they come
      up. Also Kalmbach publications are very useful for the construction
      basics.

      Tracks can be glued or nailed (on cork roadbed which is also glued),
      depends on personal preference. Some use white glue and pins to hold
      track while the glue sets. Me, i like to use both pins, and more
      robust nails for any flex track ends if necessary, then BALLAST with
      a mix of white glue and rubbing alcohol for the final hold down.
      Once the ballast is set those tracks will not go anywhere. Use care
      when ballasting around turnout points, a paste of ballast and
      glue/alcohol premixed and placed with a small spatula keeps the
      turnout throwbars from getting glued up. Painting the rails with an
      airbrush or spray paint prior to ballasting hides their height, just
      mask off the turnout points first and finish the painting with a
      small brush in this area again to avoid ruining the points
      mechanism. Don't get paint or glue on the small contacts underneach
      the marklin turnouts.

      At least one power pack per locomotive. If you plan to run more than
      one loco at a time, break up the tracks areas into electrical blocks
      for each locomotives operting domain and definitely use plastic rail
      joiners on both rails to separate the blocks. Electrical switches
      can be used to connect each block to the appropriate power pack.
      (I've learned to avoid this, i use a separate power pack for eack
      block and avoid having to figure out which switch to throw - now just
      a matter of which knob to turn for a given area.)
      Also solder the metal rail joiners (especially on flex track curves)
      unless separate electrical feeds are used for each section of track,
      you don't want to depend on the rail joiners for future electrical
      conductivity. If you are new to soldering, get a 25 watt fine tipped
      pencil iron and practice on scrap pieces of track, it is not hard.
      Heat sink the rails with alligator clips or needle nose pliers with
      rubber bands on the handles to prevent melting the ties. The items
      to be soldered must be made hot enough to melt the solder or the
      solder will not adhere to them.

      The rails can be cut to odd lengths if needed and trimmed with a
      file. Bevel all rail ends (including factory cut ends) very slightly
      with a file to allow the wheel flanges to glide over them smoothly.

      Have fun, and ask whenever. There's a lot of little things to learn,
      but nothing overwhelming.
    • Michael Hilliard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2003
        Hi, Where in the city are you? What are the dimentions of the layout? Michael

        z43boy <z43boy@...> wrote:I bought a Kibri "Ammergau" layout and I have all the tracks,

      • Jeremy Brandon
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2003
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "z43boy" <z43boy@y...> wrote:
          > I bought a Kibri "Ammergau" layout ...
          > If someone from New York City can help me get started, I
          > would appreciate it. Thank you.

          Here are some pictures of a finished layout and the track plan:

          http://www.iblproducts.com/ammergau.htm

          Have you looked in the FAQ folder in the files section of our group:

          Jeremy.