Z Scale PCB Ties?

  • Markus
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2003
      I've checked online and the group archives and have been unable to
      find a sournce of Z scale PCB ties (no shortage of N scale ones
      though).

      Does anyone have a source of reasonably sized Z scale PCB ties?
      (or a method of safely cutting larger PCB stock into ties?)

      Markuszzz
    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2003
        You are looking for Republic Locomotive Works. They supply
        Nn3 = Z PCB tie strips, track gauges etc. Fast and dependable
        service.

        Jeffrey

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Markus" <maarsmusic@o...>
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2003
          In our Links / "Where To Buy" folder:

          http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...>
          wrote:
          > You are looking for Republic Locomotive Works. They supply
          > Nn3 = Z PCB tie strips, track gauges etc. Fast and dependable
          > service.
          >
          > Jeffrey
        • Andy Hunting
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2003
            It just happens that I'm awaiting the delivery of some thin, single-
            sided PC board from an electronics supply house. I'm going to try
            cutting my own PC ties. I'll let the group know if I have any
            success. Does anybody have any tips?

            Jeffrey, though Nn3 ties would be the right length for Z, aren't they
            overscale width-wise?

            Thanks,

            -- Andy Hunting

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
            > In our Links / "Where To Buy" folder:
            >
            > http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > You are looking for Republic Locomotive Works. They supply
            > > Nn3 = Z PCB tie strips, track gauges etc. Fast and dependable
            > > service.
            > >
            > > Jeffrey
          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 26, 2003
              I have purchased PC narrow gauge ties from the 2MM Scale Association:
              http://www.2mm.org.uk/

              You have to belong to the Association before you can purchase
              anything from them. It has to do with UK taxes.

              I bought code 30 ribbon rail from them so, at the same time I
              purchased some narrow gauge ties from them. The 2MM Association is
              an offshoot of the N scale models, or maybe the old Trebel-O
              models?? Or maybe they are Proto N? They do beautiful work.

              I used a General Electronic Digital Caliper to make the following
              measurements. I do not count myself as skillful user of this tool.

              I compared the PC tie with the plastic ties on my MicroTrains flex
              track.

              PC tie. Inches L - .469 W - .046 H - .028
              mm L 11.9 W - 1.1 H - 0.7

              MT tie. Inches L - .459 W - .041 H - .037
              mm L - 11.6 W - 1.0 H - 0.9

              There is a little difference. The PC ties are not as high.

              2MM Asociation ties have copper on only one side but they are pre-
              cut for the electrical separation.

              I have no dimensions for the RLW ties. The dimensions that I have
              for the Cloverhouse ties are L 12.5mm W 1.3mm.

              The MT plastic ties have a taper because they must be released from
              a mold.

              Bill
              El Toro, Ca

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Markus" <maarsmusic@o...> wrote:
              > I've checked online and the group archives and have been unable to
              > find a sournce of Z scale PCB ties (no shortage of N scale ones
              > though).
              >
              > Does anyone have a source of reasonably sized Z scale PCB ties?
              > (or a method of safely cutting larger PCB stock into ties?)
              >
              > Markuszzz

              http://www.2mm.org.uk/
            • Lajos Thek
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2003
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Hunting" <tv175@y...> wrote:

                > It just happens that I'm awaiting the delivery of some thin, single-
                > sided PC board from an electronics supply house. I'm going to try
                > cutting my own PC ties. I'll let the group know if I have any
                > success. Does anybody have any tips?

                I would use the small motorized miter saw (available at Harbor
                Freight Tools for about $35.00). Cut parallel (comb-like) slots
                into the board, then cut the correct length ties off.
                To make sure the ties are all the same width, use a thin (slightly
                thinner than the saw blade) metal "stepping" stop next to the blade.
                Lajos
              • Bill Hoshiko
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hoshiko" <billhko@y...> wrote:

                  > I used a General Electronic Digital Caliper to make the following
                  > measurements. I do not count myself as skillful user of this tool.
                  >
                  > I compared the PC tie with the plastic ties on my MicroTrains flex
                  > track.
                  >
                  > PC tie. Inches L - .469 W - .046 H - .028
                  > mm L 11.9 W - 1.1 H - 0.7
                  >
                  > MT tie. Inches L - .459 W - .041 H - .037
                  > mm L - 11.6 W - 1.0 H - 0.9

                  I just looked at Garth Hamilton's comparison of MicroTrains, Marklin
                  and Peco flex track at: http://www.nn3.ca/nn3track.htm

                  He lists MT ties in inches at L - .4990 W - .0410 H - .0410

                  Told you that I was not skillful at using a caliper tool.

                  But another interesting fact was displayed. Peco flex track had a
                  track gauge of .2585 inches. MT and Marklin both have gauges
                  at .2620. If the Peco track gauge does not give any problems, using
                  a short piece of 1/4 inch rod as a track gauge or the use of a 1/4
                  inch bar stock from your local hobby shop should be perfectly
                  acceptable. If you have a problem with .0085 inches while soldering
                  your rail to the ties then your soldering skills are truly
                  excellent.

                  One thing for certain is that your gauge will never be less
                  than .250 inches. In all probability it will be a little wider.
                  Maybe at .2585? or if you, like me, are truly sloppy at soldering,
                  it will be closer to .2600! (Or you may have two rails soldered to
                  the sides of a 1/4 inch brass bar. Who said that my 500 W soldering
                  iron was too big)

                  Bill
                  El Toro, Ca
                  Were the skies have taken a strange reddish hue. When my father was
                  alive I had a terrible time trying to convince him that the high
                  temperatures caused fires. He insisted that the fires caused the
                  temperature to be high. Every time it got hot here in Southern
                  California we'd have these mountain fires and it was very difficult
                  to argue, while watching the fires on TV, that the fires did not
                  cause it to be so hot. It was a good thing that we never argued
                  which came first, chicken or egg.
                • Bertha & Jim Glass
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                    Try the www.nn3.org site. They've been discussing such ties for months.

                    Jim G.
                    It just happens that I'm awaiting the delivery of some thin, single-
                    sided PC board from an electronics supply house. I'm going to try
                    cutting my own PC ties. I'll let the group know if I have any
                    success. Does anybody have any tips?

                    Jeffrey, though Nn3 ties would be the right length for Z, aren't they
                    overscale width-wise?

                    Thanks,

                    -- Andy Hunting

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
                    > In our Links / "Where To Buy" folder:
                    >
                    > http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com
                    >
                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > You are looking for Republic Locomotive Works. They supply
                    > > Nn3 = Z PCB tie strips, track gauges etc. Fast and dependable
                    > > service.
                    > >
                    > > Jeffrey

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • rsmidt1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                      "Bill Hoshiko" wrote:

                      > "But another interesting fact was displayed. Peco flex track had a
                      > track gauge of .2585 inches. MT and Marklin both have gauges
                      > at .2620. If the Peco track gauge does not give any problems,
                      using
                      > a short piece of 1/4 inch rod as a track gauge or the use of a 1/4
                      > inch bar stock from your local hobby shop should be perfectly
                      > acceptable."

                      What exactly is the wheel gauge (from the outside of the flanges)
                      supposed to be?

                      Randy Smidt
                    • Paul York
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                        Ok here is the scoop you can get these from Republic Locomotive Works
                        if you would like to get them already cut to width. Here is the info
                        strait from RLW website:

                        DGM100
                        Name: PC ties - Twenty tie strips, each 6 inches long by 9 scale
                        inches wide
                        ItemID: DGM100
                        Our Price: $5.00
                        cut to six inch length and 9 scale inches wide. You cut to length
                        desired.
                        Availability: Available
                        Scale: N
                        Item Type: component
                        Vendor: DG & M

                        http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/index.html

                        As you can see Cloverhouse no longer makes these they are made by the
                        Dallas, Garland, & Mesquite club in Dallas Texas but you have to go
                        through Republic to purchase them. I know for a fact that Republic
                        has them in stock because myself and three other people just finished
                        cutting the last of an order this weekend.

                        Paul York
                      • Bill Hoshiko
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 27, 2003
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rsmidt1" <RSmidt@m...> wrote:

                          > What exactly is the wheel gauge (from the outside of the flanges)
                          > supposed to be?
                          >
                          > Randy Smidt

                          Well Randy,

                          This discussion of ties and track standards has been discussed at
                          length in the Nn3 groups pages. The Nn3, N scale narrow gauge,
                          modelers use Marklin Z scale mechanisms to power their trains. That
                          is the closest commercially available equipment for their needs.

                          Marklin, the originator of Z scale has set the standards and
                          MicroTrains has followed. My source for Z scale standards has been:
                          http://www.fielder-rowe.freeserve.co.uk/standard.html

                          These are the "suggested" NMRA standards for Z. If you will go to
                          Z_scale groups message # 15953 you will see the post by Bill
                          Kronenberger about the newly formed Z Scale Standards Committee.

                          I often get into these discussions about Z scale standards but
                          actually I do not pay much attention to the standards. Go to:
                          http://www.railwayeng.com/rrhints.htm and read all of Stephen
                          Hatch's comments about track gauge.

                          Since we have only two Z scale manufacturers, and they practically
                          follow the same standards, I build my track to fit their
                          manufactured wheels. I think that a narrower track gauge for
                          tangent (straight) track is preferable to a wide gauge. I build my
                          turnouts so that my equipment is able to traverse the switches
                          without any problems. When I first built turnouts to NMRA
                          standards, they never functioned very well. The guard rails never
                          guarded. (It could have been my lack of ability - - nah!) I never
                          use a three point gauge to gauge my tracks because I believe that
                          three point track gauges are inherently sloppy. Their main function
                          is to widen the gauge while building a curved track. The question
                          is: how do you know if you are wide enough or maybe too wide? This
                          gauge has no way to indicate either limit.

                          When I was building track using code 100 rail the heft of the rail
                          itself would prevent you from being too sloppy with rail alignment.
                          As smaller rail became available you could deviate the gauge of the
                          track from tie to tie as you drove your spike home. When building
                          HO scale, light use track, with wide spaced ties Code 40 rail could
                          sag between the ties. All you need to do is to put your hand palm
                          side down and rested a little weight on it. Like when you reach
                          across your layout to rerail a train. (ask how I know) <;o))

                          As far as I know. We do not have any Z scale trains made today with
                          wheels that would not fit between rails .250 inches apart. On my
                          work bench I have a set of rails spaced .0244 inches apart. I did
                          not plan it that way, I just put a couple of MT box cars on some
                          rails and pushed the rails together until they stopped. I wanted a
                          place where there was no slop between the rails. I needed this for
                          making height measurements from rail top. All my present equipment
                          fit. I would be surprised if any currently manufactured train would
                          find this gauge to be too narrow. If one of you has a spare AZL
                          locomotive, please send it to me so that I can confirm this. I am a
                          patient man and I can wait until you receive your SP G4 and you can
                          send that to me. I will return it to you as soon as I have
                          conducted all necessary tests. (may we both live so long)

                          I know that this is probably more than you cared to know, but you
                          pushed the proper button.

                          Bill
                          El Toro, Ca

                          and the fires continue to burn. Fortunately I am miles away but
                          there is no way out of the greater Los Angeles - San Diego area
                          without coming face to face with one of the fires. There may be one
                          way, but you would have to pass Barbra Striesand's home. California
                          life is tough.