Noch Pre-formed Layouts

  • rizzahamish
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2003
      Help!

      I recently purchased a Cortina board with all the extensions. The
      photo on their web shows a very nice 4 peice layout. Only problem
      was that when it arrived, the right extension, was N/HO, not Z.

      Their web page shows one thing, but codes to another.

      Has anyone recently bought the Cortina set and had all the correct
      boards. The board I should of had was 84330, which is on a brochure
      with the original main board. This is not showing on their web site,
      only 84320 which is at least oversized N gauge. The bricks on the
      tunnel are the equivalent of over 3'.

      The whole idea of buying Noch was to save time, and I would love to
      hear from other peoples experiences.

      Phil
    • Flayrah
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
        I can't answer about the Cortina layout, but I've found on two
        different Noch layouts that the track plan is not necessarily the
        best for the area provided. As described, I ended up with trains
        hitting walls, too-tight clearances and track hanging off of
        overhangs. It took some time, but I found ways to change the plans
        so they fit better and everything runs smoothly. On the other hand,
        there seem to be a lot of people who assemble and run these 'out of
        the box' with no problems whatsoever.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rizzahamish" <phil@r...> wrote:
        > Help!
        >
        > I recently purchased a Cortina board with all the extensions. The
        > photo on their web shows a very nice 4 peice layout. Only problem
        > was that when it arrived, the right extension, was N/HO, not Z.
        >
        > Their web page shows one thing, but codes to another.
        >
        > Has anyone recently bought the Cortina set and had all the correct
        > boards. The board I should of had was 84330, which is on a
        brochure
        > with the original main board. This is not showing on their web
        site,
        > only 84320 which is at least oversized N gauge. The bricks on the
        > tunnel are the equivalent of over 3'.
        >
        > The whole idea of buying Noch was to save time, and I would love
        > hear from other peoples experiences.
        >
        > Phil
      • Bertha & Jim Glass
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
          Your experience is not that unusal. Our club members have built several Noch Z layouts whose track plan did not work as instructed. Adjustments with flex track had to be made for the track to match the layout path. Mine was the 87020 Liebenzell set that required surgery with M-T flex.

          Jim G.
          I can't answer about the Cortina layout, but I've found on two
          different Noch layouts that the track plan is not necessarily the
          best for the area provided. As described, I ended up with trains
          hitting walls, too-tight clearances and track hanging off of
          overhangs. It took some time, but I found ways to change the plans
          so they fit better and everything runs smoothly. On the other hand,
          there seem to be a lot of people who assemble and run these 'out of
          the box' with no problems whatsoever.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rizzahamish" <phil@r...> wrote:
          > Help!
          >
          > I recently purchased a Cortina board with all the extensions. The
          > photo on their web shows a very nice 4 peice layout. Only problem
          > was that when it arrived, the right extension, was N/HO, not Z.
          >
          > Their web page shows one thing, but codes to another.
          >
          > Has anyone recently bought the Cortina set and had all the correct
          > boards. The board I should of had was 84330, which is on a
          brochure
          > with the original main board. This is not showing on their web
          site,
          > only 84320 which is at least oversized N gauge. The bricks on the
          > tunnel are the equivalent of over 3'.
          >
          > The whole idea of buying Noch was to save time, and I would love
          > hear from other peoples experiences.
          >
          > Phil

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Frank Daniels
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
            Phil:

            I know you already know the answer to this, but I
            did not see a post from you further down the line...
            so I thought I should clarify for the z group.

            Here are the words direct from Noch:

            "I just received notice that we updated the Cortina
            track plan last Friday (Oct 24) and it should be on
            our web site shortly. Please inform the customer
            that he should use two 8591 to form a slight S-curve
            between the tunnel portal and Cortina. Sorry for the
            inconvenience."

            Now, to Phil's question about the tunnels: Yes, the
            Noch N/Z layouts come with N scale portals. If you
            were to make a layout that was for both N and Z, you
            most likely would make the folks who comprise a smaller
            population (us z scalers) have to retrofit tunnel
            portals.

            So, the answer is to retrofit with z-scale portals,
            Noch part number 44790 (one pair is needed for the
            84320).

            The 84320 is not oversized N, it is an N/Z layout. It
            is not intended for HO. The 84330 has been discontinued
            for about 3 years now. Yes, the photo they show with
            the extension layouts is a bit out of date...I have
            brought that up with them, but I am not sure if they
            feel it is a priority to change it. Another page in
            the catalog (shown at my web site, too) shows the 2001
            and later extensions and how they look:
            http://zscalehobo.com/website/noch/anbauteil_index.html

            Noch does save you time, although, you were stuck at
            the starting gate. Get to runnin' those trains!

            Sincerely
            Frank Daniels
            www.zscalehobo.com

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rizzahamish" <phil@r...> wrote:
            > Help!
            >
            > I recently purchased a Cortina board with all the extensions. The
            > photo on their web shows a very nice 4 peice layout. Only problem
            > was that when it arrived, the right extension, was N/HO, not Z.
            >
            > Their web page shows one thing, but codes to another.
            >
            > Has anyone recently bought the Cortina set and had all the correct
            > boards. The board I should of had was 84330, which is on a
            brochure
            > with the original main board. This is not showing on their web
            site,
            > only 84320 which is at least oversized N gauge. The bricks on the
            > tunnel are the equivalent of over 3'.
            >
            > The whole idea of buying Noch was to save time, and I would love
            > hear from other peoples experiences.
            >
            > Phil
          • Bertha & Jim Glass
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
              The N scale portals are mandatory if running M-T moguls or Husky stacks!

              Jim G.
              I know you already know the answer to this, but I
              did not see a post from you further down the line...
              so I thought I should clarify for the z group.

              Here are the words direct from Noch:

              "I just received notice that we updated the Cortina
              track plan last Friday (Oct 24) and it should be on
              our web site shortly. Please inform the customer
              that he should use two 8591 to form a slight S-curve
              between the tunnel portal and Cortina. Sorry for the
              inconvenience."

              Now, to Phil's question about the tunnels: Yes, the
              Noch N/Z layouts come with N scale portals. If you
              were to make a layout that was for both N and Z, you
              most likely would make the folks who comprise a smaller
              population (us z scalers) have to retrofit tunnel
              portals.

              So, the answer is to retrofit with z-scale portals,
              Noch part number 44790 (one pair is needed for the
              84320).

              The 84320 is not oversized N, it is an N/Z layout. It
              is not intended for HO. The 84330 has been discontinued
              for about 3 years now. Yes, the photo they show with
              the extension layouts is a bit out of date...I have
              brought that up with them, but I am not sure if they
              feel it is a priority to change it. Another page in
              the catalog (shown at my web site, too) shows the 2001
              and later extensions and how they look:
              http://zscalehobo.com/website/noch/anbauteil_index.html

              Noch does save you time, although, you were stuck at
              the starting gate. Get to runnin' those trains!

              Sincerely
              Frank Daniels
              www.zscalehobo.com

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rizzahamish" <phil@r...> wrote:
              > Help!
              >
              > I recently purchased a Cortina board with all the extensions. The
              > photo on their web shows a very nice 4 peice layout. Only problem
              > was that when it arrived, the right extension, was N/HO, not Z.
              >
              > Their web page shows one thing, but codes to another.
              >
              > Has anyone recently bought the Cortina set and had all the correct
              > boards. The board I should of had was 84330, which is on a
              brochure
              > with the original main board. This is not showing on their web
              site,
              > only 84320 which is at least oversized N gauge. The bricks on the
              > tunnel are the equivalent of over 3'.
              >
              > The whole idea of buying Noch was to save time, and I would love
              > hear from other peoples experiences.
              >
              > Phil

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor