Re: MT F-7 questions

  • raymorrissette@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
      Message: 15
      Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:46:46 -0700
      From: Mr. W <TrainRunner@...>
      Subject: Re: MT F-7 questions

      Well, let me try to address a couple of your questions. First, I
      think it's fair to say that the B-unit was originally intended to be
      powered. However, it didn't work out that way, for reasons that I
      won't go into. You can choose to power a B-unit one of a few ways.
      First, you can simply put up with the fact that the sides will bulge
      out a little when a B-unit shell is mounted over a powered frame. Not
      terribly satisfying. Second, as has already been mentioned, you can
      scrape out some of the shell material from the insides of the B-unit
      shell around where the motor in the powered frame is (the motor is a
      little wider than the rest of the frame, and therefore needs a little
      more clearance). Finally, if you're up to it, you can remove some of
      the metal from the outer surface of the metal frame around the motor,
      reducing it to the same width as the rest of the powered frame. None
      of these are ideal solutions, but they all offer you alternatives to
      give you a powered B-unit.
      Now, as to the weight of the dummies, in general the dummies are the
      first cars directly behind the locomotive. Thus, when the train is
      going around a corner, the dummies face the greatest force trying to
      pull them off the track, especially with longer trains. I can tell you
      from my own experience when we were testing them that if the dummies
      were much lighter it wouldn't be hard at all to put together a train
      that would be long enough to pull them right off the track in a tight
      turn.

      Mr. W

      Thanks for all those infos

      I will try scrubbing the shell first...