Re: [z_scale] Re: Poor performance (again ;-)

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
      All:

      > I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise Wahl Oil

      Suggestion: look for a barber supply outlet. Or a ladies beauty supply
      outlet. Anyone that sells hair clippers will probably sell Wahl oil to go with
      them.

      "Sally Beauty Supply" is a huge chain store operation in the USA that sells
      all manners of things ladies use to be "beautiful." Although I feel totally
      out place when in the store surrounded by ladies talking about things I know
      nothing about, I find many train things:

      - Wahl Oil
      - Funny little applicators (like ear swabs) that make great
      applicators for weathering and cleaning
      - Tiny brushes for painting, at a fraction of the price at "art" stores
      - Foam backed sandpaper files (cheap)
      - Makeup powders in earth tones for weathering
      - Tiny wood and metal "picks" to use in constructing things
      - Foam sponges for cleaning
      - Plastic bottles, both hard and squeeze types with long snouts
      - Strange looking clamps, excellent for use as a "3rd" hand
      - Plastic storage boxes with compartments

      I you take your wife with you, she will be pleased to explain what all these
      things are "supposed" to be used for.

      Hope this helps,
      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston

    • tsa47
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
        Here in Canada I know Wal-Mart sell Wahl oil.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
        > All:
        >
        > > I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise
        Wahl Oil

      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
          While trying various ways to clean the Marklin Z track on my first Z
          setup, he battery powered blue 0-6-0 and car and optional track set
          with 4 turnouts, I tried rubbing a small scrap of the cork sheet I
          had cut and fit as roadbed under the track and found it wipes the
          rails quite well and doesn't snag switch points like cloth does. The
          cork picks up oxidation real well and can be cleaned somewhat with
          rubbing alchohol a time or two but that's more work then it's worth
          as a small piece of cork will last for several cleanings on the
          double loop I have set up.

          I've worked with HO and a little N since I was a kid and for some
          reason I have never heard of putting Whal hair clipper oil on track
          to improve smooth operating. I imagine the trick is to use just
          enough to dampen the rail surface without getting it noticably wet
          and would suspect any really thin oil, like sewing machine oil, would
          work.

          I also have found getting just the right spring pressure on the motor
          brushes in all scales I've worked with can make a very big difference
          in how a loco runs. New out of the box the Marklin 0-6-0 I have would
          not run at the lowest transformer settings (the white one that came
          with the optional track set) and would tend to suddenly take off as
          power was increased.

          I found after adjusting the tension on the motor brushes until I
          found the right pressure that allowed it to start and ran the best
          without sputtering from too little brush pressure the loco would
          start and run at the first contact of the transformer wiper so well
          that I ended up having to put a small resistance in line with one of
          the power supply wires to the track so the loco would start smoothly
          and not take off suddenly at the first voltage the power supply puts
          out.

          What I used to drop track starting voltage a bit was a two commonly
          available 1 amp power supply type diodes (the little black ones with
          a grey stripe at one end) connected in series with one of the power
          supply wires, and another pair facing the opposite way in parallel
          (must have one pair in each direction to allow power to flow both
          ways for forward and reverse).

          The voltage drop across many low power diodes like those often found
          in the power supplies of small electronic devices is typicaly .3
          to .5 volts, which makes them an ideal way to drop a little voltage
          when needed on low voltage circuits like model railroads and ham and
          cb radio panel lights that uses 12 vdc for the panel lights. It is
          also a good way to reduce the brilliance and add life span to
          lighting used in model railroad buildings powered by a fixed dc
          voltage source.

          Those 1 am power supply type diodes can often be found in bulk packs
          at Radio Shack or any electronic parts supplier and aren't expensive
          (if they are then go somewhere else). If you don't mind doing a
          little disassembly and unsoldering they can be got for free from
          cheap am-fm radios, tape recorders, and any smaller electronic device
          that has a built in power supply that is going to be thrown out as
          junk.

          Hope this is of some help to the group.

          Bruce

          >turnouts some times.. I then noticed somebody in this group
          >mentioned the tiniest smear of Whal oil on the track improved things
          >dramatically. I tried this and have no more problems!
          > I found I could not by Whal oil in New Zealand anymore but found
          >Bernina sewing machine oil was the same thing.

          > Brush tension also makes a big difference.
        • David George
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
            Bruce,
            Don't confuse Whal "OIL" with other lubricants. It is not a true OIL but is primarily an oxidation inhibitor and does not provide a lubricant effect.
            David G.
            "G~B&CC RR"

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • bill.foote
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
              FWIIW the forward voltage drop in a Silicon Diode (the most usually found
              type these days) is 0.7 volt (the now almost completely obsolete Germanium
              Diode has a smaller forward voltage drop)