Re: [z_scale] Re: Poor performance (again ;-)

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
      > Yes, it is the US stuff, even says "made in USA" on
      > the bottle. So,
      > fellow Europeans, just ask your barber. Who knows.
      >
      > Arjen

      Uhh, unfortunately, here in France I don't know any
      barbershop selling any railroad model, so Z scale
      stuff in a barbershop, I let you imagine! It's sad, as
      I have 2 barbershops in a 100m radius around my home!
      Unfortunately it will be long before we have a
      barbershop beeing like the sample at Tehachapi, CA.
      Cheers
      Dominique

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
        All:

        > I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise Wahl Oil

        Suggestion: look for a barber supply outlet. Or a ladies beauty supply
        outlet. Anyone that sells hair clippers will probably sell Wahl oil to go with
        them.

        "Sally Beauty Supply" is a huge chain store operation in the USA that sells
        all manners of things ladies use to be "beautiful." Although I feel totally
        out place when in the store surrounded by ladies talking about things I know
        nothing about, I find many train things:

        - Wahl Oil
        - Funny little applicators (like ear swabs) that make great
        applicators for weathering and cleaning
        - Tiny brushes for painting, at a fraction of the price at "art" stores
        - Foam backed sandpaper files (cheap)
        - Makeup powders in earth tones for weathering
        - Tiny wood and metal "picks" to use in constructing things
        - Foam sponges for cleaning
        - Plastic bottles, both hard and squeeze types with long snouts
        - Strange looking clamps, excellent for use as a "3rd" hand
        - Plastic storage boxes with compartments

        I you take your wife with you, she will be pleased to explain what all these
        things are "supposed" to be used for.

        Hope this helps,
        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston

      • tsa47
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
          Here in Canada I know Wal-Mart sell Wahl oil.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
          > All:
          >
          > > I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise
          Wahl Oil

        • Bruce
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
            While trying various ways to clean the Marklin Z track on my first Z
            setup, he battery powered blue 0-6-0 and car and optional track set
            with 4 turnouts, I tried rubbing a small scrap of the cork sheet I
            had cut and fit as roadbed under the track and found it wipes the
            rails quite well and doesn't snag switch points like cloth does. The
            cork picks up oxidation real well and can be cleaned somewhat with
            rubbing alchohol a time or two but that's more work then it's worth
            as a small piece of cork will last for several cleanings on the
            double loop I have set up.

            I've worked with HO and a little N since I was a kid and for some
            reason I have never heard of putting Whal hair clipper oil on track
            to improve smooth operating. I imagine the trick is to use just
            enough to dampen the rail surface without getting it noticably wet
            and would suspect any really thin oil, like sewing machine oil, would
            work.

            I also have found getting just the right spring pressure on the motor
            brushes in all scales I've worked with can make a very big difference
            in how a loco runs. New out of the box the Marklin 0-6-0 I have would
            not run at the lowest transformer settings (the white one that came
            with the optional track set) and would tend to suddenly take off as
            power was increased.

            I found after adjusting the tension on the motor brushes until I
            found the right pressure that allowed it to start and ran the best
            without sputtering from too little brush pressure the loco would
            start and run at the first contact of the transformer wiper so well
            that I ended up having to put a small resistance in line with one of
            the power supply wires to the track so the loco would start smoothly
            and not take off suddenly at the first voltage the power supply puts
            out.

            What I used to drop track starting voltage a bit was a two commonly
            available 1 amp power supply type diodes (the little black ones with
            a grey stripe at one end) connected in series with one of the power
            supply wires, and another pair facing the opposite way in parallel
            (must have one pair in each direction to allow power to flow both
            ways for forward and reverse).

            The voltage drop across many low power diodes like those often found
            in the power supplies of small electronic devices is typicaly .3
            to .5 volts, which makes them an ideal way to drop a little voltage
            when needed on low voltage circuits like model railroads and ham and
            cb radio panel lights that uses 12 vdc for the panel lights. It is
            also a good way to reduce the brilliance and add life span to
            lighting used in model railroad buildings powered by a fixed dc
            voltage source.

            Those 1 am power supply type diodes can often be found in bulk packs
            at Radio Shack or any electronic parts supplier and aren't expensive
            (if they are then go somewhere else). If you don't mind doing a
            little disassembly and unsoldering they can be got for free from
            cheap am-fm radios, tape recorders, and any smaller electronic device
            that has a built in power supply that is going to be thrown out as
            junk.

            Hope this is of some help to the group.

            Bruce

            >turnouts some times.. I then noticed somebody in this group
            >mentioned the tiniest smear of Whal oil on the track improved things
            >dramatically. I tried this and have no more problems!
            > I found I could not by Whal oil in New Zealand anymore but found
            >Bernina sewing machine oil was the same thing.

            > Brush tension also makes a big difference.
          • David George
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
              Bruce,
              Don't confuse Whal "OIL" with other lubricants. It is not a true OIL but is primarily an oxidation inhibitor and does not provide a lubricant effect.
              David G.
              "G~B&CC RR"

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • bill.foote
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                FWIIW the forward voltage drop in a Silicon Diode (the most usually found
                type these days) is 0.7 volt (the now almost completely obsolete Germanium
                Diode has a smaller forward voltage drop)