Re: Individuals with modules

  • mrnosal
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
      > Randy,
      > My Golden~Blackhawk&Central City RR is a U shaped 22' x 20' Z-
      Bend Track modular layout. It has ( 5 ) 2' x 4' mods , (2) 3' x
      3' mods (1) 43" x 72" irregular shaped mod,and (1) 38" x 62"
      irregular shaped mod.
      > I set this up at shows on 30" high tables and have no crowd
      barriers.
      > I can continuously run 6 independent train sets .It is a CAB
      control set-up.

      > David G.
      > Spring, Tx.

      Wow! Any photos or track plans of this layout on the web?

      --Mike
    • David George
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
        Mike,
        Thanks for your interest. I don't have a web site for my PIKE, and I am not adept at using my Computer to send photos. I've been at many shows with other Z groups but have missed the cut on getting a picture sent to this group.
        BTW , I must correct my list of mods. I only have ( 4 ) 2' x 4' mods , and not ( 5 ).
        A previous issue of Z Track magazine ( about 3 yrs ago )had an article and some pics on my first module.
        David G
        "G~B&CC RR"

        mrnosal <mnosal@...> wrote:
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
        > Randy,
        > My Golden~Blackhawk&Central City RR is a U shaped 22' x 20' Z-
        Bend Track modular layout. It has ( 5 ) 2' x 4' mods , (2) 3' x
        3' mods (1) 43" x 72" irregular shaped mod,and (1) 38" x 62"
        irregular shaped mod.
        > I set this up at shows on 30" high tables and have no crowd
        barriers.
        > I can continuously run 6 independent train sets .It is a CAB
        control set-up.

        > David G.
        > Spring, Tx.

        Wow! Any photos or track plans of this layout on the web?

        --Mike

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • rsmidt1
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
          Glen,

          The half modules are a neat idea! I might try something like that
          myself in the future.

          Thanks for all the responses everyone. I was curious about this
          subject because, although I am in an organized module group, I also
          wanted to do modules for my home layout since the Queen of the House
          won't let me leave it out all the time, I have to put it away in
          storage when not in use. Using modules will let me have a bigger
          setup than trying to store a single, one-piece layout would.

          Randy Smidt
          Wash, DC Z-Bend Track

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@c...>
          wrote:
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rsmidt1" <RSmidt@m...> wrote:
          > > How many people out there have Z-scale modules (of any standard)
          > and
          > > are not members of an organized group?
          >
          > Hi Randy,
          >
          > No Z Bend groups around here (Dallas Texas), although there are a
          > couple Z Mod clubs (DG&M, Texas & Beyond). I was playing with and
          > started building a "half" Z-Bend module. Two mainlines are along
          one
          > edge to Z-Bend standards, when two of these half modules are
          fastened
          > together edge to edge they create a full size standard (but oddly
          > shaped) quad mainline Z-Bend module. But when fastened together
          end
          > to end the mainlines mate to create a double length dual mainline
          > layout.
          >
          > Stopped building it when I ran into a problem with MT couplers.
          When
          > backed onto a 145mm radius curve from the yard, then pulled forward
          > again, usually at least one and often several cars uncouple. The
          > couplers swing too far sideways when pushing in reverse and
          disengage
          > when pulled again.
          >
          > Has anyone else had this problem on 145mm radius curves? How about
          > on 170mm and 195mm radius curves? Have tried loosening and
          > tightening the mounting screws, and adding swing limiters which
          seems
          > to help at the expense of under-rail magnetic uncoupling. Maybe
          > there is a happy medium swing limit at which both functions work
          > properly, but haven't spent any more time on it. Seems that if MT
          > was to make the hook of the coupler a bit longer they might work
          > better. Or maybe a stronger spring...
        • jmac_han
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
            Hi David and Z_Scale members,

            Fortunately for all of us, fellow Z_Scale member "winterhawk"
            took a number of great photos of David's layout at NMRA
            National Train Show 2001 in St. Louis, MO. They can be
            admired here:

            As an addition bonus, you can also enjoy photos of Rob
            Allbritton's "Gotthard Lines" and my own "Val Ease Central"
            along with several candid shots of well-known members of the
            Z_Scale community.

            Enjoy,
            Jeffrey MacHan
            Chief Imagineer - VECRR