Re: [z_scale] Customizing/re-painting - OK, or a defacement?

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hello:

      > if it's accepted to paint over what comes in the box

      Absolutely.

      Put new roof's on them and paint them:
      <A HREF="http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Prototype.jpg">http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Prototype.jpg</A>

      Strip them and repaint them like Ron did:
      <A HREF="http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/2003_GATS/Rons_Train_Up_Close.jpg">http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/2003_GATS/Rons_Train_Up_Close.jpg</A>

      Go for it.

      Bill K.
      Houston

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
        > I'm
        > wondering if re-paints are unusual among Z-ers? I'm
        > not concerned
        > about re-sale "value" or what something is "worth",
        > I just don't
        > know if it's accepted to paint over what comes in
        > the box, or if
        > everyone just is patient and waits for Marklin to
        > release new
        > roadnames?

        In my case, as I have no experience with repainting or
        weathering rolling stock, I discovered a "profesional
        painter" at a modelrailroad show close to Paris,
        France. I will entrust my AZL Southern Pacific locos
        to him, and he will weather them to match SP practices
        about "cleanliness". And he will teach me how he
        works.
        Cheers
        Dominique

      • Curtis Campbell
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
          DEFINATELY GO FOR IT!!!!!

          We need more custom paint jobs, more kit bashing, more super detailing. And while you do it, document it, and when you are done take some photos and post them on this board or submit them to Ztrack Magazine so we can all learn from the experience and marvel over the work. The best stuff in Z is custom work. Jeff MacHan's UP 2-8-2, Yuji Kuwbara's magnificent DRG&W locos and rolling stock. I know of custom built diesel switchers, beautiful laser cut cabooses (or is it cabeese...ha ha), the aforementioned repaints of passeger cars are great, one guy made some incredible new steam power for a PRR layout, and Mr. Whites wonderful custom tanktrain (too bad CSX or Conrail didn't have one of these). In fact a guy on this board just repainted an E-8 in to UP - Milwaukee Road colors (BTW - Great Job!) There are countless others I have failed to mention. I have repainted several locos myself, it is fun and more interesting than the stuff out of the box. And what a sense of accomplishment too.

          Please please go for it. It is far more interesting, and realistic.

          Good luck...Curtis H. Campbell

          Ps - Rob congrats on the kid!!!

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
            Hi there!

            Oh yes customising and re-painting is really an exciting issue in Z Scale.
            All vehicles of the Red Rock Railroad are custom painted and detailed. The
            "easier" ones are mainly FR kits which need to be painted anyway, but like engine
            21 (ex DB 221) and latest the dump car also Märklin articles are used. I am
            actually in process of re-painting a fleet of MTL and Märklin F7's, caboose, and
            some more MOW stuff. Some of these customised cars and locos you can see at
            the Red Rock Railrod Homepage.

            Try it by yourself - customising is really fun!

            Cheers

            Kurt

            The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
            http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html

          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
              Hack, cut, paint, detail... do whatever you want. It's all a part of American
              Z. If it's not there, make it. Mybe the collectors value wil go down, but if
              you aren't buying the items as an "investment", who cares. Besides, odds are,
              someoneone else would be interested in buying it, anyway. I have personally
              "destroyed" over $2000 worth of Marklin and MT locos and cars to get what I
              wanted. But, now, I have what I wanted. Some day, maybe it will all be available,
              but for now...
              You can get some MT rolling stock , and PennZee hoppers undecorated. Father
              Nature sells kits for heavyweight passenger cars, but you have to provide your
              own Marklin trucks. In the long run, all you have to please is yourself. But,
              as mentioned in an earlier post, show off your work and let others see what
              you have done. Kitbashing and customizing are all parts of modelling. A big part
              of this group is the sharing of ideas (both successes and failures). You
              would be amazed what ome of the members have tried. So, repainting a few passenger
              cars is more than acceptable.
              Dan S.

            • Graham Jones
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                Hi Everyone

                A few months ago Will was selling on ebay a modified steam engine body to fit on the Marklin 0-8-0 chassis I liked the idea so much I made my own version and cast it in white metal. If anybody wants one drop me a email and we will come to an aggrement on price and shipping

                Graham
                ZClub(GB)

              • Flayrah
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Sounds interesting - Could you post a photo?

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@f...> wrote:
                  > Hi Everyone
                  >
                  > A few months ago Will was selling on ebay a modified steam engine
                  body to fit on the Marklin 0-8-0 chassis I liked the idea so much I
                  made my own version and cast it in white metal. If anybody wants
                  one drop me a email and we will come to an aggrement on price and
                  shipping

                  > Graham
                  > ZClub(GB)

                • rsmidt1
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Dan,

                    Did I miss something? Does Father Nature have heavyweight kits now
                    also or are you thinking of the PennZee heavyweight kits?

                    PennZee also sells custom repainted Marklin passenger car sets. He
                    doesn't really advertise them, but give Bob a call, he might have
                    what you are looking for already.

                    Randy Smidt

                  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                      A few months ago Will was selling on ebay a modified steam engine body to
                      fit on the Marklin 0-8-0 chassis I liked the idea so much I made my own
                      version and cast it in white metal. If anybody wants one drop me a email
                      and we will come to an aggrement on price and shipping

                      Graham
                      ZClub(GB)

                      Can we see what it looks like? Is it a Tank loco, by chance? Looking
                      for a suitable "Thomas" engine.

                      Thanks for the opportunity,

                    • dpstripe@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                        In a message dated 10/3/03 10:33:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        RSmidt@... writes:

                        > Dan,
                        >
                        > Did I miss something? Does Father Nature have heavyweight kits now
                        > also or are you thinking of the PennZee heavyweight kits?
                        >
                        > PennZee also sells custom repainted Marklin passenger car sets. He
                        > doesn't really advertise them, but give Bob a call, he might have
                        > what you are looking for already.

                        Randy,
                        The kits are the PennZee kits, but Father Nature is the only place that I
                        know of that has them. I'm not sure, but they might have been a joint effort
                        between them. Father nature was still listing them on his web site, and about 8
                        months ago said that he still carried them.
                        Dan S.

                      • Elizabeth Hayes
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
                          microtrains sells all of their car body styles as undecorated except forone
                          of the 50 foot gondola types ( I forget which one) check on the
                          nscalemonster.com page so I don`t know why yoou would want to pay more for
                          a painted car just to paint over. Marklin doesn`t offer anything undecorated
                          except for the little container that fits on the two axle European flat car.
                          Why would you buy one of those ridiculous looking fifty foot box cars with
                          a brake wheel on each end and repaint it when Microtrains offers 4 differnt
                          50 foot-ers each of which looks better?
                          >From: de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                          >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Customizing/re-painting - OK, or a defacement?
                          >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:27:49 +0200 (CEST)
                          >
                          > > I'm
                          > > wondering if re-paints are unusual among Z-ers? I'm
                          > > not concerned
                          > > about re-sale "value" or what something is "worth",
                          > > I just don't
                          > > know if it's accepted to paint over what comes in
                          > > the box, or if
                          > > everyone just is patient and waits for Marklin to
                          > > release new
                          > > roadnames?
                          > >

                          >In my case, as I have no experience with repainting or
                          >weathering rolling stock, I discovered a "profesional
                          >painter" at a modelrailroad show close to Paris,
                          >France. I will entrust my AZL Southern Pacific locos
                          >to him, and he will weather them to match SP practices
                          >about "cleanliness". And he will teach me how he
                          >works.
                          >Cheers
                          >Dominique

                          High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
                          service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com
                        • Elizabeth Hayes
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
                            everytime somebody modifies a "collectors item" all of the other surviving
                            examples of the same item go up in price and the owners of such thank you
                            for doing so.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5, 2003
                              Graham
                              Are there pictures availible?