Re: [z_scale] Customizing/re-painting - OK, or a defacement?

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
      Repainting Märklin US passenger cars is getting more common. Ztrack has run
      articles in the past on creating UP and ATSF passenger sets (even though the
      ATSF is now a moot point). Pennzee offered repainted passenger cars sets. They
      may have some still in stock. I remember seeing a very nice Northern Pacific
      set during the Ft. Lauderdale NTS in 2002. Yes, repainting will kill the
      collector value, but it really goes to what your needs and wishes are. I personally
      wait. It is the collector in me. But I have seen many beautiful repaints that
      are exciting to watch run on the rails.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com

    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
        The first thing I did with my first set of Marklin US passenger cars
        was to strip the paint and redo them in Union Pacific livery.
        Believe it or not, these cars are easy to work on and customize.
        Getting decals for your favourite roadname might be a challenge
        or you can have them made. Anyway, that's part of the fun of "Z".

        My advice: do whatever gives you the most satisfaction and
        ignore the naysayers. In my modelling experience, I've been told
        many times that something was impossible or undesirable.
        Didn't stop me and shouldn't stop you either ;-)

        Go for it!

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan

      • zbendtrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hello:

          > if it's accepted to paint over what comes in the box

          Absolutely.

          Put new roof's on them and paint them:
          <A HREF="http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Prototype.jpg">http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Prototype.jpg</A>

          Strip them and repaint them like Ron did:
          <A HREF="http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/2003_GATS/Rons_Train_Up_Close.jpg">http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/2003_GATS/Rons_Train_Up_Close.jpg</A>

          Go for it.

          Bill K.
          Houston

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
            > I'm
            > wondering if re-paints are unusual among Z-ers? I'm
            > not concerned
            > about re-sale "value" or what something is "worth",
            > I just don't
            > know if it's accepted to paint over what comes in
            > the box, or if
            > everyone just is patient and waits for Marklin to
            > release new
            > roadnames?

            In my case, as I have no experience with repainting or
            weathering rolling stock, I discovered a "profesional
            painter" at a modelrailroad show close to Paris,
            France. I will entrust my AZL Southern Pacific locos
            to him, and he will weather them to match SP practices
            about "cleanliness". And he will teach me how he
            works.
            Cheers
            Dominique

          • Curtis Campbell
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
              DEFINATELY GO FOR IT!!!!!

              We need more custom paint jobs, more kit bashing, more super detailing. And while you do it, document it, and when you are done take some photos and post them on this board or submit them to Ztrack Magazine so we can all learn from the experience and marvel over the work. The best stuff in Z is custom work. Jeff MacHan's UP 2-8-2, Yuji Kuwbara's magnificent DRG&W locos and rolling stock. I know of custom built diesel switchers, beautiful laser cut cabooses (or is it cabeese...ha ha), the aforementioned repaints of passeger cars are great, one guy made some incredible new steam power for a PRR layout, and Mr. Whites wonderful custom tanktrain (too bad CSX or Conrail didn't have one of these). In fact a guy on this board just repainted an E-8 in to UP - Milwaukee Road colors (BTW - Great Job!) There are countless others I have failed to mention. I have repainted several locos myself, it is fun and more interesting than the stuff out of the box. And what a sense of accomplishment too.

              Please please go for it. It is far more interesting, and realistic.

              Good luck...Curtis H. Campbell

              Ps - Rob congrats on the kid!!!

            • kurtulueck@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                Hi there!

                Oh yes customising and re-painting is really an exciting issue in Z Scale.
                All vehicles of the Red Rock Railroad are custom painted and detailed. The
                "easier" ones are mainly FR kits which need to be painted anyway, but like engine
                21 (ex DB 221) and latest the dump car also Märklin articles are used. I am
                actually in process of re-painting a fleet of MTL and Märklin F7's, caboose, and
                some more MOW stuff. Some of these customised cars and locos you can see at
                the Red Rock Railrod Homepage.

                Try it by yourself - customising is really fun!

                Cheers

                Kurt

                The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
                http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/index.html

              • dpstripe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Hack, cut, paint, detail... do whatever you want. It's all a part of American
                  Z. If it's not there, make it. Mybe the collectors value wil go down, but if
                  you aren't buying the items as an "investment", who cares. Besides, odds are,
                  someoneone else would be interested in buying it, anyway. I have personally
                  "destroyed" over $2000 worth of Marklin and MT locos and cars to get what I
                  wanted. But, now, I have what I wanted. Some day, maybe it will all be available,
                  but for now...
                  You can get some MT rolling stock , and PennZee hoppers undecorated. Father
                  Nature sells kits for heavyweight passenger cars, but you have to provide your
                  own Marklin trucks. In the long run, all you have to please is yourself. But,
                  as mentioned in an earlier post, show off your work and let others see what
                  you have done. Kitbashing and customizing are all parts of modelling. A big part
                  of this group is the sharing of ideas (both successes and failures). You
                  would be amazed what ome of the members have tried. So, repainting a few passenger
                  cars is more than acceptable.
                  Dan S.

                • Graham Jones
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Hi Everyone

                    A few months ago Will was selling on ebay a modified steam engine body to fit on the Marklin 0-8-0 chassis I liked the idea so much I made my own version and cast it in white metal. If anybody wants one drop me a email and we will come to an aggrement on price and shipping

                    Graham
                    ZClub(GB)

                  • Flayrah
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Sounds interesting - Could you post a photo?

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@f...> wrote:
                      > Hi Everyone
                      >
                      > A few months ago Will was selling on ebay a modified steam engine
                      body to fit on the Marklin 0-8-0 chassis I liked the idea so much I
                      made my own version and cast it in white metal. If anybody wants
                      one drop me a email and we will come to an aggrement on price and
                      shipping

                      > Graham
                      > ZClub(GB)

                    • rsmidt1
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Dan,

                        Did I miss something? Does Father Nature have heavyweight kits now
                        also or are you thinking of the PennZee heavyweight kits?

                        PennZee also sells custom repainted Marklin passenger car sets. He
                        doesn't really advertise them, but give Bob a call, he might have
                        what you are looking for already.

                        Randy Smidt

                      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                          A few months ago Will was selling on ebay a modified steam engine body to
                          fit on the Marklin 0-8-0 chassis I liked the idea so much I made my own
                          version and cast it in white metal. If anybody wants one drop me a email
                          and we will come to an aggrement on price and shipping

                          Graham
                          ZClub(GB)

                          Can we see what it looks like? Is it a Tank loco, by chance? Looking
                          for a suitable "Thomas" engine.

                          Thanks for the opportunity,

                        • dpstripe@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                            In a message dated 10/3/03 10:33:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            RSmidt@... writes:

                            > Dan,
                            >
                            > Did I miss something? Does Father Nature have heavyweight kits now
                            > also or are you thinking of the PennZee heavyweight kits?
                            >
                            > PennZee also sells custom repainted Marklin passenger car sets. He
                            > doesn't really advertise them, but give Bob a call, he might have
                            > what you are looking for already.

                            Randy,
                            The kits are the PennZee kits, but Father Nature is the only place that I
                            know of that has them. I'm not sure, but they might have been a joint effort
                            between them. Father nature was still listing them on his web site, and about 8
                            months ago said that he still carried them.
                            Dan S.

                          • Elizabeth Hayes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
                              microtrains sells all of their car body styles as undecorated except forone
                              of the 50 foot gondola types ( I forget which one) check on the
                              nscalemonster.com page so I don`t know why yoou would want to pay more for
                              a painted car just to paint over. Marklin doesn`t offer anything undecorated
                              except for the little container that fits on the two axle European flat car.
                              Why would you buy one of those ridiculous looking fifty foot box cars with
                              a brake wheel on each end and repaint it when Microtrains offers 4 differnt
                              50 foot-ers each of which looks better?
                              >From: de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                              >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Customizing/re-painting - OK, or a defacement?
                              >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:27:49 +0200 (CEST)
                              >
                              > > I'm
                              > > wondering if re-paints are unusual among Z-ers? I'm
                              > > not concerned
                              > > about re-sale "value" or what something is "worth",
                              > > I just don't
                              > > know if it's accepted to paint over what comes in
                              > > the box, or if
                              > > everyone just is patient and waits for Marklin to
                              > > release new
                              > > roadnames?
                              > >

                              >In my case, as I have no experience with repainting or
                              >weathering rolling stock, I discovered a "profesional
                              >painter" at a modelrailroad show close to Paris,
                              >France. I will entrust my AZL Southern Pacific locos
                              >to him, and he will weather them to match SP practices
                              >about "cleanliness". And he will teach me how he
                              >works.
                              >Cheers
                              >Dominique

                              High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
                              service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com
                            • Elizabeth Hayes
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
                                everytime somebody modifies a "collectors item" all of the other surviving
                                examples of the same item go up in price and the owners of such thank you
                                for doing so.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 5, 2003
                                  Graham
                                  Are there pictures availible?