Re: [z_scale] Re: Individuals with modules

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
      >Or maybe a stronger spring...

      I remember someone saying that you can use N scale springs to increase
      tension on the Z scale couplers....I'm not positive though. Search the
      Archives for "spring".

    • mrnosal
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
        > Randy,
        > My Golden~Blackhawk&Central City RR is a U shaped 22' x 20' Z-
        Bend Track modular layout. It has ( 5 ) 2' x 4' mods , (2) 3' x
        3' mods (1) 43" x 72" irregular shaped mod,and (1) 38" x 62"
        irregular shaped mod.
        > I set this up at shows on 30" high tables and have no crowd
        barriers.
        > I can continuously run 6 independent train sets .It is a CAB
        control set-up.

        > David G.
        > Spring, Tx.

        Wow! Any photos or track plans of this layout on the web?

        --Mike
      • David George
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
          Mike,
          Thanks for your interest. I don't have a web site for my PIKE, and I am not adept at using my Computer to send photos. I've been at many shows with other Z groups but have missed the cut on getting a picture sent to this group.
          BTW , I must correct my list of mods. I only have ( 4 ) 2' x 4' mods , and not ( 5 ).
          A previous issue of Z Track magazine ( about 3 yrs ago )had an article and some pics on my first module.
          David G
          "G~B&CC RR"

          mrnosal <mnosal@...> wrote:
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
          > Randy,
          > My Golden~Blackhawk&Central City RR is a U shaped 22' x 20' Z-
          Bend Track modular layout. It has ( 5 ) 2' x 4' mods , (2) 3' x
          3' mods (1) 43" x 72" irregular shaped mod,and (1) 38" x 62"
          irregular shaped mod.
          > I set this up at shows on 30" high tables and have no crowd
          barriers.
          > I can continuously run 6 independent train sets .It is a CAB
          control set-up.

          > David G.
          > Spring, Tx.

          Wow! Any photos or track plans of this layout on the web?

          --Mike

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • rsmidt1
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
            Glen,

            The half modules are a neat idea! I might try something like that
            myself in the future.

            Thanks for all the responses everyone. I was curious about this
            subject because, although I am in an organized module group, I also
            wanted to do modules for my home layout since the Queen of the House
            won't let me leave it out all the time, I have to put it away in
            storage when not in use. Using modules will let me have a bigger
            setup than trying to store a single, one-piece layout would.

            Randy Smidt
            Wash, DC Z-Bend Track

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@c...>
            wrote:
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rsmidt1" <RSmidt@m...> wrote:
            > > How many people out there have Z-scale modules (of any standard)
            > and
            > > are not members of an organized group?
            >
            > Hi Randy,
            >
            > No Z Bend groups around here (Dallas Texas), although there are a
            > couple Z Mod clubs (DG&M, Texas & Beyond). I was playing with and
            > started building a "half" Z-Bend module. Two mainlines are along
            one
            > edge to Z-Bend standards, when two of these half modules are
            fastened
            > together edge to edge they create a full size standard (but oddly
            > shaped) quad mainline Z-Bend module. But when fastened together
            end
            > to end the mainlines mate to create a double length dual mainline
            > layout.
            >
            > Stopped building it when I ran into a problem with MT couplers.
            When
            > backed onto a 145mm radius curve from the yard, then pulled forward
            > again, usually at least one and often several cars uncouple. The
            > couplers swing too far sideways when pushing in reverse and
            disengage
            > when pulled again.
            >
            > Has anyone else had this problem on 145mm radius curves? How about
            > on 170mm and 195mm radius curves? Have tried loosening and
            > tightening the mounting screws, and adding swing limiters which
            seems
            > to help at the expense of under-rail magnetic uncoupling. Maybe
            > there is a happy medium swing limit at which both functions work
            > properly, but haven't spent any more time on it. Seems that if MT
            > was to make the hook of the coupler a bit longer they might work
            > better. Or maybe a stronger spring...
          • jmac_han
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
              Hi David and Z_Scale members,

              Fortunately for all of us, fellow Z_Scale member "winterhawk"
              took a number of great photos of David's layout at NMRA
              National Train Show 2001 in St. Louis, MO. They can be
              admired here:

              As an addition bonus, you can also enjoy photos of Rob
              Allbritton's "Gotthard Lines" and my own "Val Ease Central"
              along with several candid shots of well-known members of the
              Z_Scale community.

              Enjoy,
              Jeffrey MacHan
              Chief Imagineer - VECRR