Re: [z_scale] Re: Poor performance (again ;-)

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2003
      Leon:

      > One question about this Whal Oil. How and why does it work?
      > Oil is normally an insulator so is there something special
      > with Whal oil that it is a conductor of electricity?

      Here's a repeat of message #14415 from the archives:

      > What is wahl oil?

      Wahl oil is an antirust, anticorrosion agent that is clear as water, and as
      "runny" as water. It has no smell, and it is definitely NOT a lubricating
      oil as we know it.

      The manufacturer's website is at:

      <A HREF="http://www.wahlpro.com/l3/accesswp.htm">http://www.wahlpro.com/l3/accesswp.htm</A>

      Normal use: The high-carbon steel clipper blades in electric hair cutting
      razors would rust in days if some form of rust protection is not provided to
      the surface of the blades. At the same time, can you image the mess that
      would result if oil (as we know it) was applied to the blades, then the
      cutter put into thin human hair? It would become a cat's fur-ball in a
      second.

      About 40+ years ago, some long forgotten model railroader discovered if you
      applied Walh Oil to the tracks, it would prevent oxidation and improve
      electrical performance for a month or more. It is still used today by large
      clubs with large layouts that are monsters to clean.

      The technique is to put a single drop on your index finger, then touch both
      rails with your finger every meter or so. Then immediately run trains
      normally. The wheels pick it up and spread it around nicely. You cannot see
      it or feel it after its applied.

      No, the loco wheels do not spin when it hits the "oil" nor do you trains fail

      to climb hills. No, it does not build up on the wheels of the locos or cars
      or track over time. Nor does it get into the scratch-and-pray electrical
      systems. It does not dissolve plastics or nylon. No, its is NOT good for
      any lubrication functions in train gears, motor bearings or anything else we
      use in Z scale.

      Do I believe in it? Absolutely. In the late 1980's I was involved with a
      large N scale layout (25 meters x 15 meters) and every couple of months, you
      could see the trains start to stutter from poor electrical connection to the
      track. A standard track cleaning (any method of your choice) followed by a
      Wahl Oil treatment kept the trains running perfectly for another 90 days.
      Without Wahl Oil, the track had to be recleaned every couple of weeks.

      Do I use it in Z scale? Yes. It works in Z too. But remember, only one
      drop on your finger (its not toxic) and touch the rails once a meter. That's
      it. A $2usd bottle is enough for 100 lifetimes. It compliments the
      functions of a Relco unit, too. Relco's kick in when you LOOSE the track
      circuit. Wahl oil helps to KEEP the track circuit in the first place.

      And finally, no, it does not resolve the classic problem of 0-4-0 steamers
      and Marklin dead-frog turnouts. That's a different problem.

      Hope this helps,
      Bill K.
      Houston

    • The Prez
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2003
        >The manufacturer's website is at:

        ><A HREF="http://www.wahlpro.com/l3/accesswp.htm">http://www.wahlpro.com/l3/accesswp.htm</A>

        I have tried to order it from US many weeks ago but the shipping costs were the same of
        an elephant with its baby.

        Any seller in Europe?

        Could anyone in US ship me one or 2 pieces without using Fedex, DHL or similar?

        I will refund through Paypal,

        Alex

      • Arjen
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "The Prez" <alextrov@e...> wrote:

          > >The manufacturer's website is at:
          >
          > ><A
          HREF="http://www.wahlpro.com/l3/accesswp.htm">http://www.wahlpro.com/
          l3/accesswp.htm</A>

          > I have tried to order it from US many weeks ago but the shipping
          costs were the same of
          > an elephant with its baby.
          >
          > Any seller in Europe?

          I bought a bottle off my local barber shop, here in Utrecht,
          Netherlands. Have you tried yours?

          Arjen Gerstel
          Utrecht
          The Netherlands
        • The Prez
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2003

            I bought a bottle off my local barber shop, here in Utrecht,
            Netherlands. Have you tried yours?

            Uhm... is it the US one? I do not think barber shops sell anything like that here
            and do not think there is that particular brand at all in Italy.
            maybe in some wholesale company for barber shops accessories.

            However I have found a Z friend in US that will ship 2 bottles to me.

            Thanks a lot,

            Alex

            Sponsor:
            Digitalpix: Stampe digitali su vera carta fotografica
            direttamente a casa tua a partire da € 0,18.
            Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=1535&d=1-10

          • Arjen
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2003
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "The Prez" <alextrov@e...> wrote:

              Yes, it is the US stuff, even says "made in USA" on the bottle. So,
              fellow Europeans, just ask your barber. Who knows.

              Arjen
            • bill.foote
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2003
                I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise Wahl Oil for
                sale - you need to talk nicely to your barber to see if he will either sell
                you his spare bottle or add one to his next barber-supplies order for you

                I bought a bottle off my local barber shop, here in Utrecht,
                Netherlands. Have you tried yours?

                Uhm... is it the US one? I do not think barber shops sell anything like that
                here
                and do not think there is that particular brand at all in Italy.
                maybe in some wholesale company for barber shops accessories.
              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                  > Yes, it is the US stuff, even says "made in USA" on
                  > the bottle. So,
                  > fellow Europeans, just ask your barber. Who knows.
                  >
                  > Arjen

                  Uhh, unfortunately, here in France I don't know any
                  barbershop selling any railroad model, so Z scale
                  stuff in a barbershop, I let you imagine! It's sad, as
                  I have 2 barbershops in a 100m radius around my home!
                  Unfortunately it will be long before we have a
                  barbershop beeing like the sample at Tehachapi, CA.
                  Cheers
                  Dominique

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                    All:

                    > I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise Wahl Oil

                    Suggestion: look for a barber supply outlet. Or a ladies beauty supply
                    outlet. Anyone that sells hair clippers will probably sell Wahl oil to go with
                    them.

                    "Sally Beauty Supply" is a huge chain store operation in the USA that sells
                    all manners of things ladies use to be "beautiful." Although I feel totally
                    out place when in the store surrounded by ladies talking about things I know
                    nothing about, I find many train things:

                    - Wahl Oil
                    - Funny little applicators (like ear swabs) that make great
                    applicators for weathering and cleaning
                    - Tiny brushes for painting, at a fraction of the price at "art" stores
                    - Foam backed sandpaper files (cheap)
                    - Makeup powders in earth tones for weathering
                    - Tiny wood and metal "picks" to use in constructing things
                    - Foam sponges for cleaning
                    - Plastic bottles, both hard and squeeze types with long snouts
                    - Strange looking clamps, excellent for use as a "3rd" hand
                    - Plastic storage boxes with compartments

                    I you take your wife with you, she will be pleased to explain what all these
                    things are "supposed" to be used for.

                    Hope this helps,
                    Bill Kronenberger
                    Houston

                  • tsa47
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Here in Canada I know Wal-Mart sell Wahl oil.

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
                      > All:
                      >
                      > > I very much doubt if _any_ barber shop will actually advertise
                      Wahl Oil

                    • Bruce
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                        While trying various ways to clean the Marklin Z track on my first Z
                        setup, he battery powered blue 0-6-0 and car and optional track set
                        with 4 turnouts, I tried rubbing a small scrap of the cork sheet I
                        had cut and fit as roadbed under the track and found it wipes the
                        rails quite well and doesn't snag switch points like cloth does. The
                        cork picks up oxidation real well and can be cleaned somewhat with
                        rubbing alchohol a time or two but that's more work then it's worth
                        as a small piece of cork will last for several cleanings on the
                        double loop I have set up.

                        I've worked with HO and a little N since I was a kid and for some
                        reason I have never heard of putting Whal hair clipper oil on track
                        to improve smooth operating. I imagine the trick is to use just
                        enough to dampen the rail surface without getting it noticably wet
                        and would suspect any really thin oil, like sewing machine oil, would
                        work.

                        I also have found getting just the right spring pressure on the motor
                        brushes in all scales I've worked with can make a very big difference
                        in how a loco runs. New out of the box the Marklin 0-6-0 I have would
                        not run at the lowest transformer settings (the white one that came
                        with the optional track set) and would tend to suddenly take off as
                        power was increased.

                        I found after adjusting the tension on the motor brushes until I
                        found the right pressure that allowed it to start and ran the best
                        without sputtering from too little brush pressure the loco would
                        start and run at the first contact of the transformer wiper so well
                        that I ended up having to put a small resistance in line with one of
                        the power supply wires to the track so the loco would start smoothly
                        and not take off suddenly at the first voltage the power supply puts
                        out.

                        What I used to drop track starting voltage a bit was a two commonly
                        available 1 amp power supply type diodes (the little black ones with
                        a grey stripe at one end) connected in series with one of the power
                        supply wires, and another pair facing the opposite way in parallel
                        (must have one pair in each direction to allow power to flow both
                        ways for forward and reverse).

                        The voltage drop across many low power diodes like those often found
                        in the power supplies of small electronic devices is typicaly .3
                        to .5 volts, which makes them an ideal way to drop a little voltage
                        when needed on low voltage circuits like model railroads and ham and
                        cb radio panel lights that uses 12 vdc for the panel lights. It is
                        also a good way to reduce the brilliance and add life span to
                        lighting used in model railroad buildings powered by a fixed dc
                        voltage source.

                        Those 1 am power supply type diodes can often be found in bulk packs
                        at Radio Shack or any electronic parts supplier and aren't expensive
                        (if they are then go somewhere else). If you don't mind doing a
                        little disassembly and unsoldering they can be got for free from
                        cheap am-fm radios, tape recorders, and any smaller electronic device
                        that has a built in power supply that is going to be thrown out as
                        junk.

                        Hope this is of some help to the group.

                        Bruce

                        >turnouts some times.. I then noticed somebody in this group
                        >mentioned the tiniest smear of Whal oil on the track improved things
                        >dramatically. I tried this and have no more problems!
                        > I found I could not by Whal oil in New Zealand anymore but found
                        >Bernina sewing machine oil was the same thing.

                        > Brush tension also makes a big difference.
                      • David George
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                          Bruce,
                          Don't confuse Whal "OIL" with other lubricants. It is not a true OIL but is primarily an oxidation inhibitor and does not provide a lubricant effect.
                          David G.
                          "G~B&CC RR"

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • bill.foote
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 2, 2003
                            FWIIW the forward voltage drop in a Silicon Diode (the most usually found
                            type these days) is 0.7 volt (the now almost completely obsolete Germanium
                            Diode has a smaller forward voltage drop)