Re: [z_scale] MT F-7 questions

  • The Prez
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----

      Why a F-7B boddy shell will not go on a F-7A power frame to make an
      A-B power lashup?

      I can confirm that in the messages archive you can find the answer.
      You have to scrape the internal sides or similar.

      Also with that rate of production... Is there somebody insterested
      in making decals in Z scale ? I dont need 10 ATSF tanks with the
      same reporting marks?

      This is another topic recently discussed. I can repost the following:

      http://www.scalerailgraphics.com/

      Bill "may prepare Z scale decals on request and depending on workload from
      usual H0 and N business"

      Ciao

      Alex

    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
        are you talking about Microtrains or Marklin F7s??

        >From: "The Prez" <alextrov@...>
        >To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [z_scale] MT F-7 questions
        >Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:35:41 +0200

        Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments. Get Hotmail
        Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
          I believe there was an article about it in the sept/oct 2001 issue of ZTrack.
          The key is that you have to shave the inside of the b shell to clear the
          motor of the powered A. Use the edge of an exacto knife held perpendicular to the
          surface to scrape a little at a time. Then you either have to put small holes
          in the bottom of the shell to let the chasis mounting "nubs" poke through, or
          else grind the nubs off and let friction hold the shells on.
          Dan S.

        • Mr. W
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
            Well, let me try to address a couple of your questions. First, I
            think it's fair to say that the B-unit was originally intended to be
            powered. However, it didn't work out that way, for reasons that I
            won't go into. You can choose to power a B-unit one of a few ways.
            First, you can simply put up with the fact that the sides will bulge
            out a little when a B-unit shell is mounted over a powered frame. Not
            terribly satisfying. Second, as has already been mentioned, you can
            scrape out some of the shell material from the insides of the B-unit
            shell around where the motor in the powered frame is (the motor is a
            little wider than the rest of the frame, and therefore needs a little
            more clearance). Finally, if you're up to it, you can remove some of
            the metal from the outer surface of the metal frame around the motor,
            reducing it to the same width as the rest of the powered frame. None
            of these are ideal solutions, but they all offer you alternatives to
            give you a powered B-unit.
            Now, as to the weight of the dummies, in general the dummies are the
            first cars directly behind the locomotive. Thus, when the train is
            going around a corner, the dummies face the greatest force trying to
            pull them off the track, especially with longer trains. I can tell you
            from my own experience when we were testing them that if the dummies
            were much lighter it wouldn't be hard at all to put together a train
            that would be long enough to pull them right off the track in a tight
            turn.

            Mr. W

          • raymorrissette@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003

[...]