Marklin Starter Set

  • Yuji Kuwabara
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2003
      Hello,

      I have a wish on Marklin's production plan.
      As a regular USA Z item collector, the 2003 new item
      "81835 Z Gauge Large American Super Deluxe 2-Train Starter Set" is
      a nightmare. I want to have at least two F7 A units for each paint
      scheme.
      I must purchase two set of 81835. It is waste of both money and storage
      space.

      I hope Marklin do following one of production style:

      1. Not produce a starter set with F7
      2. Produce a starter set with two F7 A units
      3. Produce a starter set with single F7 and a separate single F7 A unit
      item
      in the same paint scheme

      Regards.

      Yuji Kuwabara
    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2003
        >I must purchase two set of 81835. It is waste of both money and storage
        >space.

        Please let me know if you have extra SP Steamers from this set. I will buy
        them for sure.

        Thanks, and good luck,

      • Elizabeth Hayes
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2003
          doesn`t seem unusual that a "starter" set would come with that much
          equipment in it? one suggestion to Marklin would be, every item that is
          released ( whethet it comes in a set or not) should also be available as a
          single separate item. Just imagine the poor slob who wants extra cars to
          run with the latest Southern Ry passenger set if he wants two extra pullmans
          ten he has to buy two extra sets to get them. and doesn`t Marklin claim
          that if you are running a set of their passengers cars then you really
          should run the behind a pair of F7s for optimum performance?

          >From: Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...>
          >To: Z scale List <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [z_scale] Marklin Starter Set
          >Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:47:26 +0900
          >
          >Hello,
          >
          >I have a wish on Marklin's production plan.
          >As a regular USA Z item collector, the 2003 new item
          >"81835 Z Gauge Large American Super Deluxe 2-Train Starter Set" is
          >a nightmare. I want to have at least two F7 A units for each paint
          >scheme.
          >I must purchase two set of 81835. It is waste of both money and storage
          >space.
          >
          >I hope Marklin do following one of production style:
          >
          >1. Not produce a starter set with F7
          >2. Produce a starter set with two F7 A units
          >3. Produce a starter set with single F7 and a separate single F7 A unit
          >item
          > in the same paint scheme
          >

          > Regards.
          >
          > Yuji Kuwabara

          Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
        • Ralph Scott
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2003
            I noticed that back in 1987 that marklin produced Santa Fe EMD F7 8860, Southern Pacific EMD F7 8861 and Amtrack EMD F7 8862 as individual items. They also produced AmtrackVista Dome car 8763 Baggage car 8764 and Observation car 8765 as individual items
            there was also a Chelsie System 1C&O F7 freight set with caboose 8106
            in 2001 marklin produced 88603 Milwaukee Road F7 with caboose and 82512 3 wagon freight set to go with the loco.
            so it is not unheard of for marklin to produce these as individual items
            just adding my 2c worth!
            Ralph
            doesn`t seem unusual that a "starter" set would come with that much
            equipment in it? one suggestion to Marklin would be, every item that is
            released ( whethet it comes in a set or not) should also be available as a
            single separate item. Just imagine the poor slob who wants extra cars to
            run with the latest Southern Ry passenger set if he wants two extra pullmans
            ten he has to buy two extra sets to get them. and doesn`t Marklin claim
            that if you are running a set of their passengers cars then you really
            should run the behind a pair of F7s for optimum performance?

            >From: Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...>
            >To: Z scale List <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [z_scale] Marklin Starter Set
            >Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:47:26 +0900
            >
            >Hello,
            >
            >I have a wish on Marklin's production plan.
            >As a regular USA Z item collector, the 2003 new item
            >"81835 Z Gauge Large American Super Deluxe 2-Train Starter Set" is
            >a nightmare. I want to have at least two F7 A units for each paint
            >scheme.
            >I must purchase two set of 81835. It is waste of both money and storage
            >space.
            >
            >I hope Marklin do following one of production style:
            >
            >1. Not produce a starter set with F7
            >2. Produce a starter set with two F7 A units
            >3. Produce a starter set with single F7 and a separate single F7 A unit
            >item
            > in the same paint scheme
            >

            > Regards.
            >
            > Yuji Kuwabara

            Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
              As long as you know 10 years before hand what will be available in sets
              eventually.....

              I think he was referring to "current" sets - because if you see one and buy
              it, you almost always want to expand it. I don't think that similar pieces
              manufactured a decade earlier are very much help....
              I agree with Ralph. Mainly because I want a Sounthern Pacific locomotive,
              as in the set he refers to, and can't get it without buying all the extra
              "stuff" plus an passenger train from a different railway!!!!

              I, 1 - don't use maerklin turnouts
              2 - don't use maerklin trafos
              3 - don't use maerklin track, well, maybe a little.

              SO all that jazz in the box is unusable, for me.

              >so it is not unheard of for marklin to produce these as individual items
              >just adding my 2c worth!
              >Ralph
            • Yuji Kuwabara
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
                Hello Ted Lamar,

                >> I must purchase two set of 81835. It is waste of both money and
                >> storage
                >> space.
                >
                > Please let me know if you have extra SP Steamers from this set. I
                > will buy
                > them for sure.

                I'm sorry that doing this breaks my collection rule.
                I hope Marklin re-consider their production policy,
                and this Z-list has some influence on them.

                Regards.

                Yuji Kuwabara
              • Elizabeth Hayes
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
                  Marklin never sold their Amtrak passenger items as a set, you had to buy
                  them all separately, the Chessie set , you could only buy as loco+ caboose
                  +the three boxcars Milwaukee F7 and loco were only available as the pair,
                  so I am sue that Yuji has an extra Milwaukee caboose that he didn`t want
                  when he bought the second Milwaukee F7 that he needed The Santa Fe and
                  Southern Pacific F7s (along with the Burlington Northern) were sold in those
                  infamous sets each with two boxcars a gondola and a cboose. There were three
                  different boxcars among the three sets, two in each. If you wanted all three
                  boxcars, then you had to purchase at least two of the sets, after the sets
                  were discontinued, the three locomotives were available separately, the
                  three cabooses were available separately, and the three gondolas were
                  available separately, but the boxcars? They vanished from the inventory
                  list. I only bought the one set at the time, now if I wanted to buy the
                  third boxcar, it would probably cost as much for the one car as I would have
                  paid for the entire set back then>From: "Ralph Scott"
                  <ralph.scott@...>
                  >To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Marklin Starter Set
                  >Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:10:07 +1200
                  >
                  >I noticed that back in 1987 that marklin produced Santa Fe EMD F7 8860,
                  >Southern Pacific EMD F7 8861 and Amtrack EMD F7 8862 as individual items.
                  >They also produced AmtrackVista Dome car 8763 Baggage car 8764 and
                  >Observation car 8765 as individual items
                  >there was also a Chelsie System 1C&O F7 freight set with caboose 8106
                  >in 2001 marklin produced 88603 Milwaukee Road F7 with caboose and 82512
                  > 3 wagon freight set to go with the loco.
                  >so it is not unheard of for marklin to produce these as individual items
                  >just adding my 2c worth!
                  >Ralph

                  Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--
                  sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
                • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
                    >> Please let me know if you have extra SP Steamers from this set. I
                    >> will buy
                    >> them for sure.

                    >I'm sorry that doing this breaks my collection rule.
                    >I hope Marklin re-consider their production policy,
                    >and this Z-list has some influence on them.

                    > Regards.

                    > Yuji Kuwabara

                    Thanks for your consideration, Yuji, and your timely response.

                    Welcome to October!

                  • Yuji Kuwabara
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Hello Elizabeth,

                      > the Chessie set , you could only buy as loco+ caboose
                      > +the three boxcars

                      Yes, I have two sets.

                      > Milwaukee F7 and loco were only available as the pair,
                      > so I am sue that Yuji has an extra Milwaukee caboose that he didn`t
                      > want
                      > when he bought the second Milwaukee F7 that he needed

                      You are right. I purchased two sets.

                      > The Santa Fe and
                      > Southern Pacific F7s (along with the Burlington Northern) were sold in
                      > those
                      > infamous sets each with two boxcars a gondola and a cboose. There were
                      > three
                      > different boxcars among the three sets, two in each. If you wanted all
                      > three
                      > boxcars, then you had to purchase at least two of the sets, after the
                      > sets
                      > were discontinued, the three locomotives were available separately, the
                      > three cabooses were available separately, and the three gondolas were
                      > available separately, but the boxcars? They vanished from the
                      > inventory
                      > list. I only bought the one set at the time, now if I wanted to buy
                      > the
                      > third boxcar, it would probably cost as much for the one car as I
                      > would have
                      > paid for the entire set back then

                      I'm still looking for 8001A (SP set).

                      Regards.

                      Yuji Kuwabara
                    • Elizabeth Hayes
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2003
                        did you buy both the ATSF and the Burlington Northern sets? if so you have
                        all three of the boxcars and the missing gondola and caboose and
                        locomotive you can still purchase separately so the only thing that you are
                        missing is the box or more specifically the flap that has the set number
                        printed on it

                        >From: Yuji Kuwabara <HHG01200@...>
                        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [z_scale] Re: Marklin Starter Set
                        >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:42:06 +0900
                        >
                        >Hello Elizabeth,
                        >
                        > > the Chessie set , you could only buy as loco+ caboose
                        > > +the three boxcars
                        >
                        >Yes, I have two sets.
                        >

                        > > Milwaukee F7 and loco were only available as the pair,
                        > > so I am sue that Yuji has an extra Milwaukee caboose that he didn`t
                        > > want
                        > > when he bought the second Milwaukee F7 that he needed
                        >
                        >You are right. I purchased two sets.
                        >

                        > > The Santa Fe and
                        > > Southern Pacific F7s (along with the Burlington Northern) were sold in
                        > > those
                        > > infamous sets each with two boxcars a gondola and a cboose. There were
                        > > three
                        > > different boxcars among the three sets, two in each. If you wanted all
                        > > three
                        > > boxcars, then you had to purchase at least two of the sets, after the
                        > > sets
                        > > were discontinued, the three locomotives were available separately, the
                        > > three cabooses were available separately, and the three gondolas were
                        > > available separately, but the boxcars? They vanished from the
                        > > inventory
                        > > list. I only bought the one set at the time, now if I wanted to buy
                        > > the
                        > > third boxcar, it would probably cost as much for the one car as I
                        > > would have
                        > > paid for the entire set back then
                        >
                        >I'm still looking for 8001A (SP set).
                        >

                        > Regards.
                        >
                        > Yuji Kuwabara

                        Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage