  • zscale@retrograde.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 6:47 PM
      Hello, everyone. Here's your latest newbie.

      Name: Andy
      Age: 33
      Model RR Experience: 7 whole months, Z only

      I've been planning and collecting track, trains, etc. for a layout
      since the beginning of the year. The plan is to build a 3 x 5 foot
      layout in a wooden case. The era is American, circa 1945-1955, but
      for now my emphasis will be on operation over detail, so it won't be
      particularly prototypical.

      Naturally, I'll have plenty of questions. I've browsed through many of
      your past postings, and they've been very informative.

      For starters: what are the average dimensions of tunnel portals in Z
      scale? I'm guessing the inside clearance should be at least 30mm
      high, and the top of the portal around 40-45mm. I have one loop which
      needs to go over a couple tunnels, but to get a track up to 50 or 60
      mm and back down again at a 2% or 3% grade in a small layout is a bit
      of a challenge!

      I'm glad to have discovered this list. Keep up the good work!

      Regards,

      Andy