Re: Newbie

  • Judy Watkins
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
      who can give you the help you are looking for.

      Judy Watkins
      Dallas, TX
    • ejshelton
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 3, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@c...>
        wrote:
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ejshelton" <ejshelton@j...> wrote:
        > > I got it to use with my miniatures (1:12). I
        > > was working on a farm on a door used as a shelf. I had the barn
        > and
        > > planed on puting in a farmhouse. I decided to use the little
        train
        > > as a garden train--
        >
        > Welcome to Z scale, Ellen.
        >
        > Let's see if i got this right - you are modeling a farm with a
        garden
        > railroad. Your farm scale is 1:12, so Z at 1:220 becomes about
        1:18
        > relative to the farm, close enough to represent a G scale (1:22.5)
        > garden RR. What a neat idea!

        I posted some pics--not the best--but what I have. The train now
        goes around the barn and I have added more scenery. I will post them
        later.

        Ellen
      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 4, 2003
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ejshelton" <ejshelton@j...> wrote:

          > I posted some pics--not the best--but what I have. The train now
          > goes around the barn and I have added more scenery. I will post
          them
          > later.

          Lookin good. There seems to be trend lately for making models of
          models. Looking forward to your sceniced photos.
        • roy_corrigan
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 29, 2003
            Hi, y'all. I'm finally in my third 'childhood', and I feel the need
            to progress from HO to Z-guage. I've been perusing a lot of items in
            the Marklin brand. Now, I KNOW I probably should (and will, sooner
            or later) check the archives, but does anyone have any sage and
            immediate advice for someone who:
            A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
            B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
            C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
            D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
            E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal mining/logging
            camp theme?
            Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
            Roy
          • Markus
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 29, 2003
              Roy,

              I'd suggest that your best is to pick a reasonably priced starter
              set. The 81535 with Steam locomotive, basic track circle and
              transformer is worth considering.

              It runs well, is affordable and gives you an idea of the "scale" of
              Z equipment.

              A Casey Jones, 81419 would certainly fit the Old West look, more
              than anything else -- though these are not cheap, and potentially
              difficult to find.

              Finding a 2x4 or 2.5x4 N scale (or 4x8 HO scale) plan that you like
              would be a good starting point. A small N scale plan can really
              benefit from the extra "air" of building it in Z at the same table
              size.

              Markuszzz

              > A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
              > B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
              > C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
              > D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
              > E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal
              mining/logging
              > camp theme?
              > Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
              > Roy
            • frederick ladd
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 30, 2003
                Roy,
                Dover books has a nice western town in HO. These are hard paper models and can be ZZapped down to Z on a color copier or just used as plans for styrene sheets. I have done this to many of these books including page 102 and 106 in Jan 04 edition of MR.
                Break.. Congratulations to the group for gaining 1,000 and soon 1,100 !!
                Fred

                A Casey Jones, 81419 would certainly fit the Old West look, more
                than anything else -- though these are not cheap, and potentially
                difficult to find. Yup!

                > A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
                > B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
                > C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
                > D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
                > E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal
                mining/logging
                > camp theme?
                > Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
                > Roy

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • pat_lawless
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 30, 2003
                  Roy wrote:
                  >From: "roy_corrigan" <rsc@...>
                  >Subject: Newbie

                  >Hi, y'all. I'm finally in my third 'childhood', and I feel the need
                  >to progress from HO to Z-guage. I've been perusing a lot of items in
                  >the Marklin brand. Now, I KNOW I probably should (and will, sooner
                  >or later) check the archives, but does anyone have any sage and
                  >immediate advice for someone who:
                  >A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
                  >B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
                  >C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
                  >D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
                  >E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal
                  >mining/logging
                  >camp theme?

                  Hi Roy! Microfigs has a mine complex that they recently released.
                  Their web site is at http://www.microfigs.com Good luck!

                  Pat Lawless

                  >Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
                  >Roy
                • jeffery_kincaid
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 8, 2004
                    Greetings,

                    My name is Jeff Kincaid and I stumbled onto Z scale while on my way
                    to Nn3! I had set up some track to run an Nn3 engine I bought. It
                    along with it's replacement had motor problems requiring their
                    return. As it will be some months before the problem with these
                    engines are fixed I faced with cooling my modeling jets.

                    So on sheer impulse I bought the Marklin CB&Q freight set. It runs
                    like a charm and I am really enjoying it. I am begining to build a
                    small layout representing the double track mainline between Lincoln
                    and Omaha in the early 1950's.

                    I recently saw a Marklin Burlington Zephyr go on Ebay. It was a 3
                    car set. Is that the only Zephyr set Marklin made?

                    MTL had an SP mogul that looked like it could be converted to a CB&Q
                    Prairie type. What is the general opinion of that particular engine?

                    I have an article off of the net that provides directions on
                    converting Marklin cars to MTL couplers and moving the trucks closer
                    to the ends. The writer recommends milling new bolters on a milling
                    machine. Are there any alternative methods for this type of
                    conversion? I would like to convert the tender and caboose to MTL
                    couplers without buying and learning how to operate a milling machine!

                    I have been following the list and reading the archives and tips
                    sections. I plan on incorporating several of these ideas into my
                    layout. The idea of using a soda straw for electric wires is
                    brilliant. I am very impressed with the information and the high
                    level of energy this group has.

                    I will thank all of you who respond to my questions in advance. I am
                    looking forward to doing more in Z scale and participating in the
                    group.

                    Thanks

                    Jeff
                  • gumone@piasanet.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 9, 2004
                      > Greetings,
                      >
                      > My name is Jeff Kincaid and I stumbled onto Z scale while on my
                      > way
                      > to Nn3!
                      > I recently saw a Marklin Burlington Zephyr go on Ebay. It was a 3
                      > car set. Is that the only Zephyr set Marklin made?
                      >
                      > MTL had an SP mogul that looked like it could be converted to a
                      > CB&Q
                      > Prairie type. What is the general opinion of that particular engine?
                      Jeff,
                      Welcome to the wonderful world of Z! I recently purchased Marklin's Burlington California Zephyr via Ebay (one of them at least, they come up every so often). It is the only Zephyr they produced and it's a beauty. However, a Pioneer Zephyr would really take the prize!!
                      I have only gotten to see the MTL SP Mogul (actually got to hold it!) at a recent train show put on my a local club. It wasn't being run, but it's owner told me that it is actually set on a Marklin chassis. I cannot attest to that but that was his claim. So, my input here is only to affirm that it exists and is relatively rare.
                      Keep on Z-ing!
                      Bruce E. Baumberger
                      MidweZt HaulerZ, Car C
                      Owner/Operator, The Bumbling BLine, "Where the shortest distance between two points isn't"
                    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 9, 2004
                        >MTL had an SP mogul that looked like it could be converted to a CB&Q
                        >Prairie type. What is the general opinion of that particular engine?

                        Super little guy. Basically a Maerklin 060 chassis with the nice brass
                        body and leading truck. I love mine. Always looking for a deal on one of
                        those...They are going for ~350.

                      • Lynette S. Losey
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 1, 2007
                          Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                          appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                          loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                          and a minature teddy bear artist.

                          Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}

                          Lynette
                        • John Duino
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 1, 2007
                            Welcome to the Z and the group! Your addiction has just begun...and I
                            can hardly wait to see a Z-scale brown bear ambling through a picnic
                            area...

                            John

                            On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 21:07 +0000, Lynette S. Losey wrote:
                            > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                            > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                            > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                            > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                            >
                            > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                            >
                            > Lynette

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Reynard Wellman
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 1, 2007
                              Welcome Lynette,
                              This a fairly considerate group which has enough
                              members so that any questions or contributions you
                              might have should be responded to with our best
                              ideas and comments. I like bears too, in fact I
                              included a Z scale, big Kodiak bear in one of my
                              kits. Not exactly a youngster's nap time companion,
                              like a nice plush teddy, but a bear none-the-less.

                              Best regardZ,
                              Reynard

                              On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Lynette S. Losey wrote:

                              > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                              > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                              > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                              > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                              >
                              > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                              >
                              > Lynette

                            • bearlover
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 2, 2007
                                Thank you John!!

                                John Duino <jduino@...> wrote: Welcome to the Z and the group! Your addiction has just begun...and I
                                can hardly wait to see a Z-scale brown bear ambling through a picnic
                                area...

                                John

                                On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 21:07 +0000, Lynette S. Losey wrote:
                                > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                >
                                > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                >
                                > Lynette

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • bearlover
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 2, 2007
                                  Thanks Reynard! Bears fit in anywhere it seems! Lynette

                                  Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote: Welcome Lynette,
                                  This a fairly considerate group which has enough
                                  members so that any questions or contributions you
                                  might have should be responded to with our best
                                  ideas and comments. I like bears too, in fact I
                                  included a Z scale, big Kodiak bear in one of my
                                  kits. Not exactly a youngster's nap time companion,
                                  like a nice plush teddy, but a bear none-the-less.

                                  Best regardZ,
                                  Reynard

                                  On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Lynette S. Losey wrote:

                                  > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                  > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                  > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                  > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                  >
                                  > Lynette

                                • Kez
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 2, 2007
                                    A warm welcome and Happy New Year to you, Lynette.

                                    We hope that you enjoy your stay, and that you learn a lot, and share all of
                                    your Z journeys with us!

                                    Your skill with miniatures will suit you well, and we look forward to seeing
                                    your efforts.

                                    Best regards,
                                    Bryan Keyser
                                    Vienna, VA
                                    DC Z_Bend Track

                                    > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                    > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                    > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                    > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                    >
                                    > Lynette
                                  • bearlover

                                      > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                      > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                      > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                      > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                      >
                                      > Lynette

                                    • Melissa Cull
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 3, 2007
                                        Hello Lynette,

                                        Great to see another lady modeller. If you can do Z scale teddy bears that
                                        would be fabulous. Teddies are great in any size though:-)

                                        Kind RegardZ

                                        Melissa Cull
                                        UK

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 4, 2007
                                            Hi Lynette,

                                            Well Z-Scale is the ideal scale for people that say "I don't do big!"....
                                            I've not seen a Z Scale mini yet.

                                            I'm trying to create Z scale German food for my Bavarian Mountain Food
                                            themed layout as well as a giant illuminated advertising Wurst / sausage for
                                            the sausage factory.

                                            Kind RegardZ

                                            Melissa
                                            UK

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 14, 2012
                                              Hey Folks!

                                              Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.

                                              I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?

                                              I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.

                                              Eric
                                            • mark2playz
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 14, 2012
                                                Eric,
                                                Welcome to Z scale. I've been using the MTL turnouts for a while and other than cleaning up some rough edges on newly purchased units and keeping crud out of them, I haven't had any problems. If the isssue is with specific cars, you might want to check the wheel gauge.
                                                You can use the Rokuhan track with MTL if you don't use the roadbed joiners. You might want to check out the links on the Peco thread for more details on the tracks.

                                                Mark

                                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@...> wrote:

                                                > Hey Folks!
                                                >
                                                > Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.
                                                >
                                                > I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?
                                                >
                                                > I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.
                                                >
                                                > Eric

                                              • kevin
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 15, 2012
                                                  Hi Eric

                                                  Members of my club have seen the same proble with MTL track. They have change switches to solve the problem.

                                                  I have do not have this problem with the Marklin Track.

                                                  My lay out is a group of Z Bend Track Models and I like switches alot, one of my 3 x3 moduleu has 19 switch on it.

                                                  I have used Marklin Track with MTL Flex for over ten years now and have never had a prblem with a Marklin switches. Yes there are expensive but when you start repaceing switches the MTL track add up to be more. Your getting what you pay for

                                                  Everyone in Z Scale in America ran to the MTL track and switches and their seems to be problems and now the fad is to run Rokuhan.

                                                  I say before telling people to use this track we should see it in use for Ten years.

                                                  Kevin

                                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hey Folks!
                                                  >
                                                  > Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.
                                                  >
                                                  > I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?
                                                  >
                                                  > I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.
                                                  >
                                                  > Eric

                                                • mark2playz
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 15, 2012
                                                    Eric,
                                                    Out of curiosity can anyone answer Jeff's question about the switches or has anyone in your club opened a switch to determine why its loose or returned it to the factory? Its hard for MTL to fix something if they don't it broken.
                                                    Remember Intel shipped a million Pentium processors before they realized it couldn't multiply right and nearly nobody noticed.

                                                    Mark

                                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <kd79ctls@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi Eric
                                                    >
                                                    > Members of my club have seen the same proble with MTL track. They have change switches to solve the problem.
                                                    >
                                                    > I have do not have this problem with the Marklin Track.
                                                    >
                                                    > My lay out is a group of Z Bend Track Models and I like switches alot, one of my 3 x3 moduleu has 19 switch on it.
                                                    >

                                                    > I have used Marklin Track with MTL Flex for over ten years now and have never had a prblem with a Marklin switches. Yes there are expensive but when you start repaceing switches the MTL track add up to be more. Your getting what you pay for
                                                    >
                                                    > Everyone in Z Scale in America ran to the MTL track and switches and their seems to be problems and now the fad is to run Rokuhan.
                                                    >
                                                    > I say before telling people to use this track we should see it in use for Ten years.
                                                    >

                                                    > Kevin
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Hey Folks!
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Eric

                                                  • Jeff
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 16, 2012
                                                      Are the derailments are in one or both directions?

                                                      Random cars / locos or all?

                                                      Have you manually 'slid' them thru the turnout to determine is it the points or the frog area?

                                                      Are you trying to run thru an 'incorrectly' positioned points ? You can on märklin but mostly only with metal wheels. You cannot with the MTL turnouts.

                                                      Jeff M
                                                      SF Bay Area Z