Newbie

  • ejshelton
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi

      I'm new to trains and Z scale. I got my first set right after
      Christmas last year. I got it to use with my miniatures (1:12). I
      was working on a farm on a door used as a shelf. I had the barn and
      planed on puting in a farmhouse. I decided to use the little train
      as a garden train--and it has taken over--no more room for the
      house. I purchased another set--with turnouts--and learned to wire
      those--and to wire so some of the track was dead--so I could park
      trains. I spent yesterday expanding the layout even more--it goes
      the full length of the door--around the barn--through the yard--even
      through the horses. I hope to learn a lot from all of you. This is
      long so bye for now

      Ellen
    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ejshelton" <ejshelton@j...> wrote:
        > I got it to use with my miniatures (1:12). I
        > was working on a farm on a door used as a shelf. I had the barn
        and
        > planed on puting in a farmhouse. I decided to use the little train
        > as a garden train--

        Welcome to Z scale, Ellen.

        Let's see if i got this right - you are modeling a farm with a garden
        railroad. Your farm scale is 1:12, so Z at 1:220 becomes about 1:18
        relative to the farm, close enough to represent a G scale (1:22.5)
        garden RR. What a neat idea!

        Do you have any photos you can post? Regards
      • Judy Watkins
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
          who can give you the help you are looking for.

          Judy Watkins
          Dallas, TX
        • ejshelton
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 3, 2003
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@c...>
            wrote:
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ejshelton" <ejshelton@j...> wrote:
            > > I got it to use with my miniatures (1:12). I
            > > was working on a farm on a door used as a shelf. I had the barn
            > and
            > > planed on puting in a farmhouse. I decided to use the little
            train
            > > as a garden train--
            >
            > Welcome to Z scale, Ellen.
            >
            > Let's see if i got this right - you are modeling a farm with a
            garden
            > railroad. Your farm scale is 1:12, so Z at 1:220 becomes about
            1:18
            > relative to the farm, close enough to represent a G scale (1:22.5)
            > garden RR. What a neat idea!

            I posted some pics--not the best--but what I have. The train now
            goes around the barn and I have added more scenery. I will post them
            later.

            Ellen
          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 4, 2003
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ejshelton" <ejshelton@j...> wrote:

              > I posted some pics--not the best--but what I have. The train now
              > goes around the barn and I have added more scenery. I will post
              them
              > later.

              Lookin good. There seems to be trend lately for making models of
              models. Looking forward to your sceniced photos.
            • roy_corrigan
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 29, 2003
                Hi, y'all. I'm finally in my third 'childhood', and I feel the need
                to progress from HO to Z-guage. I've been perusing a lot of items in
                the Marklin brand. Now, I KNOW I probably should (and will, sooner
                or later) check the archives, but does anyone have any sage and
                immediate advice for someone who:
                A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
                B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
                C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
                D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
                E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal mining/logging
                camp theme?
                Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
                Roy
              • Markus
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 29, 2003
                  Roy,

                  I'd suggest that your best is to pick a reasonably priced starter
                  set. The 81535 with Steam locomotive, basic track circle and
                  transformer is worth considering.

                  It runs well, is affordable and gives you an idea of the "scale" of
                  Z equipment.

                  A Casey Jones, 81419 would certainly fit the Old West look, more
                  than anything else -- though these are not cheap, and potentially
                  difficult to find.

                  Finding a 2x4 or 2.5x4 N scale (or 4x8 HO scale) plan that you like
                  would be a good starting point. A small N scale plan can really
                  benefit from the extra "air" of building it in Z at the same table
                  size.

                  Markuszzz

                  > A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
                  > B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
                  > C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
                  > D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
                  > E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal
                  mining/logging
                  > camp theme?
                  > Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
                  > Roy
                • frederick ladd
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 30, 2003
                    Roy,
                    Dover books has a nice western town in HO. These are hard paper models and can be ZZapped down to Z on a color copier or just used as plans for styrene sheets. I have done this to many of these books including page 102 and 106 in Jan 04 edition of MR.
                    Break.. Congratulations to the group for gaining 1,000 and soon 1,100 !!
                    Fred

                    A Casey Jones, 81419 would certainly fit the Old West look, more
                    than anything else -- though these are not cheap, and potentially
                    difficult to find. Yup!

                    > A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
                    > B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
                    > C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
                    > D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
                    > E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal
                    mining/logging
                    > camp theme?
                    > Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
                    > Roy

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • pat_lawless
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 30, 2003
                      Roy wrote:
                      >From: "roy_corrigan" <rsc@...>
                      >Subject: Newbie

                      >Hi, y'all. I'm finally in my third 'childhood', and I feel the need
                      >to progress from HO to Z-guage. I've been perusing a lot of items in
                      >the Marklin brand. Now, I KNOW I probably should (and will, sooner
                      >or later) check the archives, but does anyone have any sage and
                      >immediate advice for someone who:
                      >A. Has 2 1/2' by 4' of blank tabletop space to fill
                      >B. Has a PC available for a lot of the 'grunt' work
                      >C. Is on a budget (naturally...aren't we all?)
                      >D. Is willing to take his sweet ol' time, and
                      >E. Is really interested in a mountainous old West/coal
                      >mining/logging
                      >camp theme?

                      Hi Roy! Microfigs has a mine complex that they recently released.
                      Their web site is at http://www.microfigs.com Good luck!

                      Pat Lawless

                      >Thanks a million for any advice I can garner from you!
                      >Roy
                    • jeffery_kincaid
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 8, 2004
                        Greetings,

                        My name is Jeff Kincaid and I stumbled onto Z scale while on my way
                        to Nn3! I had set up some track to run an Nn3 engine I bought. It
                        along with it's replacement had motor problems requiring their
                        return. As it will be some months before the problem with these
                        engines are fixed I faced with cooling my modeling jets.

                        So on sheer impulse I bought the Marklin CB&Q freight set. It runs
                        like a charm and I am really enjoying it. I am begining to build a
                        small layout representing the double track mainline between Lincoln
                        and Omaha in the early 1950's.

                        I recently saw a Marklin Burlington Zephyr go on Ebay. It was a 3
                        car set. Is that the only Zephyr set Marklin made?

                        MTL had an SP mogul that looked like it could be converted to a CB&Q
                        Prairie type. What is the general opinion of that particular engine?

                        I have an article off of the net that provides directions on
                        converting Marklin cars to MTL couplers and moving the trucks closer
                        to the ends. The writer recommends milling new bolters on a milling
                        machine. Are there any alternative methods for this type of
                        conversion? I would like to convert the tender and caboose to MTL
                        couplers without buying and learning how to operate a milling machine!

                        I have been following the list and reading the archives and tips
                        sections. I plan on incorporating several of these ideas into my
                        layout. The idea of using a soda straw for electric wires is
                        brilliant. I am very impressed with the information and the high
                        level of energy this group has.

                        I will thank all of you who respond to my questions in advance. I am
                        looking forward to doing more in Z scale and participating in the
                        group.

                        Thanks

                        Jeff
                      • gumone@piasanet.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 9, 2004
                          > Greetings,
                          >
                          > My name is Jeff Kincaid and I stumbled onto Z scale while on my
                          > way
                          > to Nn3!
                          > I recently saw a Marklin Burlington Zephyr go on Ebay. It was a 3
                          > car set. Is that the only Zephyr set Marklin made?
                          >
                          > MTL had an SP mogul that looked like it could be converted to a
                          > CB&Q
                          > Prairie type. What is the general opinion of that particular engine?
                          Jeff,
                          Welcome to the wonderful world of Z! I recently purchased Marklin's Burlington California Zephyr via Ebay (one of them at least, they come up every so often). It is the only Zephyr they produced and it's a beauty. However, a Pioneer Zephyr would really take the prize!!
                          I have only gotten to see the MTL SP Mogul (actually got to hold it!) at a recent train show put on my a local club. It wasn't being run, but it's owner told me that it is actually set on a Marklin chassis. I cannot attest to that but that was his claim. So, my input here is only to affirm that it exists and is relatively rare.
                          Keep on Z-ing!
                          Bruce E. Baumberger
                          MidweZt HaulerZ, Car C
                          Owner/Operator, The Bumbling BLine, "Where the shortest distance between two points isn't"
                        • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 9, 2004
                            >MTL had an SP mogul that looked like it could be converted to a CB&Q
                            >Prairie type. What is the general opinion of that particular engine?

                            Super little guy. Basically a Maerklin 060 chassis with the nice brass
                            body and leading truck. I love mine. Always looking for a deal on one of
                            those...They are going for ~350.

                          • Lynette S. Losey
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 1, 2007
                              Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                              appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                              loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                              and a minature teddy bear artist.

                              Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}

                              Lynette
                            • John Duino
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 1, 2007
                                Welcome to the Z and the group! Your addiction has just begun...and I
                                can hardly wait to see a Z-scale brown bear ambling through a picnic
                                area...

                                John

                                On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 21:07 +0000, Lynette S. Losey wrote:
                                > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                >
                                > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                >
                                > Lynette

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Reynard Wellman
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 1, 2007
                                  Welcome Lynette,
                                  This a fairly considerate group which has enough
                                  members so that any questions or contributions you
                                  might have should be responded to with our best
                                  ideas and comments. I like bears too, in fact I
                                  included a Z scale, big Kodiak bear in one of my
                                  kits. Not exactly a youngster's nap time companion,
                                  like a nice plush teddy, but a bear none-the-less.

                                  Best regardZ,
                                  Reynard

                                  On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Lynette S. Losey wrote:

                                  > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                  > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                  > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                  > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                  >
                                  > Lynette

                                • bearlover
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 2, 2007
                                    Thank you John!!

                                    John Duino <jduino@...> wrote: Welcome to the Z and the group! Your addiction has just begun...and I
                                    can hardly wait to see a Z-scale brown bear ambling through a picnic
                                    area...

                                    John

                                    On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 21:07 +0000, Lynette S. Losey wrote:
                                    > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                    > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                    > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                    > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                    >
                                    > Lynette

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • bearlover
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 2, 2007
                                      Thanks Reynard! Bears fit in anywhere it seems! Lynette

                                      Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote: Welcome Lynette,
                                      This a fairly considerate group which has enough
                                      members so that any questions or contributions you
                                      might have should be responded to with our best
                                      ideas and comments. I like bears too, in fact I
                                      included a Z scale, big Kodiak bear in one of my
                                      kits. Not exactly a youngster's nap time companion,
                                      like a nice plush teddy, but a bear none-the-less.

                                      Best regardZ,
                                      Reynard

                                      On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Lynette S. Losey wrote:

                                      > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                      > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                      > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                      > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                      >
                                      > Lynette

                                    • Kez
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 2, 2007
                                        A warm welcome and Happy New Year to you, Lynette.

                                        We hope that you enjoy your stay, and that you learn a lot, and share all of
                                        your Z journeys with us!

                                        Your skill with miniatures will suit you well, and we look forward to seeing
                                        your efforts.

                                        Best regards,
                                        Bryan Keyser
                                        Vienna, VA
                                        DC Z_Bend Track

                                        > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                        > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                        > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                        > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                        >
                                        > Lynette
                                      • bearlover

                                          > Hello to all! It took me awhile to get here but I am thrilled. I
                                          > appreciate all I will learn and see and hear here as I have always
                                          > loved trains but z-scale is relatively new to me! I am a miniturist
                                          > and a minature teddy bear artist.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks to Rob for giving me the link to this group {several moons ago}
                                          >
                                          > Lynette

                                        • Melissa Cull
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 3, 2007
                                            Hello Lynette,

                                            Great to see another lady modeller. If you can do Z scale teddy bears that
                                            would be fabulous. Teddies are great in any size though:-)

                                            Kind RegardZ

                                            Melissa Cull
                                            UK

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 4, 2007
                                                Hi Lynette,

                                                Well Z-Scale is the ideal scale for people that say "I don't do big!"....
                                                I've not seen a Z Scale mini yet.

                                                I'm trying to create Z scale German food for my Bavarian Mountain Food
                                                themed layout as well as a giant illuminated advertising Wurst / sausage for
                                                the sausage factory.

                                                Kind RegardZ

                                                Melissa
                                                UK

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 14, 2012
                                                  Hey Folks!

                                                  Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.

                                                  I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?

                                                  I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.

                                                  Eric
                                                • mark2playz
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 14, 2012
                                                    Eric,
                                                    Welcome to Z scale. I've been using the MTL turnouts for a while and other than cleaning up some rough edges on newly purchased units and keeping crud out of them, I haven't had any problems. If the isssue is with specific cars, you might want to check the wheel gauge.
                                                    You can use the Rokuhan track with MTL if you don't use the roadbed joiners. You might want to check out the links on the Peco thread for more details on the tracks.

                                                    Mark

                                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hey Folks!
                                                    >
                                                    > Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.
                                                    >
                                                    > I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?
                                                    >
                                                    > I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.
                                                    >
                                                    > Eric

                                                  • kevin
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 15, 2012
                                                      Hi Eric

                                                      Members of my club have seen the same proble with MTL track. They have change switches to solve the problem.

                                                      I have do not have this problem with the Marklin Track.

                                                      My lay out is a group of Z Bend Track Models and I like switches alot, one of my 3 x3 moduleu has 19 switch on it.

                                                      I have used Marklin Track with MTL Flex for over ten years now and have never had a prblem with a Marklin switches. Yes there are expensive but when you start repaceing switches the MTL track add up to be more. Your getting what you pay for

                                                      Everyone in Z Scale in America ran to the MTL track and switches and their seems to be problems and now the fad is to run Rokuhan.

                                                      I say before telling people to use this track we should see it in use for Ten years.

                                                      Kevin

                                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hey Folks!
                                                      >
                                                      > Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.
                                                      >
                                                      > I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?
                                                      >
                                                      > I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.
                                                      >
                                                      > Eric

                                                    • mark2playz
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 15, 2012
                                                        Eric,
                                                        Out of curiosity can anyone answer Jeff's question about the switches or has anyone in your club opened a switch to determine why its loose or returned it to the factory? Its hard for MTL to fix something if they don't it broken.
                                                        Remember Intel shipped a million Pentium processors before they realized it couldn't multiply right and nearly nobody noticed.

                                                        Mark

                                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <kd79ctls@...> wrote:

                                                        > Hi Eric
                                                        >
                                                        > Members of my club have seen the same proble with MTL track. They have change switches to solve the problem.
                                                        >
                                                        > I have do not have this problem with the Marklin Track.
                                                        >
                                                        > My lay out is a group of Z Bend Track Models and I like switches alot, one of my 3 x3 moduleu has 19 switch on it.
                                                        >

                                                        > I have used Marklin Track with MTL Flex for over ten years now and have never had a prblem with a Marklin switches. Yes there are expensive but when you start repaceing switches the MTL track add up to be more. Your getting what you pay for
                                                        >
                                                        > Everyone in Z Scale in America ran to the MTL track and switches and their seems to be problems and now the fad is to run Rokuhan.
                                                        >
                                                        > I say before telling people to use this track we should see it in use for Ten years.
                                                        >

                                                        > Kevin
                                                        >

                                                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "proverbs30789" <proverbs30789@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Hey Folks!
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Starting out with Z scale from N scale. I have mostly Micro-Train track that I got for a song. I am having difficulty with the frogs in the turnouts. They do not seem to hold their position well and seem loose. Anyone have success with altering or adjusting these before? I am getting consistant derailments from several of the cars.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I saw Rokuhan track. Is it compatible with Micro-Train track?
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I have two Marklin "Pacifics" and a Micro-train GP-35. Trying to create a Minneapolis to Seattle layout with GN, NP, CB&Q and BN. Not a big prototype guy.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Eric

                                                      • Jeff
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 16, 2012
                                                          Are the derailments are in one or both directions?

                                                          Random cars / locos or all?

                                                          Have you manually 'slid' them thru the turnout to determine is it the points or the frog area?

                                                          Are you trying to run thru an 'incorrectly' positioned points ? You can on märklin but mostly only with metal wheels. You cannot with the MTL turnouts.

                                                          Jeff M
                                                          SF Bay Area Z