More good publicity for Z scale (in the U.K. this time)

  • bill.foote
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Over the weekend just passed, Gaugemaster, the U.K. agent for Marklin, Trix,
      Faller, Preiser, Noch and a good few other mainland European brands, held
      their "once every two years" open weekend, which consists of a mini trade
      fair and exhibition

      There were 17 running layouts as follows:-

      Z scale - 6 (5 conventional layouts, plus a model of a leisure park scaled
      at 1:30.5 which used Z scale trackwork and locos to represent a 7.5" gauge
      miniature railway)

      N scale - 5

      H0 scale - 2

      H0e scale - 1

      Gauge 1 - 1

      G scale - 2

      The show was predominately Marklin/Trix (with Faller and Noch also
      specifically represented), but the U.K. Fleischmann agent, whose base is not
      very far from the Gaugemaster headquarters, also took part contributing one
      of each of the H0 and N layouts
    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        This is wonderful, Bill. Five "Z" layouts! Did they belong to
        individual modellers or were they part of the Gaugemaster
        collection?

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bill.foote" <bill.foote@v...>
        wrote:
        > Over the weekend just passed, Gaugemaster, the U.K. agent
        for Marklin, Trix,
        > Faller, Preiser, Noch and a good few other mainland European
        brands, held
        > their "once every two years" open weekend, which consists of a
        mini trade
        > fair and exhibition
        >
        > Z scale - 6 (5 conventional layouts, plus a model of a leisure
        park scaled
        > at 1:30.5 which used Z scale trackwork and locos to represent
        a 7.5" gauge
        > miniature railway)
      • bill.foote
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
          Just realised that there were 6 + 1, not 5 + 1, as one was not listed in the
          exhibition plan!

          One "(Göppingen) Factory" layout, the rest from clubs and individuals - the
          two club layouts were as big as the factory one and really showed the
          potential of Z

          > This is wonderful, Bill. Five "Z" layouts! Did they belong to
          > individual modellers or were they part of the Gaugemaster
          > collection?
        • Graham Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
            Hi All

            Not quite right as to two club layouts, One was Pete McConnels Fantizie an end to end operated by members of Oxford MRC and the other one was my Hoen Noch Stiene a round and round watching the trains go by some as long as 32 beer van specials and it was a right pain all weekend but still it was fun

            Cheers

            Graham
            ZClub(GB)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • bill.foote
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
              Sorry about that

              FWIIW, your layout did not give the impression of being a "right pain" when
              I saw it (several times) on Sunday, and the 32 Beer Van train was indeed a
              wonderful example of what can be achieved in a relatively small space, and a
              credit to the hauling capabilities of MiniClub locos

              (Before somebody shouts:- Yes, I am sure that an H0 Krok or 2-6-8-0 Borsig
              could also haul 32 H0 Beer Vans with ease, but the space needed for a layout
              that would allow this would be beyond that available to most modellers)

              I think that one of the reasons why Z gauge excels so well is that those who
              chose to run it realize that they have to be careful with their track laying
              and cannot take liberties, whereas modellers in larger scales, although
              understanding the need for careful tack laying, tend to "push their luck" at
              times, and appear to get away with it _most_ of the time

              Anyhow, thanks for providing a first class, and most enjoyable example, of Z
              modelling at its best

              Bill