Re: Rogue GP38 shell

  • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2000
      If anyone sees a shell from a GP38 by Rogue I would like to know I have a chassis that has no shell.

      TIA
      Garth

      At 10:55 AM 07/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:

      >Well, due to a chance sight of Rogue GP38-2 shells on eBay (I saw
      >them too late to report it to the list),
    • Dave Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
        Dan
        I also have ordered 2 MTL B-units with a view to painting them and a couple
        of A-units that I have. They (hopefuly) will be finished in BN colors.
        Could you share your painting techniques with us. I.E. Did you paint over
        the top of the factory paint? Did you do any preperation on the shells
        before you painted them and what brand/type of paint did you use?

        Thanks

        Dave Jones

        I also ordered one of the new Microtrains B-units and all I have to say is
        "sweet". These B-Units are really nice units and the paint is clean and
        thinly applied. Promptly after I got this unit I went on a painting spree,
        both A's and the B are now painted in LP&W Red and Yellow.
        Regards,
        Dan MacKellar

        Great brand name shoes at Zappos.com.
        Click Here!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/7060/2/_/560875/_/964536946/

        Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.
      • Dan MacKellar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
          For the B-unit, I painted over the factory paint, but if I were to do it
          again, I'd strip the decal stripes off first (the logo was to be covered
          with red so I wasn't worried too much). For paint I used Badger
          Model Flex Acrylics, I prefer them over the enamals (and they're
          much easier to clean off if your first paint job goes on badly, just
          take the unit and rinse it with water, allow to dry and repaint.

          I used a cheap Badger airbrush to paint the locos. I need to do
          some touch-up on the nose stripes, but otherwise it went good.

          Hope this helps,
          Regards,
          Dan MacKellar
          >I also have ordered 2 MTL B-units with a view to painting them and a couple
          >of A-units that I have. They (hopefuly) will be finished in BN colors.
          >Could you share your painting techniques with us. I.E. Did you paint over
          >the top of the factory paint? Did you do any preperation on the shells
          >before you painted them and what brand/type of paint did you use?
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Dave Jones
          >

          >I also ordered one of the new Microtrains B-units and all I have to say is
          >"sweet". These B-Units are really nice units and the paint is clean and
          >thinly applied. Promptly after I got this unit I went on a painting spree,
          >both A's and the B are now painted in LP&W Red and Yellow.
          >Regards,
          >Dan MacKellar

          >Great brand name shoes at Zappos.com.
          >Click Here!
          >
          >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.
          >

          >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

        • jjabour
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
            Dan
            What would you remove the decals with?
            I have some ELO Easy Lift Off by Polly S but I'm afraid to use
            it on something valuable until I hear if anyone else has
            had success with it.
            John

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
              Actually, I use a really inexpensive stripper...Isopropryl (rubbing)
              Alcohol and a cotton swab or old toothbrush. Just soak the shell
              overnight in the alcohol, then scrub. took me two tries to get the
              paint off my WP F's. I've also heard of some modelers having
              success with Pine-Sol but I've yet to try it.

              The Cotton Swap works great for taking off DEcals, just wet it,
              scrub and then use a dry one on it. Repeat if necessary.

              Hope this helps,
              Regards,
              Dan MacKellar