Re: removing joiners from Märklin switches (turnouts)

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 1999
      Hi Ole,

      I believe that you have received many good answers concerning the flex track
      issue. However, I think that the list has just missed answering your
      question about "how" to remove the joiner without damaging or destroying the
      turnout in the process.

      Although hard to see, the M�rklin joiner is held in place by a small
      indentation in the rail base which is deftly hidden by the first spike head
      on the first sleeper. Removal requires that you gently pry the joiner away
      from both sides of the rail at the first tie so that the metal of the joiner
      clears the hole in the rail base. Clear as a bell, right?

      You can use a pair of cutters with the blades inserted inside the length of
      the joiner to gently pull the joiner off the rail. This is for those who
      wish to save the joiner. I'm of Scottish heritage so I reuse everything!

      As for cutting rails, I have traditionally used a razor saw to cut the rail,
      an Exacto to chop through the sleepers as Bill Kronenberger has explained
      followed by a long process of filing with a flat jeweler's file to take off
      the burrs and to narrow the rail base in order to facilitate insertion of
      the new Peco rail joiner. (I also use M�rklin joiners with no problem
      although they are very tight and I sometimes pry them open with the point of
      a fine jeweler's screw driver blade.)

      More recently, I have found that using Rail Nipper flush cutters for rail do
      a very good job of making the cut in the rail. There is less cleanup filing
      but one still has to narrow the rail base to get the new joiner on.

      Welcome to the group and happy modeling.

      Jeffrey
      CEO Val Ease Central RR