Re: layout and rail questions

  • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
      From Wolfgang (Bolt) <<wbolt1809@...>>

      Some suggestions to Jacob's questions:

      Although I do not have a real layout - shame on me, I know ! - planning it
      more and more sophisticated.....keeps me away from tranferring it into
      reality......

      No doubt at all: MT locos have originally by far better traction qualities !
      But what, if you prefer "Europeans" ??! Without any modification, it's better
      to have no grades of just those up to 2-3% - this is commonly agreed and
      experienced for a long time.

      Putting on weight - lead for example - is surely a remedy, but not always and
      on all types of locos applicable, space........- perhaps you followed the
      discussion just 2 weeks ago on the mailing list of the "Z-Club-92" .....

      When I suggested to try traction tires on Diesels and E-locos, like used in
      H0, I was confronted with the arguments: Improving traction ability versus
      lack of contact for taking up electricity and possibly higher danger of
      derailing on turn-outs.

      I did it all the same ! What I had seen already before on demonstrations,
      turned into reality: My "Heizer-Loco" (a series "460" from the Siwss
      Railways, one out of the double loco-pack "88445") had no problem at all to
      "climb" a grade of more than 30%......the following one must see or
      experience oneself: A Diesel - BR 218, catalogue nb "8880".....made its way
      "uphill"....on a grade of 45� (in words: degrees !) - which is, give me some
      time to calculate......a grade of 58%.........(difference in height was 25
      cm, ....."length" of track run......:43cm......) - As everyone can easily
      understand, testing how many cars my loco would pull easily on a grade of
      let's say 4%, is up to now really impossible........what I try out now on a
      grade of 6,9% - you should see me right now, looking for kinds of weights to
      put on a flat - "8610" car (6 gramms) !!! - I decided for a "Zippo"......60
      gramms......and my loco nearly wanted to take off like a Jumbo Jet.......A
      normal German reefer weighs 5-7 gramms...... - next try: grade 3,5%, same
      loco, 2 cars to put weight in/on.....I stopped my trials, after the loco
      managed to move "uphill" with a total of a little bit more than 400 gramms
      behind.....

      I am pretty sure that just 1 or 2, but "heavy" car(s) is not the same as 179
      (?) simple cars and that curves, turnouts and different radii have certainly
      influence on the traction "capacity" !!!

      Above all - it was great fun to do all this - perhaps you can imagine.... -
      Oh yes, the price for 2 axles modified, including shipment in Germany, is not
      more than DM 30...

      Due to the linkage (please let me have the right expression, US-folks !),
      traction tires are not yet available for steamers.

      Perhaps, somebody has an idea, how to do this more easily without having to
      dismount the "linkage" from the driving wheels of steamers - maybe some kind
      of liquid rubber to be put on by a brush ?????

      Years ago, at the time, the "Z-Club-International" still merited the name
      "Club"....- there was sb, who built a "Bergbahn", very interesting project
      and very well realized ! But this was without a cog-bar/cog-wheel, I think
      the cars were moved by strings. Nowadays, the company "Railex" introduced
      something similar even in "N" and "H0".

      Thanks for the information about the poor flexibility of the M�rklin type !
      Can anybody help me where in Europe to purchase the Peco flex track ?

      ....I enjoyed this afternoon and writing this email !

      Wolfgang
    • Jacob Munkhammar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
        Thank you all for exhaustive accounts on the maximum climbing grade issue.
        The reason why I ask is that I am planning a very compact, multilevel
        layout where almost all visible track is flat, while it is shifting levels
        in hidden tunnels.
        As I want the layout to be as compact as possible, and those mountains and
        other hidden areas - especially at the ends of the layout - as small as
        possible, I of course want the trains to climb to another level in an as
        small area as possible. An as narrow helix as possible seemed the obvious
        choise.

        And, consequently, speed decrease is no problem, the trains are not visible.

        There is another issue here, though. Starting up-hill. I guess, at the
        grades I am discussing, this is impossible with stock locos.
        I will also park trains in those hidden areas. Better keep those parking
        areas flat or down-hill, I suspect....

        This rubber thing on a pair of wheels is interesting. Who make and sell those?

        /Jacob
      • Frans van Cuilenborg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
          Snip, snip, snip......

          There was a lot of good things said in this mail but I do not quite agree
          about the flex M�rklin type track.
          I have used it a lot but you have to cut the underside of the track on the
          "outside" of the radia. Then it will bend easy. The advantage is that you
          can make a very nice stransfer from straight to circular by keeping a part
          fixed as it is and then cut where it bends.
          The cutting is done between the sleepers on the outside of the radia.

          Frans