Re: [z_scale] Help Please

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
      There have been posts on this forum in the past about electromagnetic
      uncouplers for the MT couplers. You might try checking the archives. The
      electromagnets would definately cut down on accidental decoupling. Good luck on your
      quest.
      Dan S.

      In a message dated 8/3/2003 2:31:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      ehayes24@... writes:

      > if you are using micro-trains couplers, you don`t need electric uncouplers,
      >
      > just magnets
      >

      > >From: "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@...>
      > >To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: [z_scale] Help Please
      > >Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:47:11 +0100
      > >
      > >Hi everybod
      > >
      > >I am a long time Z head but just getting into using Microtrain couplers on
      > >a few trains with great results
      > >Now the Question
      > >Does anybody know of a producer of electric uncouplers suitable for
      > >Microtrain couplings Please
      > >
      > >Graham
      > >ZClub(GB)

    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
        --- "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@h...> wrote:
        > if you are using micro-trains couplers, you don`t need electric
        uncouplers,
        > just magnets
        >

        > >From: "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@f...>
        > >I am a long time Z head but just getting into using Microtrain
        couplers
        >Does anybody know of a producer of electric uncouplers suitable for
        > >Microtrain couplings Please

        Watch for an article on home-made handheld magnetic uncoupling tools
        for MT couplers in the next Ztrack.
      • Graham Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
          Hi All

          Thanks for the comments but the reason for wanting electric uncouplers is on the new layout I have a three road single ended coal yard and I will be shunting 18-20 coal wagons in and out and if the couplings are static it can be a real pain coupling up and drawing the train back out
          over them

          Cheers

          Graham
          ZClub(GB)
          > if you are using micro-trains couplers, you don`t need electric
          uncouplers,
          > just magnets
          >

          > >From: "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@f...>
          > >I am a long time Z head but just getting into using Microtrain
          couplers
          >Does anybody know of a producer of electric uncouplers suitable for
          > >Microtrain couplings Please

          Watch for an article on home-made handheld magnetic uncoupling tools
          for MT couplers in the next Ztrack.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Nelson Snedeker
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2003
            Hi Graham: If you have access to the January / February 2003 , Ztrack
            magazine you will find on page 26 , an article I wrote explaining how to
            make your own magnetic uncouplers . I originally made mine to uncouple
            Marklin cars but discovered that without any modification they work
            Magnamatic couplers equally well . Unless prices have changed , the
            Power Trans . is $4.50 + S/H . The magnets are 4 for $20 and the
            sources are provided in the article.
            Happy "Z" ing Nel

            Graham Jones wrote:

            > Hi All
            >
            > Thanks for the comments but the reason for wanting electric uncouplers
            > is on the new layout I have a three road single ended coal yard and I
            > will be shunting 18-20 coal wagons in and out and if the couplings are
            > static it can be a real pain coupling up and drawing the train back out
            > over them
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Graham
            > ZClub(GB)

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
              --- Graham Jones <zclubgb@...> a écrit :
              > Hi everybod
              >
              > I am a long time Z head but just getting into using
              > Microtrain couplers on a few trains with great
              > results
              > Now the Question
              > Does anybody know of a producer of electric
              > uncouplers suitable for Microtrain couplings Please
              >
              > Graham
              > ZClub(GB)

              Graham, Micro-Trains releases magnetic uncouplers to
              be inserted in a fence under the tracks at the
              location you choose for uncoupling. But this device is
              according to my experience not 100% working. Several
              months ago Model-Railroader wrote an article showing
              how to increase magnetic uncouplers performance, for
              Kadee-style coulpers (the same than MT's). Roughly it
              consists in fitting an electromagnetic system
              underneath (I don't remember the builder) increasing
              the magnetic field while depressing a push-button
              allowing electric current.
              Hope this helps, cheers,
              Dominique

            • johnathancatt
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
                Hi gang,I love the lookz of thoze crozzing zignalz that Z TRack iz
                zelling but there iz no way I can afford 4 pair of them.I've been
                looking online trying to find a proto zite or even a hobby zite that
                haz the dimentionz for modern crozzing zignalz.I guezz I am juzt not
                uzing the proper zearch wordz,and now I am azking you if any of you
                have a link you can zhare with thiz information.

                Much thankz in advance for any help you can give.(all those Zs look
                silly don't they ;-)

                Johnathan (Catt) in West Michigan
              • Michael Hilliard
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
                  Hi Johnathan,

                  Try this: http://www.fabricatedmetals.com/Product.Cfm?PID=6%c2%a0

                  Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the drawings. Good luck.

                  Michael Hilliard
                  Wilton, CT USA

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
                    Try:
                    railroad crossing signal dimensions

                    The first hit out of 59,900 was:

                    http://www.erl.dot.state.ia.us/OCT_2008/RS/content_eng/rd6.pdf

                    ...don

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "johnathancatt" <johnathancatt@...>

                    wrote:

                    > Hi gang,I love the lookz of thoze crozzing zignalz that Z TRack iz
                    > zelling but there iz no way I can afford 4 pair of them.I've been
                    > looking online trying to find a proto zite or even a hobby zite that
                    > haz the dimentionz for modern crozzing zignalz.I guezz I am juzt not
                    > uzing the proper zearch wordz,and now I am azking you if any of you
                    > have a link you can zhare with thiz information.
                    >
                    > Much thankz in advance for any help you can give.(all those Zs look
                    > silly don't they ;-)
                    >
                    > Johnathan (Catt) in West Michigan

                  • M & J Piersdorff
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
                      Check out http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/How_To_Build_A_Crossbuck.pdf
                      for info on the crossbuck (R15-1)

                      Michael

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
                        Thanks guys you are a huge help.I was having no luck at all no matter
                        what I used for a search criteria.

                        Johnathan (Catt) in West Michigan

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "M & J Piersdorff" <countylovers@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Check out
                        http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/How_To_Build_A_Crossbuck.p
                        df
                        > for info on the crossbuck (R15-1)
                        >
                        > Michael

                        11/29/2008 6:52 PM

                        11/29/2008 6:52 PM

                      • Todd Shoffeitt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
                          Graham,

                          I am going through the same problems with uncouplers now as I am
                          building my layout. I bought four sets of the Micro-Trains 921
                          magnet uncouplers and they are junk, not enough magnetism to move the
                          couplers. I'm trying to revive them, but not having much luck.

                          I am trying something else, using neodyme slot car magnets, small bar
                          magnets, on either side of the track. My one installation using
                          these in my yard has worked pretty well. I have a picture of them in
                          Z Central Station. I'm going to try these on a couple of sidings to
                          see how they do, and I'll let you know. Micro-Trains or Kadee,
                          whoever, does make an electromagnetic uncoupler for N scale. It is
                          quite large, and you would have to have a big hole under your track
                          to install it, but a couple of people have tried them with some
                          modifications and they have worked.

                          Todd
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Jones" <zclubgb@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All
                          >
                          > Thanks for the comments but the reason for wanting electric
                          uncouplers is on the new layout I have a three road single ended coal
                          yard and I will be shunting 18-20 coal wagons in and out and if the
                          couplings are static it can be a real pain coupling up and drawing
                          the train back out
                          > over them
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Graham