Re: New poll for z_scale

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 74 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
      CAREFULLY noting
      > which axle came from what slot, and which wheel was on which side.
      DON'T play
      > mix-and-match or reverse the direction the gear runs in. Bad.
      Very, very
      > bad. There's a 80% chance that I will hear from you, if you mix up
      the axles or
      > their orientation.

      Hi Bill,

      I agree with you that anything taken apart should be put back
      together the same way for best results, but I'm curious - what
      exactly is so critical about the axles? Is it the gear mesh that
      holds the axle slightly away from topping out in the slots; are they
      supposed to ride in the tops instead of the sides of the slots? Or
      do they bind if incorrect gear mesh presses them tightly to the
      bottom of the sideframe? Or is it a set in the gear teeth from long
      use?

      > When you put the axles back in the cups, put a drop of Atlas
      Conductalube on
      > each axle as it sits in the cup, and wiggle the axle back for forth
      to work it
      > in. Put the sideframes back on. Do not lubricate the axles or
      cups with
      > oils. The Conductalube acts as the only lubricant you need. 1/8th
      of a drop of
      > your favorite oil can go on the gears at this point. Done.

      Never tried Conductalube, never even heard of it till you mentioned
      it (thanks - always something new to learn!). The Atlas website
      doesn't say much about its characteristics. What is it's resistance
      in a thin layer? How often does this need to be done? Does the
      Conductalube dry out, wear off, or collect dirt and lose
      conductivity? Is it thick enough to bridge the gap between axle and
      slot when the wheel rides a low point on the track? And finally -
      any idea why MT doesn't put it in at the factory?

      Regards,
      Glen
    • Jeff
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 1, 2015
        This is a general business marketing poll. It will be a typical cost like you have been paying.

        Jeff M
        SF Bay Area Z

        On Jul 1, 2015, at 7:18 AM, Lee Barry z_scale2@... [z_scale] <z_scale@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Portion, large, of my decision would be what roads would made. Those of us in the eastern part of the US to be all western railroads. I have voiced my feelings concerning the making of road switchers before. Those of us with small radius curved layouts need to have engines which not only look good, unlike the "wide cabs and the SD 40-2s" goping thru our curves and exiting our tunnels. Lee Barry, CEO/CFO LZPMRR