Re: [z_scale] More thoughts on Z-scale Hood Units

  • Lawrence L. Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 1969
      Manfred,

      Please email me your personal address. Thanks.

      LArry

      ----------

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
        In a message dated 7/10/00 1:18:32 AM, sutfin@... writes:

        >Has anyone heard anything about the Dash9s that Rogue was working on??

        It is coming… That is all I can say.

        Rob Kluz
        Ztrack Magazine
      • M. Gottschalch

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
            Well, since you guys are so determined to build some decent Z scale diesels, I'll
            chime in with some info for you. You can have gears built for you by American
            Precision Gear Co. Inc.Phone #650-595-3664, Fax #650-595-0388. If you are using
            Micro-Mo, they have some great 8mm motors with 16/1 ratio gear boxes on them. We
            plan to build some steam locos next year for both Z and N scale, but don't get
            too excited, it's going to take some time and some capital to bring these out for
            the retai market.

            Good luck guys!
            Reynard Wellman, DBA Micron Art
            http://www.micronart.com

            "D. A. Karp" wrote:

            > I contacted Micro-Mo (www.micromo.com) a few weeks ago about getting the
            > 8mm faulhaber motors, and they'll sell them for about $50.00 apiece if one
            > buys five or so. Greater quantities could mean even lower prices.
            >
            > You're right about the trucks, although I hate plastic gears. Anyone know
            > where to get small metal gears?
            >
            > The frame would have to be built from scratch, due to the narrow body
            > (~10mm). The Rogue design is pretty good - simple, heavy, and tough.
            >
            > At 07:41 PM 7/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
            > >That's a good start, but I wouldn't use Marklin trucks. All of them that I've
            > >seen are too long to be in scale. For a GP, I'd go with MicoTrain trucks.
            > >Plus, the SD40-2 used a truck frame that Marklin doesn't make.
            > >
            > >As for the shell, etched brass is probably the easiest to build, since you
            > >can use scale drawings for the etchings. Still, it might be possible to do
            > >the same thing in plastic, which would be much cheaper.
            > >
            > >Kit form might be the way to go. I priced the components at one point,
            > >and the gears, trucks, and shells would be cheap to produce, once the
            > >masters were cut. The motors would be the expensive parts, and accounted
            > >for nearly all of the $90-100 cost per unit. That dictates a retail price in
            > >the $250 range. If we can get the cost down to around $50-75 per unit,
            > >we could sell them for $150 or so. If we went with kits, we'd save the
            > >cost of assembly, but we'd lose the chance to test each unit.
            > >

            > >Scott Whitmire
            > >whitmire@...
            >
            > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            > D. A. Karp
            > subscribe@...
            > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

            > Find long lost high school friends:
            >
            > Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.
          • Dan MacKellar
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
              Thanks for the info Don

              Well, my friend owns his own resin casting business (Sylvan Scale Models)
              Like I said, I'll look into getting prices. Currently, he only does N and
              HO kits, but he expressed interest in Z scale shells if I could get the
              patterns. Perhaps one of our brass people can help in this regard? I'd be
              interested in even doing dummies as long as they can be powered at a future
              date. As far as a modern GP goes, might I suggest the GP35 due to the flat
              roofline. The vote seems to be set for a GP7/9, Modern GP and a SW7/1200.

              Doing an etched brass master would be the first order of business, and
              exactly how detailed would we want it? Rivets are almost out of the
              question, but hood doors could be cast in. I'm seriously interested in
              doing this, as are a number of others. I'll get back to the group with
              quotes on shell prices tonight.

              Regards,
              Dan MacKellar

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                Dan
                I think you want the detail to be close to the quality of the Rogue GP38
                (which by the way is excellent)
                John
                >Well, my friend owns his own resin casting business (Sylvan Scale Models)
                >Like I said, I'll look into getting prices. Currently, he only does N and
                >HO kits, but he expressed interest in Z scale shells if I could get the
                >patterns. Perhaps one of our brass people can help in this regard? I'd be
                >interested in even doing dummies as long as they can be powered at a future
                >date. As far as a modern GP goes, might I suggest the GP35 due to the flat
                >roofline. The vote seems to be set for a GP7/9, Modern GP and a SW7/1200.
                >
                >Doing an etched brass master would be the first order of business, and
                >exactly how detailed would we want it? Rivets are almost out of the
                >question, but hood doors could be cast in. I'm seriously interested in
                >doing this, as are a number of others. I'll get back to the group with
                >quotes on shell prices tonight.
                >
                >Regards,
                >Dan MacKellar

              • Scott A. Whitmire
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                  At 7/9/00 08:06 PM , you wrote:
                  >I contacted Micro-Mo (www.micromo.com) a few weeks ago about getting the
                  >8mm faulhaber motors, and they'll sell them for about $50.00 apiece if one
                  >buys five or so. Greater quantities could mean even lower prices.

                  They've come down. The prices I got were in the $70-90 range.

                  >You're right about the trucks, although I hate plastic gears. Anyone know
                  >where to get small metal gears?

                  NWSL's gears are delrin, except for their worms which are brass. You'll
                  find that is nearly universal in model railroading. The smallest size that
                  NWSL stocks is mod 0.3. I would prefer mod 0.2, and brass would be
                  better. Might be noisier, though.

                  >The frame would have to be built from scratch, due to the narrow body
                  >(~10mm). The Rogue design is pretty good - simple, heavy, and tough.

                  The biggest problem with the frame is getting enough mass to provide
                  the necessary tractive effort. Ideally, a Z scale loco would weigh almost
                  what an N scale loco weighs. They should have plenty of heft. The motor
                  provides enough power. The MT F7s are about the minimum weight. The
                  Marklins are way too light.

                  Enough weight could be the major challenge in an SW9/1200. The other
                  would be getting power to both trucks

                  Scott Whitmire
                  whitmire@...
                • Scott A. Whitmire
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                    At 7/10/00 09:50 AM , you wrote:
                    >Well, since you guys are so determined to build some decent Z scale
                    >diesels, I'll
                    >chime in with some info for you. You can have gears built for you by American
                    >Precision Gear Co. Inc.Phone #650-595-3664, Fax #650-595-0388. If you are
                    >using
                    >Micro-Mo, they have some great 8mm motors with 16/1 ratio gear boxes on
                    >them. We
                    >plan to build some steam locos next year for both Z and N scale, but don't get
                    >too excited, it's going to take some time and some capital to bring these
                    >out for
                    >the retai market.
                    >
                    >Good luck guys!
                    >Reynard Wellman, DBA Micron Art

                    Thank you! For both pieces of info.

                    The only drawback to the gear boxes from MicroMo is that they're only
                    on one end of the motor, and we want the flywheels to run at motor speed,
                    not axle speed. I know we can get 27:1 and 30:1 reductions in the truck
                    towers, so space isn't a problem. It's much easier with mod 0.2 gears, but
                    my initial designs were with mod 0.3 gears since they can be had off the
                    shelf.

                    Scott Whitmire
                    whitmire@...
                  • Ed Scullin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                      Just a thought or two on powered units. A long time ago, there was a
                      HO scale Box car that was powered. I remember seeing a train of about
                      150 cars. Would it be possible to do this in Z (even if we used 50 foot
                      cars). That way the locomotives could be dummies.
                      I think that the way to go would be for the locos to be kits. Somebody
                      will figure out how to assemble them for a profit for those without the
                      skill necessary to build them theirself. Sort of like the Brass
                      building guys do.
                      I noticed the post from Reynard Wellman (Micron Art). Maybe we could
                      get them to do the shells in kit form. What would it take in advance
                      orders to get them to do the bodies? I'm sure that some of us would be
                      willing to place orders. Leave the truck/power and frame to us to work
                      out. Are you listening Renard?
                      Has anybody thought about contacting Bob Olsen at PennZee, the Hopper
                      cars he did have great detail.
                      Will be off the net for the rest of the month, going to the land of Z
                      and other places over there. See you next month.
                      Ed Scullin
                    • Scott A. Whitmire
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                        At 7/10/00 01:46 PM , you wrote:
                        >Thanks for the info Don
                        >
                        >Well, my friend owns his own resin casting business (Sylvan Scale Models)
                        >Like I said, I'll look into getting prices. Currently, he only does N and
                        >HO kits, but he expressed interest in Z scale shells if I could get the
                        >patterns. Perhaps one of our brass people can help in this regard? I'd be
                        >interested in even doing dummies as long as they can be powered at a future
                        >date. As far as a modern GP goes, might I suggest the GP35 due to the flat
                        >roofline. The vote seems to be set for a GP7/9, Modern GP and a SW7/1200.

                        Ok, I'll definitely work on the drive train design for GP and the SW. I'll
                        be able to use all three, even though I really don't like high nose locos.
                        I could use about 10 SWs and eight or 10 GP35s (or GP40s).

                        >Doing an etched brass master would be the first order of business, and
                        >exactly how detailed would we want it? Rivets are almost out of the
                        >question, but hood doors could be cast in. I'm seriously interested in
                        >doing this, as are a number of others. I'll get back to the group with
                        >quotes on shell prices tonight.

                        Cool. Thank you. The doors, latches, and hinges would be sufficient
                        detail. Rivets are certainly possible in etched brass. After all, they can
                        get photolithography down to the sub-micron level. What I would do is
                        start with some CAD drawings and use them as the masks for the brass
                        etchings. It should be fairly easy to create the etchings. The drawings
                        might be a simple matter of taking the HO scale drawings in the MR Diesel
                        Locomotives Cyclopedia and scaling them down to Z. I basically did that
                        with a copy machine (reduce them to 40% of original size, which comes
                        out to just over 1:220 -- 1:200 was about 39.7% IIRC).

                        If the etched brass pieces are used as masters for resin, then we
                        probably don't want them assembled. But that's a matter for the
                        experienced folks.