Re: [z_scale] More thoughts on Z-scale Hood Units

  • Lawrence L. Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 1969
      Manfred,

      Please email me your personal address. Thanks.

      LArry

      ----------
      > Hi Larry,
      >
      > Is there any way to look at and print the autocad files without autocad?
      >
      > I would like to build some oil tanks and buildings and the coaling
      > station. I have only tried buildings cut from paper so far, as well as
      > store bought plastic models. They all came out OK so I want to go on to
      > something a little more advanced.
      >
      > If you could send me the files, I would like to try building some for my
      > layout.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Manfred

      > Need a credit card?
      > Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!
      >
      > Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

    • Lawrence L. Smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31, 1969
        Hello everyone,

        Now that I'm on the uphill side from my unusually busy family life, I
        want to add my input for a new loco. I'll throw in all my autocad
        drawn drawings of a GE 80 ton switcher for use on this group
        switcher project. I did use my drawings to make a paper mockup
        in Z & N scales. These drawings could be refined to use for a
        brass etched version. The brass then could be used as a pattern
        for the casting/mold. The brass might be the better way to go as
        it would be thinner and stronger than the cast version. The detail
        may be a bit better depending on the type of molding & tooling
        used.

        I also have different varieties of oil/fuel tanks drawn up for
        use if anyone is interested. Buildings and a coaling tower
        also.

        I have Z & N scale versions drawn up for everything I've done
        in autocad 12. I'd just like the guys designing or manufacturing
        to email me and I'll email the files as zipped attachments to
        you for review and comment.

        This is what I have to pitch in currently towards our hobby. I
        have been designing molds 10 hrs a day for the past 5-6
        months and the last thing I want to do when I get home
        everyday is to do more drawing and design. When I've
        been working 8's for awhile then that's a different story.

        Thanks to everyone on this list for all their input and knowledge
        and any kind of Z related ads or product offerings. I wish I
        had more time to email the list....all good things come in time!

        Larry
        Meadville, PA

        -SNIP-

        > I never did like the GP7s and 9s. I don't really like high nose locos.
        >
        > I was thinking more along the lines of a GP30 or GP35.
        >
        > Although, and SD40-2 would be nice :-)
        >
        > Also, we MUST have an SW9/1200.
        >
        > Scott Whitmire
        > whitmire@...
      • Scott A. Whitmire
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 9, 2000
          At 7/9/00 10:06 PM , you wrote:
          >Dan:
          >
          >I'll buy in for a hundred dollars if you decide to do a GP 7/9 shell.
          >Please let me know what I can do to help. The Hobby needs more and
          >different
          >motive power to grow and survive. Just about every USA layout can use a
          >Geep.
          >Z scalers need a hood unit, now, badly......Especially since Rogue is out of
          >business.
          >
          >Heck, just do the shell, we (this list) will figure out a way to paint and
          >power it!!
          >
          >Rory Blake

          I never did like the GP7s and 9s. I don't really like high nose locos.

          I was thinking more along the lines of a GP30 or GP35.

          Although, and SD40-2 would be nice :-)

          Also, we MUST have an SW9/1200.

          Scott Whitmire
          whitmire@...
        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 9, 2000
            Hi all,

            I've been working on preliminary designs of a Z-scale SD40-2, with a shell
            probably made in etched brass. I have some Faulhaber motors, Marklin
            trucks, and some other stuff. Perhaps selling these in kit form would help
            keep the prices down. Any thoughts?

            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            D. A. Karp
            subscribe@...
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          • Scott A. Whitmire
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 9, 2000
              At 7/9/00 07:22 PM , you wrote:
              >Hi all,
              >
              >I've been working on preliminary designs of a Z-scale SD40-2, with a shell
              >probably made in etched brass. I have some Faulhaber motors, Marklin
              >trucks, and some other stuff. Perhaps selling these in kit form would help
              >keep the prices down. Any thoughts?
              >

              >=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
              >D. A. Karp

              That's a good start, but I wouldn't use Marklin trucks. All of them that I've
              seen are too long to be in scale. For a GP, I'd go with MicoTrain trucks.
              Plus, the SD40-2 used a truck frame that Marklin doesn't make.

              As for the shell, etched brass is probably the easiest to build, since you
              can use scale drawings for the etchings. Still, it might be possible to do
              the same thing in plastic, which would be much cheaper.

              Kit form might be the way to go. I priced the components at one point,
              and the gears, trucks, and shells would be cheap to produce, once the
              masters were cut. The motors would be the expensive parts, and accounted
              for nearly all of the $90-100 cost per unit. That dictates a retail price in
              the $250 range. If we can get the cost down to around $50-75 per unit,
              we could sell them for $150 or so. If we went with kits, we'd save the
              cost of assembly, but we'd lose the chance to test each unit.

              Scott Whitmire
              whitmire@...
            • D. A. Karp
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 9, 2000
                I contacted Micro-Mo (www.micromo.com) a few weeks ago about getting the
                8mm faulhaber motors, and they'll sell them for about $50.00 apiece if one
                buys five or so. Greater quantities could mean even lower prices.

                You're right about the trucks, although I hate plastic gears. Anyone know
                where to get small metal gears?

                The frame would have to be built from scratch, due to the narrow body
                (~10mm). The Rogue design is pretty good - simple, heavy, and tough.

                At 07:41 PM 7/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                >That's a good start, but I wouldn't use Marklin trucks. All of them that I've
                >seen are too long to be in scale. For a GP, I'd go with MicoTrain trucks.
                >Plus, the SD40-2 used a truck frame that Marklin doesn't make.
                >
                >As for the shell, etched brass is probably the easiest to build, since you
                >can use scale drawings for the etchings. Still, it might be possible to do
                >the same thing in plastic, which would be much cheaper.
                >
                >Kit form might be the way to go. I priced the components at one point,
                >and the gears, trucks, and shells would be cheap to produce, once the
                >masters were cut. The motors would be the expensive parts, and accounted
                >for nearly all of the $90-100 cost per unit. That dictates a retail price in
                >the $250 range. If we can get the cost down to around $50-75 per unit,
                >we could sell them for $150 or so. If we went with kits, we'd save the
                >cost of assembly, but we'd lose the chance to test each unit.
                >

                >Scott Whitmire
                >whitmire@...

                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                D. A. Karp
                subscribe@...
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
              • rpb@perigee.net

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 9, 2000
                    Dan,

                    Some great ideas and plans. Since I model the Lackawanna, gotta go with
                    the Trainmaster, but everyone needs several SW9/1200s. Actually, I'll be
                    happy with anything the group comes up with. Variety is what's needed to
                    really get Z off the ground, can only run so many F7s. That's what made
                    Rogue such a hit right off the bat. A hood unit, and ones that ran/run
                    beautifully.

                    Has anyone heard anything about the Dash9s that Rogue was working on??

                    Terry Sutfin
                  • dbouchard@uswestmail.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 9, 2000
                      Dan,
                      Resin might be the way to go "if you get a good master and someone who knows "a lot" about resin, I think you might want to discuss this with Rob Kluz, He knows a thing or two about resin casting and I'm sure he won't mind,(too much) that I dropped his name.
                      Also, You might be surprised at the cost of doing the bodies in brass as a kit, If you laid it out right I think you could get 4-5 locos per sheet and keep the cost reasonable, There are a couple of people on the list who do brass and hopefully they will throw some info your way.
                      I think its great you guys are working on this project, If there's anything I can do let me know.
                      I also would hope anyone with the skills needed to produce parts for loco's would come forward and help out, if only by providing info.
                      Respectfully,
                      Don

                      Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net
                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                        In a message dated 7/10/00 1:18:32 AM, sutfin@... writes:

                        >Has anyone heard anything about the Dash9s that Rogue was working on??

                        It is coming… That is all I can say.

                        Rob Kluz
                        Ztrack Magazine
                      • M. Gottschalch

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                            Well, since you guys are so determined to build some decent Z scale diesels, I'll
                            chime in with some info for you. You can have gears built for you by American
                            Precision Gear Co. Inc.Phone #650-595-3664, Fax #650-595-0388. If you are using
                            Micro-Mo, they have some great 8mm motors with 16/1 ratio gear boxes on them. We
                            plan to build some steam locos next year for both Z and N scale, but don't get
                            too excited, it's going to take some time and some capital to bring these out for
                            the retai market.

                            Good luck guys!
                            Reynard Wellman, DBA Micron Art
                            http://www.micronart.com

                            "D. A. Karp" wrote:

                            > I contacted Micro-Mo (www.micromo.com) a few weeks ago about getting the
                            > 8mm faulhaber motors, and they'll sell them for about $50.00 apiece if one
                            > buys five or so. Greater quantities could mean even lower prices.
                            >
                            > You're right about the trucks, although I hate plastic gears. Anyone know
                            > where to get small metal gears?
                            >
                            > The frame would have to be built from scratch, due to the narrow body
                            > (~10mm). The Rogue design is pretty good - simple, heavy, and tough.
                            >
                            > At 07:41 PM 7/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
                            > >That's a good start, but I wouldn't use Marklin trucks. All of them that I've
                            > >seen are too long to be in scale. For a GP, I'd go with MicoTrain trucks.
                            > >Plus, the SD40-2 used a truck frame that Marklin doesn't make.
                            > >
                            > >As for the shell, etched brass is probably the easiest to build, since you
                            > >can use scale drawings for the etchings. Still, it might be possible to do
                            > >the same thing in plastic, which would be much cheaper.
                            > >
                            > >Kit form might be the way to go. I priced the components at one point,
                            > >and the gears, trucks, and shells would be cheap to produce, once the
                            > >masters were cut. The motors would be the expensive parts, and accounted
                            > >for nearly all of the $90-100 cost per unit. That dictates a retail price in
                            > >the $250 range. If we can get the cost down to around $50-75 per unit,
                            > >we could sell them for $150 or so. If we went with kits, we'd save the
                            > >cost of assembly, but we'd lose the chance to test each unit.
                            > >

                            > >Scott Whitmire
                            > >whitmire@...
                            >
                            > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                            > D. A. Karp
                            > subscribe@...
                            > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                            > Find long lost high school friends:
                            >
                            > Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.
                          • Dan MacKellar
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                              Thanks for the info Don

                              Well, my friend owns his own resin casting business (Sylvan Scale Models)
                              Like I said, I'll look into getting prices. Currently, he only does N and
                              HO kits, but he expressed interest in Z scale shells if I could get the
                              patterns. Perhaps one of our brass people can help in this regard? I'd be
                              interested in even doing dummies as long as they can be powered at a future
                              date. As far as a modern GP goes, might I suggest the GP35 due to the flat
                              roofline. The vote seems to be set for a GP7/9, Modern GP and a SW7/1200.

                              Doing an etched brass master would be the first order of business, and
                              exactly how detailed would we want it? Rivets are almost out of the
                              question, but hood doors could be cast in. I'm seriously interested in
                              doing this, as are a number of others. I'll get back to the group with
                              quotes on shell prices tonight.

                              Regards,
                              Dan MacKellar

                              >Resin might be the way to go "if you get a good master and someone who
                              knows "a lot" about resin, I think you might want to discuss this with Rob
                              Kluz, He knows a thing or two about resin casting and I'm sure he won't
                              mind,(too much) that I dropped his name.
                              > Also, You might be surprised at the cost of doing the bodies in brass as
                              a kit, If you laid it out right I think you could get 4-5 locos per sheet
                              and keep the cost reasonable, There are a couple of people on the list who
                              do brass and hopefully they will throw some info your way.
                              >I think its great you guys are working on this project, If there's anything
                              I can do let me know.
                              >I also would hope anyone with the skills needed to produce parts for loco's
                              would come forward and help out, if only by providing info.
                              >Respectfully,
                              >Don
                              >

                              >Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net

                              >Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com:
                              >
                              >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

                            • jjabour
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                                Dan
                                I think you want the detail to be close to the quality of the Rogue GP38
                                (which by the way is excellent)
                                John

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                                  At 7/9/00 08:06 PM , you wrote:
                                  >I contacted Micro-Mo (www.micromo.com) a few weeks ago about getting the
                                  >8mm faulhaber motors, and they'll sell them for about $50.00 apiece if one
                                  >buys five or so. Greater quantities could mean even lower prices.

                                  They've come down. The prices I got were in the $70-90 range.

                                  >You're right about the trucks, although I hate plastic gears. Anyone know
                                  >where to get small metal gears?

                                  NWSL's gears are delrin, except for their worms which are brass. You'll
                                  find that is nearly universal in model railroading. The smallest size that
                                  NWSL stocks is mod 0.3. I would prefer mod 0.2, and brass would be
                                  better. Might be noisier, though.

                                  >The frame would have to be built from scratch, due to the narrow body
                                  >(~10mm). The Rogue design is pretty good - simple, heavy, and tough.

                                  The biggest problem with the frame is getting enough mass to provide
                                  the necessary tractive effort. Ideally, a Z scale loco would weigh almost
                                  what an N scale loco weighs. They should have plenty of heft. The motor
                                  provides enough power. The MT F7s are about the minimum weight. The
                                  Marklins are way too light.

                                  Enough weight could be the major challenge in an SW9/1200. The other
                                  would be getting power to both trucks

                                  Scott Whitmire
                                  whitmire@...
                                • Scott A. Whitmire
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                                    At 7/10/00 09:50 AM , you wrote:
                                    >Well, since you guys are so determined to build some decent Z scale
                                    >diesels, I'll
                                    >chime in with some info for you. You can have gears built for you by American
                                    >Precision Gear Co. Inc.Phone #650-595-3664, Fax #650-595-0388. If you are
                                    >using
                                    >Micro-Mo, they have some great 8mm motors with 16/1 ratio gear boxes on
                                    >them. We
                                    >plan to build some steam locos next year for both Z and N scale, but don't get
                                    >too excited, it's going to take some time and some capital to bring these
                                    >out for
                                    >the retai market.
                                    >
                                    >Good luck guys!
                                    >Reynard Wellman, DBA Micron Art

                                    Thank you! For both pieces of info.

                                    The only drawback to the gear boxes from MicroMo is that they're only
                                    on one end of the motor, and we want the flywheels to run at motor speed,
                                    not axle speed. I know we can get 27:1 and 30:1 reductions in the truck
                                    towers, so space isn't a problem. It's much easier with mod 0.2 gears, but
                                    my initial designs were with mod 0.3 gears since they can be had off the
                                    shelf.

                                    Scott Whitmire
                                    whitmire@...
                                  • Ed Scullin
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                                      Just a thought or two on powered units. A long time ago, there was a
                                      HO scale Box car that was powered. I remember seeing a train of about
                                      150 cars. Would it be possible to do this in Z (even if we used 50 foot
                                      cars). That way the locomotives could be dummies.
                                      I think that the way to go would be for the locos to be kits. Somebody
                                      will figure out how to assemble them for a profit for those without the
                                      skill necessary to build them theirself. Sort of like the Brass
                                      building guys do.
                                      I noticed the post from Reynard Wellman (Micron Art). Maybe we could
                                      get them to do the shells in kit form. What would it take in advance
                                      orders to get them to do the bodies? I'm sure that some of us would be
                                      willing to place orders. Leave the truck/power and frame to us to work
                                      out. Are you listening Renard?
                                      Has anybody thought about contacting Bob Olsen at PennZee, the Hopper
                                      cars he did have great detail.
                                      Will be off the net for the rest of the month, going to the land of Z
                                      and other places over there. See you next month.
                                      Ed Scullin
                                    • Scott A. Whitmire
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 10, 2000
                                        At 7/10/00 01:46 PM , you wrote:
                                        >Thanks for the info Don
                                        >
                                        >Well, my friend owns his own resin casting business (Sylvan Scale Models)
                                        >Like I said, I'll look into getting prices. Currently, he only does N and
                                        >HO kits, but he expressed interest in Z scale shells if I could get the
                                        >patterns. Perhaps one of our brass people can help in this regard? I'd be
                                        >interested in even doing dummies as long as they can be powered at a future
                                        >date. As far as a modern GP goes, might I suggest the GP35 due to the flat
                                        >roofline. The vote seems to be set for a GP7/9, Modern GP and a SW7/1200.

                                        Ok, I'll definitely work on the drive train design for GP and the SW. I'll
                                        be able to use all three, even though I really don't like high nose locos.
                                        I could use about 10 SWs and eight or 10 GP35s (or GP40s).

                                        >Doing an etched brass master would be the first order of business, and
                                        >exactly how detailed would we want it? Rivets are almost out of the
                                        >question, but hood doors could be cast in. I'm seriously interested in
                                        >doing this, as are a number of others. I'll get back to the group with
                                        >quotes on shell prices tonight.

                                        Cool. Thank you. The doors, latches, and hinges would be sufficient
                                        detail. Rivets are certainly possible in etched brass. After all, they can
                                        get photolithography down to the sub-micron level. What I would do is
                                        start with some CAD drawings and use them as the masks for the brass
                                        etchings. It should be fairly easy to create the etchings. The drawings
                                        might be a simple matter of taking the HO scale drawings in the MR Diesel
                                        Locomotives Cyclopedia and scaling them down to Z. I basically did that
                                        with a copy machine (reduce them to 40% of original size, which comes
                                        out to just over 1:220 -- 1:200 was about 39.7% IIRC).

                                        If the etched brass pieces are used as masters for resin, then we
                                        probably don't want them assembled. But that's a matter for the
                                        experienced folks.