Re: [z_scale] Track side structures

  • Scott A. Whitmire
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
      At 7/8/00 10:41 AM , you wrote:
      > Which brings me to the point, In everyones debate over my post I
      >believe my request for help on building ideas got overlooked!
      > To do this we want to build things you "want" not just things you
      >buy because they're new!

      Hmm...I could use several storage sheds, and some of those crossing
      control sheds. They look like large transformer boxes mounted on stilts,
      and can be found next to major grade crossings. They are usually metal
      and painted aluminum.

      Oh, and a couple of versions of the Northern Pacific terminals would
      be great. We have these things all over the Pacific Northwest. They
      almost never get torn down; they generally get reused. There are two
      or three standard layouts: one passenger, one freight, and one that
      sort of combines the two. Two very well-preserved examples are in
      Renton (used as the Spirit of Washington terminal) and the one in
      Kent (both in Washington State).

      I can see I'm going to have to invest some film...

      > And,,, while I'm on the subject, A while ago there was a great
      >conversation going on about co-opping on a GP, I think you guys are
      >on the right track, and although I think you have some serious R&D
      >work ahead, you should stick to it and stay on this track! Although
      >there is more products available now than ever before, its still not
      >enough to perpetuate the scale. Projects like the hood unit are whats
      >needed to bring fresh blood to Z.

      This is encouraging. I have two of the Faulhaber motors. I'll work up
      a drive mechanism, probably using MT F7 truck parts. I'll see about
      getting some gears from NWSL. The chassis could be a problem
      since I don't work much metal. For the intial carbody, I was thinking
      scratch building something (it only has to be close) out of styrene.

      Next question: which loco should we start with? GP40? GP30? GP35?

      >Anyway, enough comentary from me, post some ideas!
      >Don.

      Thanks, and keep it up. I'm always interested in people discussing product
      ideas, even if they do end up selling them.

      Scott Whitmire
      whitmire@...
    • dbouchard@uswestmail.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
        Scott,
        Great ideas, I really have been interested in a terminal or a building where locos are repaired and maintained(can't think of the name of these)Jon and I ran across a really nice one owned by(I think)Gundersen in Eugene OR on a trip up to see Jeffrey and his layout. I will also take a trip out to our local line here and get some photo's of the crossing control sheds.
        Thanks Scott, Keep 'em coming
        Don

        Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net