Track side structures

  • don bouchard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
      I want to thank all the members for there positive feedback on my
      earlier post, I'll try to keep everyone informed on future progress.
      Which brings me to the point, In everyones debate over my post I
      believe my request for help on building ideas got overlooked!
      Sure, Jon and I want to make money in this endeavor(Although
      telephone poles and gondola loads are not going make us rich:)but our
      main objective is to support a much larger project.
      To do this we want to build things you "want" not just things you
      buy because they're new!
      In the 3 or 4 years I have been dealing with Z scalers I have never
      found them to be short on opinions, (Or shy about giving them.)
      Here's your chance to get something "you" want. So lets hear some
      ideas!
      And,,, while I'm on the subject, A while ago there was a great
      conversation going on about co-opping on a GP, I think you guys are
      on the right track, and although I think you have some serious R&D
      work ahead, you should stick to it and stay on this track! Although
      there is more products available now than ever before, its still not
      enough to perpetuate the scale. Projects like the hood unit are whats
      needed to bring fresh blood to Z.

      Anyway, enough comentary from me, post some ideas!
      Don.
    • Scott A. Whitmire
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
        At 7/8/00 10:41 AM , you wrote:
        > Which brings me to the point, In everyones debate over my post I
        >believe my request for help on building ideas got overlooked!
        > To do this we want to build things you "want" not just things you
        >buy because they're new!

        Hmm...I could use several storage sheds, and some of those crossing
        control sheds. They look like large transformer boxes mounted on stilts,
        and can be found next to major grade crossings. They are usually metal
        and painted aluminum.

        Oh, and a couple of versions of the Northern Pacific terminals would
        be great. We have these things all over the Pacific Northwest. They
        almost never get torn down; they generally get reused. There are two
        or three standard layouts: one passenger, one freight, and one that
        sort of combines the two. Two very well-preserved examples are in
        Renton (used as the Spirit of Washington terminal) and the one in
        Kent (both in Washington State).

        I can see I'm going to have to invest some film...

        > And,,, while I'm on the subject, A while ago there was a great
        >conversation going on about co-opping on a GP, I think you guys are
        >on the right track, and although I think you have some serious R&D
        >work ahead, you should stick to it and stay on this track! Although
        >there is more products available now than ever before, its still not
        >enough to perpetuate the scale. Projects like the hood unit are whats
        >needed to bring fresh blood to Z.

        This is encouraging. I have two of the Faulhaber motors. I'll work up
        a drive mechanism, probably using MT F7 truck parts. I'll see about
        getting some gears from NWSL. The chassis could be a problem
        since I don't work much metal. For the intial carbody, I was thinking
        scratch building something (it only has to be close) out of styrene.

        Next question: which loco should we start with? GP40? GP30? GP35?

        >Anyway, enough comentary from me, post some ideas!
        >Don.

        Thanks, and keep it up. I'm always interested in people discussing product
        ideas, even if they do end up selling them.

        Scott Whitmire
        whitmire@...
      • dbouchard@uswestmail.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
          Scott,
          Great ideas, I really have been interested in a terminal or a building where locos are repaired and maintained(can't think of the name of these)Jon and I ran across a really nice one owned by(I think)Gundersen in Eugene OR on a trip up to see Jeffrey and his layout. I will also take a trip out to our local line here and get some photo's of the crossing control sheds.
          Thanks Scott, Keep 'em coming
          Don

          Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net