Update on new products

  • don bouchard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2000
      I figured I would let everyone know how my Z products were coming
      along. First of all, I've rejoined forces with Jon LaMere on these
      projects, we have decided to call the company BL products,(this was
      actually our second choice over "Two Fat Frogs" but we didn't want to
      offend anyone;) At this time we have finished the first mold and are
      waiting for production shots, Since I am begging machine time from my
      employer I don't exactly know when that will be. The first release
      will be telephone/telegraph poles. Retail price is expected to be
      around $4.50USD per 20. These poles will be shot in brown styrene and
      can be painted if desired. I will be sending samples to all the usual
      suspects for evaluation as soon as we run them.
      We have almost finished the second mold which is an 8 cavity quick
      change system. Its first production will be for gondola loads to fit
      MT gondolas. Each type of load will come with 4 "different" pcs. so
      that a long train of these cars doesn't look like it came out of
      a "cookie cutter". We will sell these in sets of 4 and the price has
      not yet been determined. First two loads to be offered are to be,
      coal/crushed rock and scrap metal,(You'll really like this one).
      They will be sold painted but can easily be repainted by you.
      That brings me to my next project, Track side buildings, I asked
      for ideas from you a while back and track side builings were a
      prominent response.
      I would like to know if anyone has any photo's or sketches of the
      type of building they would like to see produced, I only have access
      to west coast structures and would really like to build something
      everyone would like other than just myself and Terry Sutfin:)
      Anyway, I would like to hear your ideas, and see some pictures.
      I don't want this to sound like an advertisment(Yea, right)but any of
      you that know me personally know that I'm Not afraid to shoot my
      mouth off when given the chance.
      So heres the deal, Jon and myself have always thought that Z is too
      expensive and the problem is a catch 22. Not enough customers to keep
      the prices low, and too expensive to attract new customers.
      I am not in the position to solve this problem but I am going to
      do my best not to make it worse. Both Jon and myself are working real
      jobs and are doing this as a sideline(maybe someday that will change),
      We will post no release dates until we have products ready to ship
      Period! And we are going to do our best to base our prices on N scale
      retail! We have decided as long as we don't lose our shirts we will
      keep releasing products as fast as we can(without killing ourselves).
      Hopefuly, with more people doing what you have been discussing,
      (CO-OPing a locomotive)and some new products offered regularly we can
      expand Z to a point where companies like KATO will take notice, It
      can happen!

      Don Bouchard
    • don bouchard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2000
        I thought I would let everyone know that we ran test shots on three
        molds today, Telephone poles, Gondola loads of industrial scrap and
        Gondola loads of crushed rock/gravel. Other than tightening up a few
        parting lines everything looks pretty good. I will be taking some
        down to NMRA at San Jose and mailing the rest off to the magazines
        ect. for evaluation. When I know an actual release date I will make
        sure everyone knows.
        Cheers,
        Don
      • don bouchard
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2000
          OK, I screwed the address up, lets try this.
          blp @ rrmail . com
          Don
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2000
            Thanks for the heads up, Don. The list description mentions clearly 'new
            product announcements' so you should be safe from Flames ;-)

            Now , if I understand it correctly, we should contact you directly by email
            at blp@..., right? Just wanted to make sure!

            Take care and Happy Holidays,
            Jeffrey