OT - XPost - My Uncle Needs Assistance!

  • Mark Harrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2003
      Hello all!

      First, 2 apologies. #1: Sorry for the cross post. #2: Sorry for the
      off-topic request.

      You are all a great group with lots of good suggestions and expert knowledge.
      I am hoping someone may be able to help me, or more specifically, my Uncle.

      My Uncle lives in Oberbalzheim, Germany. Oberbalzheim is about 1 hour south
      of Ulm, between Ulm and Memmingen. A website (with a map) can be found here:
      http://www.balzheim.de/start-stiftung.html

      My Uncle and my late Oma were the ones who gave me my first Z Scale stuff back
      in the 70's and early 80's. He has also helped me in 2002 with
      recommendations of a few shops to go shopping at for more trains stuff. My Mom
      and I were visiting him at that time. While there, I was able to help him
      with his new computer, answering questions and fixing a few things on the PC.
      Being a computer professional, and with a few years of High School German
      under my belt (from oh-so-many years ago), I was able to navigate all the
      various Microsoft Menus, etc., all in German, but it took quite a while to
      find things. I do not have a large Computer Technical German vocabulary!

      My Uncle has recently purchased a new PC, and is having problems with it. He
      has Muscular Dystrophy, so it is VERY hard for him to get around any more. He
      had a family member try to assist him, but that family member decided to steal
      some hardware and software from my Uncle. After some neck-wringing, my Uncle
      finally got the stuff back, but you can probably guess how frustrated he was.

      He wants my help, and believe you me, I would LOVE to help him. But being in
      the U.S., with limited $$$ and vacation time, plus agonizing over how to fix
      things in German, I don't think I could help him very much.

      My query to you all is this: Does any one know of a club, a group, a
      reputable company or person who might be able to help him as he needs help? Or
      maybe even a student who might want a free meal or a few Euros.

      Please email me off-list.

      Again I apologize for the Off-topic and cross post, but I'm hoping someone can
      help me.

      Thanks in advance for your time.

      :-)

      - Mark Harrison