RE: [z_scale] Automated Pantographs

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8 10:21 AM
      Danny,

      This is a commercial product of a project I have been working on for some
      time: using "Muscle Wire" technology to raise and lower pantographs. I got
      it to work unreliably in a dining car, which has considerably more room to
      work with than a locomotive! These guys have set December as their target
      launch date.

      I own one of their Movie Train cameras - it is the best thing going for Z in
      video by far, but it is *expensive* I would expect the pantographs to be
      expensive too!

      On the other hand, it is a damn good show! Always leave it to the Japanese
      when it comes to miniaturization....

      Best,
      -Rob
      www.z220.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8 10:28 AM
        Realy, realy amaZing !!!

        First question is: how does it works?, do anybody have
        an idea?

        Next: HOW MUCH IS IT $$$$ ????

        Last: Where can I buy it?

        Best Regards

        --- Danny Goodman <dannyg@...> wrote:
        > This will blow you away:
        >
        > http://www.craft-s.com/
        >
        > Click on the animation to see the details page
        > (Japanese only,
        > unfortunately). Then, if you have Windows Media
        > Player, click on the little
        > tape symbol above the lower images.
        >
        > Danny
        > http://www.dannyg.com

        =====

        Best Regards

        Juan Carlos L.
        http://www.geocities.com/jcarloslm/JC_Main.html

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Robert Allbritton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8 11:14 AM
          They say they are using Muscle Wire technology. Muscle Wires are made of a
          special alloy that shrink and expand when an electrical current flows
          through them. Popular uses for Muscle Wires are robots and toys. The biggest
          problem is the current. I assume that when the power pack on the train goes
          to Zero, that the pantograph lowers - I could be wrong. I hope I can modify
          it to work with DCC!

          This is a really great idea, and looks like it could be a great product, but
          *very* expensive. I'm going to guess that it could be over $200 per
          locomotive.

          Best,
          -Rob

          =====