Automated Pantographs

  • Danny Goodman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
      This will blow you away:

      http://www.craft-s.com/

      Click on the animation to see the details page (Japanese only,
      unfortunately). Then, if you have Windows Media Player, click on the little
      tape symbol above the lower images.

      Danny
      http://www.dannyg.com
    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
        Danny,

        This is a commercial product of a project I have been working on for some
        time: using "Muscle Wire" technology to raise and lower pantographs. I got
        it to work unreliably in a dining car, which has considerably more room to
        work with than a locomotive! These guys have set December as their target
        launch date.

        I own one of their Movie Train cameras - it is the best thing going for Z in
        video by far, but it is *expensive* I would expect the pantographs to be
        expensive too!

        On the other hand, it is a damn good show! Always leave it to the Japanese
        when it comes to miniaturization....

        Best,
        -Rob
        www.z220.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
          Realy, realy amaZing !!!

          First question is: how does it works?, do anybody have
          an idea?

          Next: HOW MUCH IS IT $$$$ ????

          Last: Where can I buy it?

          Best Regards

          --- Danny Goodman <dannyg@...> wrote:
          > This will blow you away:
          >
          > http://www.craft-s.com/
          >
          > Click on the animation to see the details page
          > (Japanese only,
          > unfortunately). Then, if you have Windows Media
          > Player, click on the little
          > tape symbol above the lower images.
          >
          > Danny
          > http://www.dannyg.com

          =====

          Best Regards

          Juan Carlos L.
          http://www.geocities.com/jcarloslm/JC_Main.html

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
            They say they are using Muscle Wire technology. Muscle Wires are made of a
            special alloy that shrink and expand when an electrical current flows
            through them. Popular uses for Muscle Wires are robots and toys. The biggest
            problem is the current. I assume that when the power pack on the train goes
            to Zero, that the pantograph lowers - I could be wrong. I hope I can modify
            it to work with DCC!

            This is a really great idea, and looks like it could be a great product, but
            *very* expensive. I'm going to guess that it could be over $200 per
            locomotive.

            Best,
            -Rob

            =====