Re: [z_scale] Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth & Sculpta-mold Project

  • David George
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 9:08 AM
      The Golden~Blackhawk&Central city RR is/ was created mostly with W.C. Plaster Cloth. I also use a molding compound composed of Cell-u-clay / Sculptamold / and Elmers Glue. This compound is what I use to attach my rock castings and to mold the transition area between castings.It is also a great material to make smaller forms of geograghy and geology.
      I DO NOT lay the cut pieces of plaster cloth in a water bath before applying to forms. I had problems of controlling the material when it was pre-soaked. I find that if I take the cut pieces and hold them to the form while slowly dousing them with water from a large artists paint brush, or a spray bottle, I have better control of the shape and hold of the pieces.
      When building our Z layouts we probably have smaller areas to work on and most of the area is almost VERTICAL. By using small pieces of plaster cloth and the dab-on ,or spray-on method of water( folowed by forming with a wet brush) ,you will have less problems of folding -over and falling down plaster cloth during construction.

      David G.
      Spring, Tx.
      zbendtrack@... wrote:
      Hi all:

      One of our list members got hold of a "dead" box of Woodland Scenics
      Sculpta-mold product, and asked for help a few days back. Well, an N scaler has
      posted a website with excellent pictures of how all these products "should" work:

      <A HREF="http://www.ironpeng.com/mrr/ws_project.html">http://www.ironpeng.com/mrr/ws_project.html</A>

      If you have never seen these products in use outside of the manufacturer's
      website, then here's your chance. Thanks to Mike Tennent, the "IronPenguin",
      for posting the pictures and text. Hope he don't mind 900 Z scalers looking at
      his work. <smile>

      Bill K.
      Houston

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor