Favorite dealer, lighting, etc.

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 3:15 PM
      Zeds,

      My favorite dealer:

      Discount Model Trains 4641 Ratliff Lane, Addison, Texas 75001
      Tel: 972-931-8135; Toll-free: 800-387-2460 They have an excellent
      selection of MicroTrains Z, no Marklin. Not much in the way of Z
      structures, accessories, etc. They are looking for a new location at this
      time, and will become a Marklin dealer after they move. They do mailorder
      and have been very reliable and easy to deal with.

      The posts on lighting were very <enlightening> :-). I have one question
      about the use of LEDs: why is it desirable to use fiber optics as opposed
      to situating the LEDs directly in the structures? LEDs would seem to be
      the ideal light source because they are relatively inexpensive, last for
      years, use little power (i.e., they are extremely efficient) and they last
      roughly forever. They are susceptible to overvoltages, so you would have
      to be careful to make sure the power supply never exceeds their
      limitations.

      Malcolm Z