Re: [z_scale] First Post

  • M. Gottschalch
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      zbendtrack@... wrote:

      > The idea is obviously to run the bulbs on less voltage than they are rated
      > at.

      Bill,

      Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
      voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?
      --
      Manfred
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        Manfred:

        > Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
        > voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?

        You are correct. There are several solutions to operating lamps at reduced
        voltages:

        1 - A separate AC or DC transformer
        2 - A rheostat (of high wattage, not a simple "potentiometer")
        3 - Series full wave diode bridges (1.7v drop per shorted bridge)
        4 - A cheap power pack, using the DC throttle
        5 - Wiring lamps is series or series/parallel circuits (maybe not for
        beginners)

        Most of the small to medium size layouts don't have a lot of room for extra
        packs, I am guessing. Folks may only want the track pack, and nothing else
        on/around the layout. Solution 3 takes up the least room (and cost), with
        solution 2 right behind it. Buying overvoltage lamps takes no extra parts (or time)
        at all.

        (only my opinions follow, fame suit is in place):

        The key is extending lamp life and reducing temperatures. The fringe benefit
        is the very slight shift in color toward yellow to trick the eye into seeing
        "model lighting" different from room lighting.

        LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
        represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based street
        lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
        expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs might be
        something to consider also.

        Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
        talent, or time.

        PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
        tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
        night. <smile>

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Bob B
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
          Hello Frank,

          > I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
          > as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
          > a while now.

          FWIW Walthers have it listed 'in stock':

          http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Track&scale=Z&manu=Marklin&item=8950&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

          > So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
          > Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
          > opening larger than the one they supply.

          That won't be a problem, out of sight out of mind :-)

          --
          Regards, Bob
        • Bob B
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
            Hello T,

            > It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

            The talk of fiber optics has intrigued me and I will investigate
            that option further. It may make sourcing material easier down
            here in Australia, Z specific stuff is rare and pricey.

            --
            Regards, Bob
          • Scott A. Whitmire
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
              >LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
              >represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based
              >street
              >lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
              >expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs
              >might be
              >something to consider also.

              Did you see that scene in N Scale? That was done with a single LED.

              >Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
              >talent, or time.
              >
              >PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
              >tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
              >night. <smile>

              No kidding. My shopping list at that place grows daily. I especially like
              the lamp
              shades. Now, *every* building will have to be lit, both inside and out.

              >Bill K.
              >Houston

              Scott Whitmire