Re: [z_scale] Re: First Post

  • Bob B
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hello Frank,

      > A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
      > create such a light shield for any building.
      >
      > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
      > 8950 light.

      I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
      I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even notice
      it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is completed
      I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
      Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would the
      Vollmer alternative be better?

      --
      Regards, Bob
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        zbendtrack@... wrote:

        > The idea is obviously to run the bulbs on less voltage than they are rated
        > at.

        Bill,

        Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
        voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?
        --
        Manfred
      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
          It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

          make sure you can adjust the voltage to the bulb, as mentioned previously,
          maybe by dedicating a cheap trafo to just the 8950's.....

          "Bob B"
          <bbyrne@bigpond.n To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          et.au> cc:
          Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: First Post
          07/01/2003 07:41
          AM
          Please respond to
          z_scale

          Hello Frank,

          > A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
          > create such a light shield for any building.
          >
          > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
          > 8950 light.

          I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
          I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even notice
          it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is completed
          I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
          Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would the
          Vollmer alternative be better?

          --
          Regards, Bob

        • Frank Daniels
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bob B" <bbyrne@b...> wrote:
            > Hello Frank,
            >

            > > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
            > > 8950 light.
            >
            > I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
            > I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even
            notice
            > it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is
            completed
            > I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
            > Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would
            the
            > Vollmer alternative be better?
            >
            > --
            > Regards, Bob

            Hi Bob:

            I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
            as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
            a while now.

            Marklin is pretty slick...they make their opening
            just the size of the 8950's base.

            The Vollmer buildings are wide open at the base and
            you can fit any lighting inside.

            So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
            Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
            opening larger than the one they supply.

            Frank Daniels
            z.scale.hobo
          • zbendtrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
              Manfred:

              > Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
              > voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?

              You are correct. There are several solutions to operating lamps at reduced
              voltages:

              1 - A separate AC or DC transformer
              2 - A rheostat (of high wattage, not a simple "potentiometer")
              3 - Series full wave diode bridges (1.7v drop per shorted bridge)
              4 - A cheap power pack, using the DC throttle
              5 - Wiring lamps is series or series/parallel circuits (maybe not for
              beginners)

              Most of the small to medium size layouts don't have a lot of room for extra
              packs, I am guessing. Folks may only want the track pack, and nothing else
              on/around the layout. Solution 3 takes up the least room (and cost), with
              solution 2 right behind it. Buying overvoltage lamps takes no extra parts (or time)
              at all.

              (only my opinions follow, fame suit is in place):

              The key is extending lamp life and reducing temperatures. The fringe benefit
              is the very slight shift in color toward yellow to trick the eye into seeing
              "model lighting" different from room lighting.

              LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
              represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based street
              lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
              expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs might be
              something to consider also.

              Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
              talent, or time.

              PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
              tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
              night. <smile>

              Bill K.
              Houston

            • Bob B
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                Hello Frank,

                > I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
                > as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
                > a while now.

                FWIW Walthers have it listed 'in stock':

                http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Track&scale=Z&manu=Marklin&item=8950&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

                > So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
                > Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
                > opening larger than the one they supply.

                That won't be a problem, out of sight out of mind :-)

                --
                Regards, Bob
              • Bob B
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Hello T,

                  > It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

                  The talk of fiber optics has intrigued me and I will investigate
                  that option further. It may make sourcing material easier down
                  here in Australia, Z specific stuff is rare and pricey.

                  --
                  Regards, Bob
                • Scott A. Whitmire
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                    >LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
                    >represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based
                    >street
                    >lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
                    >expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs
                    >might be
                    >something to consider also.

                    Did you see that scene in N Scale? That was done with a single LED.

                    >Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
                    >talent, or time.
                    >
                    >PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
                    >tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
                    >night. <smile>

                    No kidding. My shopping list at that place grows daily. I especially like
                    the lamp
                    shades. Now, *every* building will have to be lit, both inside and out.

                    >Bill K.
                    >Houston

                    Scott Whitmire