Re: [z_scale] First Post

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 5:58 AM
      --- Scott <canuck1@...> a écrit : > New
      memeber here and already have benefited from
      > some of the posts.
      > One question. I am working on a new Z scale layout.
      > What are the
      > best lights to use to light the interiors of Z scale
      > buildings and
      > where is the best place to get them. I am in Canada
      > BTW but have no
      > problem with mail order.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Scott

      Hi Scott, try also on www.richmondcontrols.com
      Cheers
      Dominique

    • Bob B
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 7:41 AM
        Hello Frank,

        > A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
        > create such a light shield for any building.
        >
        > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
        > 8950 light.

        I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
        I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even notice
        it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is completed
        I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
        Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would the
        Vollmer alternative be better?

        --
        Regards, Bob
      • M. Gottschalch
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1 8:02 AM
          zbendtrack@... wrote:

          > The idea is obviously to run the bulbs on less voltage than they are rated
          > at.

          Bill,

          Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
          voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?
          --
          Manfred
        • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1 8:44 AM
            It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

            make sure you can adjust the voltage to the bulb, as mentioned previously,
            maybe by dedicating a cheap trafo to just the 8950's.....

            "Bob B"
            <bbyrne@bigpond.n To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            et.au> cc:
            Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: First Post
            07/01/2003 07:41
            AM
            Please respond to
            z_scale

            Hello Frank,

            > A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
            > create such a light shield for any building.
            >
            > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
            > 8950 light.

            I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
            I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even notice
            it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is completed
            I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
            Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would the
            Vollmer alternative be better?

            --
            Regards, Bob

          • Frank Daniels
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1 8:50 AM
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bob B" <bbyrne@b...> wrote:
              > Hello Frank,
              >

              > > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
              > > 8950 light.
              >
              > I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
              > I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even
              notice
              > it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is
              completed
              > I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
              > Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would
              the
              > Vollmer alternative be better?
              >
              > --
              > Regards, Bob

              Hi Bob:

              I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
              as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
              a while now.

              Marklin is pretty slick...they make their opening
              just the size of the 8950's base.

              The Vollmer buildings are wide open at the base and
              you can fit any lighting inside.

              So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
              Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
              opening larger than the one they supply.

              Frank Daniels
              z.scale.hobo
            • zbendtrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1 11:04 AM
                Manfred:

                > Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
                > voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?

                You are correct. There are several solutions to operating lamps at reduced
                voltages:

                1 - A separate AC or DC transformer
                2 - A rheostat (of high wattage, not a simple "potentiometer")
                3 - Series full wave diode bridges (1.7v drop per shorted bridge)
                4 - A cheap power pack, using the DC throttle
                5 - Wiring lamps is series or series/parallel circuits (maybe not for
                beginners)

                Most of the small to medium size layouts don't have a lot of room for extra
                packs, I am guessing. Folks may only want the track pack, and nothing else
                on/around the layout. Solution 3 takes up the least room (and cost), with
                solution 2 right behind it. Buying overvoltage lamps takes no extra parts (or time)
                at all.

                (only my opinions follow, fame suit is in place):

                The key is extending lamp life and reducing temperatures. The fringe benefit
                is the very slight shift in color toward yellow to trick the eye into seeing
                "model lighting" different from room lighting.

                LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
                represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based street
                lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
                expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs might be
                something to consider also.

                Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
                talent, or time.

                PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
                tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
                night. <smile>

                Bill K.
                Houston

              • Bob B
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1 8:13 PM
                  Hello Frank,

                  > I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
                  > as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
                  > a while now.

                  FWIW Walthers have it listed 'in stock':

                  http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Track&scale=Z&manu=Marklin&item=8950&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

                  > So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
                  > Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
                  > opening larger than the one they supply.

                  That won't be a problem, out of sight out of mind :-)

                  --
                  Regards, Bob
                • Bob B
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1 8:19 PM
                    Hello T,

                    > It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

                    The talk of fiber optics has intrigued me and I will investigate
                    that option further. It may make sourcing material easier down
                    here in Australia, Z specific stuff is rare and pricey.

                    --
                    Regards, Bob
                  • Scott A. Whitmire
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1 11:24 PM
                      >LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
                      >represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based
                      >street
                      >lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
                      >expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs
                      >might be
                      >something to consider also.

                      Did you see that scene in N Scale? That was done with a single LED.

                      >Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
                      >talent, or time.
                      >
                      >PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
                      >tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
                      >night. <smile>

                      No kidding. My shopping list at that place grows daily. I especially like
                      the lamp
                      shades. Now, *every* building will have to be lit, both inside and out.

                      >Bill K.
                      >Houston

                      Scott Whitmire