Re: First Post

  • Frank Daniels
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2003
      Bill:

      Nice insight.

      May I add that Vollmer buildings include pretty handy
      little cutouts that fit inside their buildings. These
      are black with various-colored translucent paper at the
      window/door areas.

      When the light is turned on, the black areas "insulate"
      the light from escaping and the window openings allow
      light out right where you want it.

      A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
      create such a light shield for any building.

      Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
      8950 light.

      Regards,
      Frank D
      z.scale.hobo

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
      > Scott:
      >
      > > One question. I am working on a new Z scale layout. What are
      the
      > > best lights to use to light the interiors of Z scale buildings
      and
      > > where is the best place to get them.
      > For most of these structures, even with the exterior painted, when
      you put a
      > bulb inside and turn off the room lights, they will look like
      lighted
      > ornaments on a Christmas tree. The walls, roof and window frames
      will glow brightly
      > even with a small bulb inside.
      >
      > The first step is to insure the walls, window frames and roof are
      not
      > transparent to light. Different folks use different techniques of
      stopping light
      > transmission such as aluminum foil glued to the walls/roof or
      black or silver
      > paint on the inside of the building. White paint just won't stop
      it, by the way <
      > sad experience face>
      >
      > Once the building is no longer translucent, then you can consider
      the
      > application of paint or paper so that when you look inside the
      windows and doors, you
      > won't see the "light block" foil, coal black paint or stark silver
      paint. I
      > use an off-white dull finish paint. Others may have other ideas
      for a color.
      > Even small pieces of real wall paper could work.
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- Scott <canuck1@...> a écrit : > New
        memeber here and already have benefited from
        > some of the posts.
        > One question. I am working on a new Z scale layout.
        > What are the
        > best lights to use to light the interiors of Z scale
        > buildings and
        > where is the best place to get them. I am in Canada
        > BTW but have no
        > problem with mail order.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Scott

        Hi Scott, try also on www.richmondcontrols.com
        Cheers
        Dominique

      • Bob B
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
          Hello Frank,

          > A nice touch by Vollmer and I am sure anyone can custom
          > create such a light shield for any building.
          >
          > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
          > 8950 light.

          I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
          I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even notice
          it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is completed
          I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
          Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would the
          Vollmer alternative be better?

          --
          Regards, Bob
        • M. Gottschalch
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
            zbendtrack@... wrote:

            > The idea is obviously to run the bulbs on less voltage than they are rated
            > at.

            Bill,

            Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
            voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?
            --
            Manfred
          • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
              It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

              make sure you can adjust the voltage to the bulb, as mentioned previously,
              maybe by dedicating a cheap trafo to just the 8950's.....

              "Bob B"
              <bbyrne@bigpond.n To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              et.au> cc:
              Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: First Post
              07/01/2003 07:41
              AM
              Please respond to
              z_scale

              Hello Frank,

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bob B" <bbyrne@b...> wrote:
                > Hello Frank,
                >

                > > Also, Vollmer offers a lower-cost alternative to Marklin's
                > > 8950 light.
                >
                > I'm glad you mentioned the 8950 as it is on my shopping list.
                > I've built a Marklin 8970 Wintersdorf Station and didn't even
                notice
                > it had a hole in the base for the 8950. Of course now it is
                completed
                > I can't get access to the interior to "seal" it if required.
                > Is the 8950 in fact suitable for such a small building or would
                the
                > Vollmer alternative be better?
                >
                > --
                > Regards, Bob

                Hi Bob:

                I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
                as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
                a while now.

                Marklin is pretty slick...they make their opening
                just the size of the 8950's base.

                The Vollmer buildings are wide open at the base and
                you can fit any lighting inside.

                So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
                Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
                opening larger than the one they supply.

                Frank Daniels
                z.scale.hobo
              • zbendtrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Manfred:

                  > Wouldn't a reostat in line with one of the leads allow you to adjust the
                  > voltage and brightness of the lamps as well?

                  You are correct. There are several solutions to operating lamps at reduced
                  voltages:

                  1 - A separate AC or DC transformer
                  2 - A rheostat (of high wattage, not a simple "potentiometer")
                  3 - Series full wave diode bridges (1.7v drop per shorted bridge)
                  4 - A cheap power pack, using the DC throttle
                  5 - Wiring lamps is series or series/parallel circuits (maybe not for
                  beginners)

                  Most of the small to medium size layouts don't have a lot of room for extra
                  packs, I am guessing. Folks may only want the track pack, and nothing else
                  on/around the layout. Solution 3 takes up the least room (and cost), with
                  solution 2 right behind it. Buying overvoltage lamps takes no extra parts (or time)
                  at all.

                  (only my opinions follow, fame suit is in place):

                  The key is extending lamp life and reducing temperatures. The fringe benefit
                  is the very slight shift in color toward yellow to trick the eye into seeing
                  "model lighting" different from room lighting.

                  LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
                  represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based street
                  lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
                  expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs might be
                  something to consider also.

                  Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
                  talent, or time.

                  PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
                  tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
                  night. <smile>

                  Bill K.
                  Houston

                • Bob B
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                    Hello Frank,

                    > I believe the 8950 is on quite a few shopping lists,
                    > as it has been out of stock from Marklin USA for quite
                    > a while now.

                    FWIW Walthers have it listed 'in stock':

                    http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Track&scale=Z&manu=Marklin&item=8950&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

                    > So, no, the Vollmer light will not work for the 8950
                    > Wintersdorf station, unless you custom hack an
                    > opening larger than the one they supply.

                    That won't be a problem, out of sight out of mind :-)

                    --
                    Regards, Bob
                  • Bob B
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                      Hello T,

                      > It is suitable...but you will have a glowing building...

                      The talk of fiber optics has intrigued me and I will investigate
                      that option further. It may make sourcing material easier down
                      here in Australia, Z specific stuff is rare and pricey.

                      --
                      Regards, Bob
                    • Scott A. Whitmire
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
                        >LED's work, but most yellow LEDs are really yellow, perhaps too yellow to
                        >represent filament type interior lighting. It does represent sodium based
                        >street
                        >lighting just fine. White LEDs work, but they are super bright and
                        >expensive, which might be a consideration. Color correction of white LEDs
                        >might be
                        >something to consider also.

                        Did you see that scene in N Scale? That was done with a single LED.

                        >Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone has the same level of
                        >talent, or time.
                        >
                        >PS to Scott Whitmire: You should have never posted the URL on the source of
                        >tiny tubing and lighting accessories. Cost me $50 on a web-placed order last
                        >night. <smile>

                        No kidding. My shopping list at that place grows daily. I especially like
                        the lamp
                        shades. Now, *every* building will have to be lit, both inside and out.

                        >Bill K.
                        >Houston

                        Scott Whitmire