MT in Europe?

  • gede@xxxxx.xx
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 1999
      Greetings all,

      I was wondering if anyone in Europe has bought any
      MT stuff? Also, has anyone living in Europe any
      experience modelling a US environment? Is it
      possible to buy american-style buidlings, cars etc...

      Cheers, Gunnar Edebrant, Gothenburg, Sweden.

      Ps. Since I need something to do with my spare time
      (Yeah, right!) I've started a little project of mine;
      I've begun a compilation of most of the useful
      stuff written on Z-modelling on the Z-scale and Z92
      lists. It will, eventually, be some sort of a FAQ for
      for Z-scale modelling. I'll try to throw together a
      first try which I then will present to these list
      for further input/opinions. I can't make any promise
      as to when it's going to be completed but I'll try to
      have the first draft out ASAP.
    • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 1999
        Gunnar:

        > I was wondering if anyone in Europe has bought any
        > MT stuff? Also, has anyone living in Europe any
        > experience modelling a US environment? Is it
        > possible to buy american-style buidlings, cars etc...

        For folks in Sweden, contact:

        Jan Lowenberg jl@...
        Anders Lattermann
      • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 1999
          Hello Gunnar,

          although I am not - at least not yet... - modelling in US-style, I could not
          resist, buying 2 "F-7" from MT. They are presenting great running/pulling
          qualities due to their motors and weight !

          About cars, no idea, but houses in photoetched brass by "Microstructures" are
          really great, not easy to build - ....but you've got much time to spare, you
          wrote..... - and they cost a little something....

          I appreciate your idea to put together the bulk informations that came over
          the 2 mailing lists ! - I am no longer a subscriber of the "Z-Club-92"
          mailing list.

          Best regards and have a great weekend !
          Wolfgang - "THE Zee-Man"
        • Lowenberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 1999
            Gunnar asked some time ago:

            > I was wondering if anyone in Europe has bought any
            > MT stuff? Also, has anyone living in Europe any
            > experience modelling a US environment? Is it
            > possible to buy american-style buidlings, cars etc...

            Hej Gunnar. Hur �r l�get? <-- Greeting phrase in Swedish.

            I have decided to build US because 1) They have nice trains over there and I
            like the US style of building layouts and 2) have you seen anything Swedish
            in Z? I guess not.

            Just home from a fantastic 4 week journey through US I have some experience
            of the US Z market. At first I must admit that the contacts with US hobby
            shops was a depressing experience. Seems G scale is very popular. So when I
            found one who had some Z I almost bought everything they had.

            From Anders here in Stockholm I had got a tip of a shop in California and
            with the help of the Model Railroader index I was able to find THE Z shop!
            Named Loco-Boose Electric Train shop it's located in Redwood City in the
            northern part of Silicon Valley.

            When I came into the shop I first thought I was looking at N scale. What an
            amount of Z! A lot of Marklin, some of the models I recognized as being out
            of the catalogue for several years. But what really stroked my attention was
            the MicroTrains glass counter. Yes, they have everything in an exemplary
            order, no cardboard boxes back in the rear.

            They seemed to have almost everything MicroTrains have. Every color of the
            F7 and lots and lots of cars. And they were at least $15 less then the
            former shop I visited. Beside MT they also stocked the complete line of
            Marklin US Z buildings and Micro Structures brass buildings, autos and
            complete ready made Z layouts and much more.

            It was really like Christmas but (luckily?) my wife was along and stepped on
            the brakes before all of the travelling funds were spent.

            I had never seen a MicroTrains model in real before. My arsenal consisted
            solely of Marklin. Three F7 (one is an A-B-A) and a Mikado steamer along
            with about 25 cars. All US models. But after MicroTrains I tend to agree
            with someone who said that Marklins are mere toys in comparison. The MT F7s
            are a joy to look closely at. I have a good sense for proportions (at least
            when comes to pictures and "things") and Marklins F7s make me laugh. It's
            like looking at an outstretched rubber model.

            And the MT couplers! Very tiny, real looking and works beautifully. I placed
            the uncoupler magnet right under the track of my test oval so it made a
            large bump but despite that it worked immediately. But I think I got the
            wrong size of magnets, they seem a bit large. Anyone who knows if I can cut
            them in two? They are of parts #308.

            The cars I bought are mainly box cars and unlike Marklin who has only one in
            different colors MT has lots of different models. Besides 40' and 50' there
            are some with opening doors, some with double doors etc. Among the eleven
            box cars I bought there are nine different models.

            I should also mention the trucks (boogies) that are correctly positioned and
            are available in different types.; Bettendorf etc. You can buy them
            separately to modify Marklin cars but it becomes quite expensive. Otherwise
            MT is much cheaper than Marklin.

            I also bought some MT track and it's absolutely the best looking Z track
            I've seen. The rails are thinner making it look not as clumsy as the others.
            And it's real flextrack you don't have to cut underneath. It is said to be
            Marklin / Peco compatible but I have not tested yet.

            Now I only have to make the decision if I should get rid of those clumsy
            Marklin couplers and go MT all the way or just have different train setups.

            So now you know Gunnar, and the rest of you. Go ahead! And you Gunnar who
            live in Gothenburg, what they used to call "small America".

            BTW. The Loco-Boose Train Shop have the address: 260-D Main Street, Redwood
            City, CA 94063. Phone: (650) 368-1254, Fax: (650) 368-0590. No, I don't have
            a contract with them ;-).

            Best regards,

            Jan Lowenberg / Sweden

            And if Anders doesn't deliver any weather report from Stockholm today I'll
            tell you that it's a clear blue sky and about 25 C, definitely warmer then
            in S.F.
          • Seba
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 1999
              Hi all
              I begun a small collection of Z MT scale about two years ago.
              Now I'm selling all my Z american stuff in eBay.
              Endig today are an Union Pacific F-7
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=157310747
              and five goods car
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=157312136
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=157312685
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=157313336
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=157313705
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=157314028
              One other loco plus 10 cars in eBay will end next week.
              Have a look
              Seba
              ________________________________
              Sebastiano Garofalo
              JRC - Ispra
              E.mail: sebastiano.garofalo@...
              E.mail: sebastiano.garofalo@...
              X.400: g=Sebastiano;s=Garofalo;p=ccrispra;a=garr;c=it

              -------------------
              From: jl@...
              To: z_scale@onelist.com
              Subject: Re: [z_scale] MT in Europe?
              Date: 10/09/1999 15.43

              From: "Lowenberg" <jl@...>

              Gunnar asked some time ago:

              > I was wondering if anyone in Europe has bought any
              > MT stuff? Also, has anyone living in Europe any
              > experience modelling a US environment? Is it
              > possible to buy american-style buidlings, cars etc...

              Hej Gunnar. Hur �r l�get? <-- Greeting phrase in Swedish.

              I have decided to build US because 1) They have nice trains over there
              and I
              like the US style of building layouts and 2) have you seen anything
              Swedish
              in Z? I guess not.

              Just home from a fantastic 4 week journey through US I have some
              experience
              of the US Z market. At first I must admit that the contacts with US
              hobby
              shops was a depressing experience. Seems G scale is very popular. So
              when I
              found one who had some Z I almost bought everything they had.

              From Anders here in Stockholm I had got a tip of a shop in California
              and
[...]

              Enter ONElist's Friends & Family Program
              WIN $100 to Amazon.com! Through Sept. 17. To enter, click here

              Z Scale RULES!
            • Lowenberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 1999
                Hi Seba,

                I see why you stopped collecting; wrong couplers ;-). Sorry.

                Jan