Z-scale availability

  • scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
      Yes we are a little less supplied with items then our N-scale big
      brothers. I model in both scales and sometimes wish Atlas or Model
      Power would come out with some American rolling stock and buildings
      at a reasonable price. It's too bad Marklin and Micro-Trains could
      not form a temporary partnership for using Marklin Z-scale passenger
      cars molds to make basic passenger car bodies for the Micro-Trains
      crew to finish out. Just think of all the great 20th century trains
      the Micro guys could model at a more resonable price! It's a fact of
      life even American Z-Lines has their locos made by a Korean firm then
      shipped here. BTW Micro Trains, could the standard motor you use in
      your F-7's be rotated 90 degrees and be placed in the cab enclousure
      of a GP-9 with a powered front truck and a weighted back end in the
      narrow body of the loco? Over on the N-scale group a member has
      utilized a pager motor and NWSL gears to power a Classic Metal Works
      Ford P/U as a railcar! It be great if one of our craftsman model
      makers came out with a industrial switcher kit that we could drop one
      of the pager motors in. Yes it's very frustrating to go into a train
      store and see long aisles of N and HO scale stuff and nary a Z-scale
      item in stock. The few times my local hobby shops have had a stray
      Micro-Trains, Marklin or Volmer item in, I've snapped it up right
      away like a hungry kid in a candy store. I just wish Walthers would
      offer a few more Z-scale items on sale in their monthly flier ;)
    • Mr. W
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
        Unfortunately, for several reasons, I highly doubt you'll ever see
        such a loco configuration from MTL. Pager motors also have their own
        problems. They tend to run at a max voltage of either 1.5v or 3v,
        which is a small fraction of what rail voltage is. I've seen the
        railcar, and it is very impressive. However, it is not a strong
        foundation for building locomotives.
        I think that the hope must remain in the small 8mm coreless motors,
        like those that AZL uses, for Z-scale hood units. Of course, the down
        side of this is that these motors are much more expensive than
        comparable permanent magnet motors.
        For what it's worth...

        Mr. W

        On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:10:37 -0000, scott <clockdragger2000@...>
        wrote:

        > Yes we are a little less supplied with items then our N-scale big
        > brothers. I model in both scales and sometimes wish Atlas or Model
        > Power would come out with some American rolling stock and buildings
        > at a reasonable price. It's too bad Marklin and Micro-Trains could
        > not form a temporary partnership for using Marklin Z-scale passenger
        > cars molds to make basic passenger car bodies for the Micro-Trains
        > crew to finish out. Just think of all the great 20th century trains
        > the Micro guys could model at a more resonable price! It's a fact of
        > life even American Z-Lines has their locos made by a Korean firm then
        > shipped here. BTW Micro Trains, could the standard motor you use in
        > your F-7's be rotated 90 degrees and be placed in the cab enclousure
        > of a GP-9 with a powered front truck and a weighted back end in the
        > narrow body of the loco? Over on the N-scale group a member has
        > utilized a pager motor and NWSL gears to power a Classic Metal Works
        > Ford P/U as a railcar! It be great if one of our craftsman model
        > makers came out with a industrial switcher kit that we could drop one
        > of the pager motors in. Yes it's very frustrating to go into a train
        > store and see long aisles of N and HO scale stuff and nary a Z-scale
        > item in stock. The few times my local hobby shops have had a stray
        > Micro-Trains, Marklin or Volmer item in, I've snapped it up right
        > away like a hungry kid in a candy store. I just wish Walthers would
        > offer a few more Z-scale items on sale in their monthly flier ;)

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2003
          > I think that the hope must remain in the small 8mm
          > coreless motors,
          > like those that AZL uses, for Z-scale hood units.
          > Of course, the down
          > side of this is that these motors are much more
          > expensive than
          > comparable permanent magnet motors.
          > For what it's worth...
          >
          > Mr. W

          Dear Mr W, I think you're right, the Faulhaber
          coreless 8mm type motor should be the only solution.
          But, provided this kind of motor has a cost of about
          100 USD, I think an Atlas or Kato high series type
          loco should be in the more affordable 200-250 USD
          range, not very higher than a 150-180 USD Marklin
          loco...
          Cheers
          Dominique